The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Statewide is OFF ! UPDATED !!!!  (Read 23214 times)

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
Re: Statewide is OFF ! UPDATED !!!!
« Reply #90 on: Mar 02, 2010, 07:56 PM »
This is all extremely unfortunate for all the guys up this way that like to participate in the statewide especially when driving all the way down to Sebago is just not economical for most. :'(  
The good derbies are going to heck on me.  The three biggest derbies I really look forward to fishing every year have been cancelled.  First Sebago, now the statewide, and Winni. :'(  Looks like it's going to be more of a drinking weekend on the ice, rather than a serious fishing weekend for me. :blink: ;D ;D

I guess that guy down on the Andro in Turner can go let his tied up fish go now. ;D

Offline Derbyguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Statewide is on ! UPDATED !!!!
« Reply #91 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:04 PM »
OK, I have a question Tom, as it may not be clear in your post.
All the $$$ that would have been won in the fish catagories will still be given away in raffle form?
Yes, all prizes including cash will be given away to entrants. In this drawing you can only win once since it's based on entries not fish.

Offline Derbyguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:06 PM »
tom i'm not in yet, i was waiting to hear the call frankly. can i still buy a ticket now anyway and be entered for the prizes. thought i'd put it out there. ;D
Yes you can still enter. Cut off is the same - Saturday noon. By the way, best odds around.

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #93 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:10 PM »
i'd have liked to have fished it. but i'm still fishing somewhere. where is the best place to purchase a ticket?

thanks again

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Can people buy multiple entries if they wanna increase their chances?

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #95 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:11 PM »
Yes, all prizes including cash will be given away to entrants. In this drawing you can only win once since it's based on entries not fish.
Well, I guess we'll have a lot of winners then.  :clap:

Offline Backwater_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dedicated to Fishing
« Reply #96 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:12 PM »
All I know is we are all in trouble with the whole drawing situation if Butch's wife has her hand in the hat again.  Wouldn't it be something to see him win the truck to pull his new boat and atv. ;D  I guess I should just forget I even bought a ticket.

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #97 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:13 PM »
This winter has been a bummer, but these guys had to make a call and we should support them.  
Heck it's for charity!
I checked some ice conditions in Belgrade Lakes today and it's NOT very good.  From what I saw here it was a good decision.

Offline EASTGRANDEST

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Serious
« Reply #98 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:27 PM »

I guess that guy down on the Andro in Turner can go let his tied up fish go now. ;D

LMAO HAHA LOL
,we call them junk fish!

Offline Maka

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maximum Fish Extraction Please...
« Reply #99 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:41 PM »
I was just panfishing for the last 3 hours right here in the heart of York County, still plenty of good ice, only 1 crappie and 2 perch tho. 

Can't blame them though for cancelling it, I'm sure if anyone, anywhere, in the State went through this weekend, it'd generate bad press and blame for them....

Offline EASTGRANDEST

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Serious
« Reply #100 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Derby or no derby I will be on East Grand.
,we call them junk fish!

Offline smeltslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New Vineyard,Me
« Reply #101 on: Mar 02, 2010, 08:53 PM »
An absolute kick in the balls the way I see it. Wonder how this will hurt the derby in future? Especially those folks up north. :-\ :-\  Gonna go kill a pile of pike anyway!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline bowhuntME

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:05 PM »
The people in the south took their chance. It screws the people with brains that paid good $$$ to plan a trip up north try to win some dough

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #103 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:17 PM »
It's understood that the last thing derby officials wanted to do was cancel this event . I wouldnt want to be in there shoes...it has been an off year for sure   :-\  maybe Ill pull the boat out this weekend  ::)

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:38 PM »
must be somewhere to troll seeing there's no ice down there  ::)
  maybe Ill pull the boat out this weekend  ::)

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline tcfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #105 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:10 PM »

Well that just sucks!!!  From what i,m hereing and seeing most places have better ice now than sebago had for the sebago derby !!???
 Whatever ---------- >:(  Just go fishin  :tipup:
i ain't scared

Offline lakertaker1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • lakertaker
« Reply #106 on: Mar 02, 2010, 10:43 PM »
untie your fish boys we can let hem all go now, let them swim free ;D
lakertaker

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #107 on: Mar 02, 2010, 11:22 PM »
With all the comments on here, you get views both ways. My take on this whole adventure would have been to have one derby statewide in the first place! That way, everyone could have fished where ever they wanted to. It would reduce the logistics involved and more precipitants = more$. :)   

Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Mar 02, 2010, 11:54 PM »
I won't be wasting my time on any more derbys.I can make up my own mind whether to fish or not.

