The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Smelt's in Sebago  (Read 1014 times)

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
Smelt's in Sebago
« on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:13 AM »
Did anyone else see the guy walking around at weigh in with the 11" Jack Smelt he caught during the derby??
He was all proud of it until I told him he wasn't allowed to have kept it...... :o

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Smelt's in Sebago
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:36 AM »
No I did not but if I did I would have told him that it looked like a new state record and he should have it weighed and measured ;D

Offline Loves To Fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2010, 04:10 PM »
Did anyone else see the guy walking around at weigh in with the 11" Jack Smelt he caught during the derby??
He was all proud of it until I told him he wasn't allowed to have kept it...... :o

No, I didn't see the guy, but I bet his face dropped when you told him it was illegal to fish for or catch smelts from Sebago.
BTW, 11 inch jack is a pretty good size smelt. It's funny, the last 2 seasons we have watched the smelts run up the Songo and never saw any "jacks", just the small ones. I wonder if the big ones run up the Songo earlier than the smaller ones.

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2010, 04:35 PM »
That smelt is most likely one that the Sebago Anglers stocked in there that came from the coast. :)

I fished the lake for many years when it was legal to jig smelts and never saw a smelt that would be considered a "jack". :)
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2010, 04:46 PM »
I saw one during the very first derby about the same size as the one I saw saturday...... How many years ago was that? A togue puked it up when he hit the ice

Offline MG39

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • No Matter Where You Go, There You Are!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:50 PM »
I saw one during the very first derby about the same size as the one I saw saturday...... How many years ago was that? A togue puked it up when he hit the ice

I don't know how many years back, or how many times they have tried to get a smelt population in there, with the salt water ones?  They took the smelts down to USM and then hung the burlap with spawn in the lake. I saw some of the pictures of the little dots of eyes in the spawn before they hatched. I'm sure the togue were lined up eating them when the swam off. :)

According to the reports I've seen, they claim the salt water smelts won't spawn in there? I guess they just live out their life span. I got reports this year of guys seeing a lot of nice sized smelts swimming along the shore in 10-12' of water.
Can't say that I was very impressed with what salmon I seen caught this year, after all the time I spent on the water.
Togue... that's a different story.
You can imagine what it will be like this year. All the areas you fish down there, never saw ice.  You'll have some happy sports this year again.;D
Man To Man Is So Unjust,
No Man Knows, Which Man To Trust,
I Have Trusted Many, To My Sorrow,
Pay Cash Today & I Will Trust Tomorrow,
Maybe......

Semper-Fi

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I don't know how many years back, or how many times they have tried to get a smelt population in there, with the salt water ones?  They took the smelts down to USM and then hung the burlap with spawn in the lake. I saw some of the pictures of the little dots of eyes in the spawn before they hatched. I'm sure the togue were lined up eating them when the swam off. :)

According to the reports I've seen, they claim the salt water smelts won't spawn in there? I guess they just live out their life span. I got reports this year of guys seeing a lot of nice sized smelts swimming along the shore in 10-12' of water.
Can't say that I was very impressed with what salmon I seen caught this year, after all the time I spent on the water.
Togue... that's a different story.
You can imagine what it will be like this year. All the areas you fish down there, never saw ice.  You'll have some happy sports this year again.;D
+
With all this talk of open water I just might call and make an appointment to get my boat ready!!
Bring it on!!!
Can't wait to hook up with you this spring ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.