The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Statewide is OFF ! UPDATED !!!!  (Read 23234 times)

Offline ICEDINN

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Statewide is OFF ! UPDATED !!!!
« Reply #120 on: Mar 03, 2010, 06:05 AM »
Gee how many people went through the ice just a weekend or two ago ??? Now someone makes a call to close the Derby and you all cry ??? Makes one wonder !!! If you have plans to go fishing up North GO! If money is driving your fishing Iver got news for all of you....you will never get rich ! ENJOY FISHING for what it is FUN !!! Now go catch some fish when its SAFE !!!!

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
Re: Statewide is on ! UPDATED !!!!
« Reply #121 on: Mar 03, 2010, 06:10 AM »
    Yes the Statewide is cancelled. Anyone who bought a ticket to the Statewide only can be refunded if the request is made before the drawings on Tuesday. All prizes ($40,000+) will be given to derby entrants through drawings. If you withdraw, you will not be eligible for the prizes.
      This was a difficult decision to make. We had 19 of 25 weigh stations reporting that they had dangerous ice conditions in their area. The weather forecasts also were not that promising. I can tell you that all of your posts to this thread were mentioned at the meeting.
       Those of us who have put several hundreds of hours into this had to make a tough decision. You can now decide whether you fish or not, where you will go or not, whether you stay in or not.
       Those that enter still have a $20 shot at a truck, ATV and other prizes. Plus you will have the knowledge that every cent you spent will go to the hungry in Maine and other local charities.
Out of the 19 weigh stations reporting "dangerous Ice" how many actually had someone capable of knowing good ice from bad ice??
You should have left the politics out of it and told the reporters to take a hike......
What the hell is this world coming to??

Oh well Break out the RUM it's going to be a long weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Maka

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Maximum Fish Extraction Please...
« Reply #122 on: Mar 03, 2010, 06:20 AM »
Apparently the deciding factor is ice in York county.  Cant have anyone in southern Maine inconvenienced or having to drive anywhere.

Please tread lightly on blaming everyone down here in York County for something here, we were just out fishing last night over here in Central York County! (I love it when you can fish with no gloves  ;D )  You think me and all my buds were over at the Rotary lobbying for this thing not to happen??? Come on now...    And many of the guys I know around here were planning trips up that way, some even to East Grand from all the way down here.  Real fisherman will always find a way to fish...  it is what it is.  I'd hoped to fish the derby as well, but it wasnt meant to be this year I guess.

I'm sure many of the Southern Maine establishments lost money this year because Sunday was called off at the Sebago derby too, but you know what, it's money they never would have even possibly seen year after year without the efforts of Derbyguy and the whole Rotary staff.  Lighten up, go catch the state record somewhere, and then you'll be up for more money/prizes than any derby around here would have paid you...

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #123 on: Mar 03, 2010, 06:23 AM »
Well bummer fer sure
I truly believe that if the Sebago Derby was handled in a different way (made it statewide) this would not have happened the press was all over the people and wardens who fell through the ice (a day before the derby). To say that there is less than 2' of ice throughout the state and it is unsafe. I would dare say that there was less than 2'  of ice everywhere on Sebago I was at the station which was in my opion the most soilid ice out there and we were not even close to 2'..but they still fished it. Why... the $$$ I know some will say this is a donation to a good cause and yes it is but we all know on any given day on Sebago you could land a big ole toad and win the boat I think thats a major draw for this Tournament. We all here on IS knew the conditions of the ice and made every effort to keep all safe and out of harms way and I think it worked. The Sebago Derby is here to stay maybe the organizers should just focus on that derby and not the Statewide I am sure another entity would be happy to take over the reigns and run it.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #124 on: Mar 03, 2010, 06:33 AM »
We'll never know nor should we maybe but I wonder if some of the sponsors got cold feet about all the "bad ice" press. 