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #109 on: Mar 03, 2010, 03:56 AM »
I won't be wasting my time on any more derbys.I can make up my own mind whether to fish or not.
always "T"time..............ling uini wants your empties......... ;)
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:44 AM »
we have almost 3ft. of ice and are still safely driving trucks on the fish river chain! bet if we didnt have safe ice up here there would still be a derby! n. maine had a good chance of benifiting from this event from fishermen coming north and as usual we get the bum rap because we have less say due to less people up here! for once someone up here actually had a chance of getting a 1st. place togue instead of sebago or moosehead getting it. couldnt let that happen tho.! b.s.! sorry derbyguy i dont agree w/ the decision. all of us responsible fishermen got to pay for the so called idiot fishermen that dont have enough brains to stay off unsafe ice! why should the rest of us pay for thier stupidity! its not right!

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #111 on: Mar 03, 2010, 04:54 AM »
Apparently the deciding factor is ice in York county.  Cant have anyone in southern Maine inconvenienced or having to drive anywhere.

Offline Jason

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:04 AM »
I live in York County, the southern part of it even, and I think this is a dumb idea.  I doubt I will buy any derby tickets in the future.  I am still going to drive 5 hours this weekend and catch a 20 pound laker too.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #113 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:06 AM »
I've had a night to think about this and I can't get away from the fact that the standard for "safe" conditions (a derby "go") went from 6" of ice on 10% of one pond to 24" min. on a pond of your choosing as a derby "no go".  :blink:  Surfice it to say, somebody pretty high up must have "helped" shape the Rotarian's thought process. :-\

I feel bad for the people in these small downeast and northern Maine towns that were counting on the revenue that would have been generated by people flocking to these locales in search of safe conditions.  Coupled with no snow this winter, this could be a real crippler for many small businesses just trying to hang on. :(

I would suggest an idea like a statewide derby on the June free fishing weekend but would be afraid that it would just end up being cancelled because the chop on Sebago and Moosehead that day would be too great and people could not be trusted on their own to search out smaller, safer bodies of water to fish........ ::)

I feel bad for the the luck the Rotarian's and any other Derby organizers have had this winter and will be purchasing a derby tickets for that reason and would encourage others to do so as well.  The cause and need is just as great even if the decision making methodology leaves people scratching their heads....

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:09 AM »
Even I think it is an odd decision but,

I guess I thought icefishing was about new spots, fish, buddies, good food and drink, new friendships, and getting outdoors in the winter.  Not sure why anyone would back out of a planned trip with buddies to a body of water where they think they could catch a big fish because a derby was cancelled.  But that is just the way I roll I guess.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #115 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:15 AM »
Maybe we shouldn't have open water fishing in "Northen Mass" till the ice in Maine has all open up for safe boatin. NO Sebago trollin till June 1st!. But on a good note atleast we wont be flooded with tourist like fall foliage, be a nice day one the ice now

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:41 AM »
Apparently the deciding factor is ice in York county.  Cant have anyone in southern Maine inconvenienced or having to drive anywhere.
exactly! but i have to drive 5-6hrs. to go striper or pike fishing and i make alot less money than most that live in s. maine and i still managed it. too many spoiled people down there that insist on getting their way and dont think how this is gonna affect ALL of maine!! still going for muskie anyway. hope to see some of you dissappointed fishermen out there anyway. would be nice to get a new state record muskie to show the derby people what they missed!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:42 AM »
I live in York County, the southern part of it even, and I think this is a dumb idea.  I doubt I will buy any derby tickets in the future.  I am still going to drive 5 hours this weekend and catch a 20 pound laker too.
now thats the spirt! give em' hell anyway boys!

Offline Mike G

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #118 on: Mar 03, 2010, 05:49 AM »
Apparently the deciding factor is ice in York county.
Isn't York in New Hampshire anyway  ;D  ;D

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Mar 03, 2010, 06:00 AM »
exactly! but i have to drive 5-6hrs. to go striper or pike fishing and i make alot less money than most that live in s. maine and i still managed it. too many spoiled people down there that insist on getting their way and dont think how this is gonna affect ALL of maine!! still going for muskie anyway. hope to see some of you dissappointed fishermen out there anyway. would be nice to get a new state record muskie to show the derby people what they missed!

Fishing with Devon and Glenn on a nice body of water...you won already.

Steve, we drive 3 hours to fish and never leave the County. 8)
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.