Author Topic: A bad sign!  (Read 1023 times)

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
A bad sign!
« on: Mar 01, 2010, 03:42 PM »
Went out fishing on Rice lake today and instead of catching the usual, to my surprise I kept on landing goby.   These weren't your typical small goby's either as some were about 6-8" long.  I wasn't happy to see these coming up through the hole and either were my buddies.  Needless to say we killed about 20 of them in about 3 hours of fishing.  To top this off my friend even landed a small 10" speckle trout which shouldn't even be in Rice lake!  My guess is that someone released it or it simply made it's way down from the annual greenwing even held here in Peterborough between lock 20-21.  Such a strange day of fishing!!!

Offline Ice Cream Headache

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: A bad sign!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:34 PM »
I am pretty sure I heard of people catching Speckles in Rice in the past.  Doesn't happen often now, but used to be more common from my understanding.  I believe they were in only one part of the lake, but don't recall which.

The gobies are obviously somewhat new =\  I haven't caught one yet, but didn't fish Rice much last year.

Offline fish_boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quinte Walleye
« Reply #2 on: Mar 05, 2010, 02:06 PM »
Gobies have been in Rice lake for a few years now. The MNR is aware of them in the system. If you do happen to catch them do not release them. Kill them and take them off the ice with you.

Offline Gregger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2010, 06:08 AM »
There were alot of trout escape from the fish culture station in Harwood last year. It's on the south shore between Gores Lnding and Roseneath. I figured they wouldn't have survived the warm temps of rice during the summer. Guess you proved me wrong.
Vegetarian=Indian word for bad hunter

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.