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #125 on: Mar 03, 2010, 06:49 AM »
well there went my chances to participate  and the best excuse to get out of the house   did I plan on winning the big one no  just the ability to participate   lots of ice up here  and was looking to fishing on 2ft of ice and a bright sunny day in 35 degree temps   Oh Ill still go but I guess my choices are better for salmon or trout vs lakers or attempting muskies  Granted the derby headquarters is in southern Maine so all the voices are down there  Must be a skiddish lawyer driving decisions    but anyway  again  another opportunity for northern Maine or southern Canada decided by southern Maine or rather northern mass. :(     I still will be supporting the tourney though because of the causes

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:13 AM »
Fishing with Devon and Glenn on a nice body of water...you won already.

Steve, we drive 3 hours to fish and never leave the County. 8)
   true but im just tired of us getting shafted because some idiots fell threw sebago just because of greed and stupidity. the rest of us shouldnt have to pay for someone elses bad judgement! my boy was really looking forward to competing. it would have been his 1st. time in a derby. yes we will still have a good time as will most of the true icefishermen, its just real dissappointing.

Offline BoneHead

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:18 AM »
hahahahahahahahahahaha lololololololololololo lolol

listen to that whining, break out the cheese.  :roflmao:  just more examples of how derbies bring out the BEST in people.
Now its turned into a North vs. South thing, whats next...............I'll stay tuned..............its just too funny.
Never argue with an idiot, he will just bring you down to his level and beat you with experience!

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #128 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:28 AM »
An absolute kick in the balls the way I see it. Wonder how this will hurt the derby in future? Especially those folks up north. :-\ :-\  Gonna go kill a pile of pike anyway!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I think you will see this hurt them in the future as well as all the local merchants and sponsors will feel the pain as well in a BIG way.
Feeding birds, one pike at a time...

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:29 AM »
Sorry to say, "dangerous ice conditions" is a lame excuse, because theres still plenty of safe ice in this state!

I would of been more likely to believe them , if they would of cancelled due to "dangerous road conditions"
with all the frost heaves and potholes ;D .....more likely to get hurt or killed by these then falling through the ice. :-\  

QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
« Reply #130 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:36 AM »
I think you will see this hurt them in the future as well as all the local merchants and sponsors will feel the pain as well.

I've never done the state wide derby and I feel bad for both sides here. I'm actually starting to think all derbies are a waste of time. The only reason I've ever fish one is for the cause. Mostly for chairty and to meet new fisherman. Oh well, off to find SAFE ICE!  ::)

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
« Reply #131 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:39 AM »
I've never done the state wide derby and I feel bad for both sides here. I'm actually starting to think all derbies are a waste of time. The only reason I've ever fish one is for the cause. Mostly for chairty and to meet new fisherman. Oh well, off to find SAFE ICE!  ::)
Just think of al the work the derby officials don't have to do this weekend. They are all happy with this decision.

Jim, where we fishing this weekend?

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #132 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:40 AM »
I think it is ridiculous that you can still buy tickets for a cancelled derby just to be entered in for all the raffle prizes.  When the derby was called off, ticket sales should have stopped and everyone that was registered at that point should have been in for the prizes.

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #133 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:40 AM »
I AGREE BUT just bought my ticket 949 ;)2 :woot: :thumbsup: :whistle:

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:42 AM »
I think it is ridiculous that you can still buy tickets for a cancelled derby just to be entered in for all the raffle prizes.  When the derby was called off, ticket sales should have stopped and everyone that was registered at that point should have been in for the prizes.

Maybe they should advertise it as a raffle not a derby

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #135 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:44 AM »
Just think of al the work the derby officials don't have to do this weekend. They are all happy with this decision.

Jim, where we fishing this weekend?

I don't know. My son re-broke his collarbone last night in the western maine hockey finals and I have to get him back to the orthopedic today. I will be in touch. Lets hope no surgery needed so I can get one more weekend on the hardwater.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #136 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:45 AM »
I have no opinion on if they should have canceled or not but all you guys carping odds of winning the truck improved 10 fold.

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #137 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:48 AM »

Totally Agree!
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #138 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:50 AM »
Actually the odds probably decreased 10 fold because more people who wouldn't even fish will now buy tickets because of all the raffle prizes.

