The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Heading to West yellowstone MT. Any good holes?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Heading to West yellowstone MT. Any good holes?
« on: Feb 24, 2010, 03:40 PM »
I'm heading up to west yellowstone MT In march for snowmobile expo and hopefully some fishing anyone got any ideas or advice To catch a few?

Much Appreciated
  Kyle

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Heading to West yellowstone MT. Any good holes?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2010, 09:12 AM »
I guess there is the firehole  :P

Hebgen Reservoir is the closest water for ice fishing.

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:43 AM »
i normally fish canyon ferry (6 rods-big trout), but CF has not been that kind to me this season..hopefully it will pick up as the trout tend to bunch up at the upper end late season, sorry i can't recommend CF.. too slow... but i did hear a good report at hebgen near the dam.. last time i was there it was so slushy i couldn't see my feet.. spooky. but there are fish, though abit skinny comparid to CF..TG

Offline MatCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Depends how far you want to go.  Hyalite is good for little ones you can catch them all day.  Harrison has bigger fish but it's hit and miss you can sit out there all day and only catch 4-5.

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2010, 05:13 PM »
If you've got sleds then making the trip into cliff and wade lakes or on farther to elk lake would probibly be worth your time.

Offline wyo10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 04, 2010, 07:37 AM »
Appreciate the pointers guys. I dont know where to go just visiting my brother I got access to a sled just dont know the area very good. Just know the local bars and thats about it. ;D

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 04, 2010, 09:22 AM »
If you decide to go to hebgen fish down by the damn or in the narrows.  Anyone of the fly fishing shops in town can point you in the right direction. If you go into cliff lake fish in the channel between the main bodies of the lake.  If you go to wade...good luck (big fish but hard to catch).  Elk lakes seams like it doesn't matter.  Just fish about 16'-20' deep.  Good luck.  Let me know how it goes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.