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #139 on: Mar 03, 2010, 07:55 AM »
Gee how many people went through the ice just a weekend or two ago ??? Now someone makes a call to close the Derby and you all cry ??? Makes one wonder !!! If you have plans to go fishing up North GO! If money is driving your fishing Iver got news for all of you....you will never get rich ! ENJOY FISHING for what it is FUN !!! Now go catch some fish when its SAFE !!!!

Makes you wonder what? The thing is you are comparing apples and oranges when you compare the Sebago Derby and the Statewide Derby. I mean honestly Sebago only froze what 2 weeks before the derby? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the ice is probably iffy. I've never even fished Sebago, but I've heard enough to know that Sebago always freezes late and that this year was even worse. I am sympathetic to the people who fell through and those who loss a life, but it still comes down to making a bad decision and not doing everything in your power to stay safe. Every time you go on the ice, you are taking a calculated risk, and if you don't get the math right, that isn't my fault. I feel that I am the most sympathetic of anyone for these situations because I lost my grandfather 8 years ago when he fell through Long Lake (St. Agatha) in his truck. Even in his case, it comes down to a bad decision. He took a risk and lost his life for it. The last thing I ever thought was that anyone should be penalized for his mistake.

Again the difference is that the state wide isn't limited to one lake where you were lucky to see 12" of ice. In my opinion the way these derby's were handled was completely opposite of how they should have been. Sebago should have been cancelled in the first place or at least put signs at access points or even say you will be disqualified for driving/parking on the ice. The statewide should still be on.

As for the logic of it isn't fair for York County, that is bogus. I mean no one seems to think that it isn't fair for anyone north of Bangor to not have a doe permit do they? Maybe next season, instead of just penalizing them we should do way with doe permits all together in this state so that they don't miss out. Please don't get into a lecture about how doe permits are populations based...blah blah blah... The principle is the same, the south has deer and the north doesn't while the north has ice and the south doesn't.

I'm sorry, I just had to vent some more because after sleeping on it for the night, it irritated me even more so. My suggestion is that next year we don't call it a Statewide Tourny, because that apparently isn't representative of what it truly is or who's interest it is in.

I apologize in advance if I offended anyone with this post it's just really eating at me.

Offline bowhuntME

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #140 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:11 AM »
Just say that you live in the north.... and don't read the Portland Press Herald and you aren't a member on this site. How would you know that the Derby has been cancelled?  I havent' seen it anywhere on the news just in the Herald.  Wouldn't you think the derby commitee would publish it somewhere or even update their website?  Talk about not fair.....

Offline teampar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #141 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:20 AM »

I don't know. My son re-broke his collarbone last night in the western maine hockey finals and I have to get him back to the orthopedic today. I will be in touch. Lets hope no surgery needed so I can get one more weekend on the hardwater.

Hope your son is ok. Was it the class B finals? Just wondering, because I was down in Orono last night to watch the PI vs. Brewer Eastern Finals. And I want to tell you those kids from Brewer CAN skate, very impressive team. They will be tough to beat in the State game.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #142 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:21 AM »
Makes you wonder what? The thing is you are comparing apples and oranges when you compare the Sebago Derby and the Statewide Derby. I mean honestly Sebago only froze what 2 weeks before the derby? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the ice is probably iffy. I've never even fished Sebago, but I've heard enough to know that Sebago always freezes late and that this year was even worse. I am sympathetic to the people who fell through and those who loss a life, but it still comes down to making a bad decision and not doing everything in your power to stay safe. Every time you go on the ice, you are taking a calculated risk, and if you don't get the math right, that isn't my fault. I feel that I am the most sympathetic of anyone for these situations because I lost my grandfather 8 years ago when he fell through Long Lake (St. Agatha) in his truck. Even in his case, it comes down to a bad decision. He took a risk and lost his life for it. The last thing I ever thought was that anyone should be penalized for his mistake.

Again the difference is that the state wide isn't limited to one lake where you were lucky to see 12" of ice. In my opinion the way these derby's were handled was completely opposite of how they should have been. Sebago should have been cancelled in the first place or at least put signs at access points or even say you will be disqualified for driving/parking on the ice. The statewide should still be on.

As for the logic of it isn't fair for York County, that is bogus. I mean no one seems to think that it isn't fair for anyone north of Bangor to not have a doe permit do they? Maybe next season, instead of just penalizing them we should do way with doe permits all together in this state so that they don't miss out. Please don't get into a lecture about how doe permits are populations based...blah blah blah... The principle is the same, the south has deer and the north doesn't while the north has ice and the south doesn't.

I'm sorry, I just had to vent some more because after sleeping on it for the night, it irritated me even more so. My suggestion is that next year we don't call it a Statewide Tourny, because that apparently isn't representative of what it truly is or who's interest it is in.

I apologize in advance if I offended anyone with this post it's just really eating at me.

well said! by the way i knew your grandfather. he used to work at loring w/ my father. he fished w/ us a few times on eagle. and yes bonehead its always been a north / south thing and us in the north have a right to be **censored**ed because its always become a matter of who has the population that makes the decision for ALL of maine w/ no consideration for the people up here. at least i still have a solid month of good ice to fish on and still have the oppurtunity to get a good muskie. im not even close to hanging her up yet. still have 2 hardsides out on the lakes.

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #143 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:21 AM »
2 Wrong decisions do not equal a right decision DerbyGuy :nono: :nono: :nono:

The two derbies could not have been handled worse.  

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
« Reply #144 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:23 AM »

I guess I completely disagree with you folks on this one.  We shouldn't let our greed block our views of the greater good here.   The money from ticket sales goes to really good charities.  Do you really want to be the one to tell those charities, "sorry, we aren't accepting anymore money for you."?

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #145 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:28 AM »
Maybe I would agree with you except for the fact that all the prizes were donated by sponsors for a fishing derby not a raffle.

Offline Snowfun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag!!!
Re: Statewide is on ! UPDATED !!!!
« Reply #146 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:30 AM »
    Yes the Statewide is cancelled. Anyone who bought a ticket to the Statewide only can be refunded if the request is made before the drawings on Tuesday. All prizes ($40,000+) will be given to derby entrants through drawings. If you withdraw, you will not be eligible for the prizes.
      This was a difficult decision to make. We had 19 of 25 weigh stations reporting that they had dangerous ice conditions in their area. The weather forecasts also were not that promising. I can tell you that all of your posts to this thread were mentioned at the meeting.
       Those of us who have put several hundreds of hours into this had to make a tough decision. You can now decide whether you fish or not, where you will go or not, whether you stay in or not.
       Those that enter still have a $20 shot at a truck, ATV and other prizes. Plus you will have the knowledge that every cent you spent will go to the hungry in Maine and other local charities.
So what are you doing with the $7000 in cash prizes, 4@$1000, 4@500 and 4@250? I understand you are drawing for the truck and the fish pool prizes from all the entry tickets for both Sebago and statewide. Are the 12 cash prizes being awarded also??

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
« Reply #147 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:31 AM »
The prizes were donated to help charity, the fishing derby is the means to raise the money.

Offline Sawyerjosh

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #148 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:40 AM »
They are drawing for the cash prizes as well.  Actually, your odds on the truck are about the same, the odds on the rest of the prizes are higher for many, lower for some depending on how many fish you would have entered.  If you entered 40 pike, you got your name in the hat 40 time, if you didn't catch anything, it was not in at all.  Now everyone is in once.

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #149 on: Mar 03, 2010, 08:44 AM »
Hope your son is ok. Was it the class B finals? Just wondering, because I was down in Orono last night to watch the PI vs. Brewer Eastern Finals. And I want to tell you those kids from Brewer CAN skate, very impressive team. They will be tough to beat in the State game.

No it was the Class A finals vs. Biddeford at the Collisee in Lewsiton. My son plays for Thornton Academy and they lost 3-0. He broke his collar bone the last game of regular season 2 weeks ago, got doctor's clearance to play with just about one arm, and made a galant effort but not to be.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.