The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: weed wacker powered ice auger  (Read 9892 times)

Offline whtmtniceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mora... Hold her tight and DRILL HARD!
weed wacker powered ice auger
« on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:23 PM »
has anyone attempted to modify a weed wacker into an ice auger? If so i could use some tips because im probably going to try it this week.

Offline svonasek

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: weed wacker powered ice auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2010, 11:05 PM »
You'd have to come up with a gear box to bring the rpm down.

Offline ***WaterWolf***

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2010, 02:52 PM »
Thinking about putting a chainsaw engine on one, just got to get the gearbox figured out everthing else is easy.

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2010, 03:46 PM »
me and my dad tried it, we put a mora auger on it , spent a whole day messing around with it, it took 2 people and 10 minutes to start it up, and when we went to drill a hole, we got about an inch down and it froze right up and stalled out, I would try a chain saw motor before a weed wacker motor.
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2010, 04:31 PM »
I'm in the planning stages of building a weedwhacker powerhead from scratch. Going to take me a while to plan and machine all the parts. Don't know which engine I will use yet, have a couple laying around. You will need a gearbox and plan the reduction out to work with the max loaded rpm of the motor your using. I'm figuring about a 250rpm final rpm give or take at the output under load. Should be lighter than any other gas or electric auger out there.

Offline svonasek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2010, 05:20 PM »
I'm in the planning stages of building a weedwhacker powerhead from scratch. Going to take me a while to plan and machine all the parts. Don't know which engine I will use yet, have a couple laying around. You will need a gearbox and plan the reduction out to work with the max loaded rpm of the motor your using. I'm figuring about a 250rpm final rpm give or take at the output under load. Should be lighter than any other gas or electric auger out there.

Do you know the rpm of the motor?

Offline ***WaterWolf***

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2010, 02:08 PM »
Jiffy auger turns at 370 rpm's I think

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2010, 09:36 AM »
Do you know the rpm of the motor?

It depends what motor you are using. I have a tachometer for small engines that give an accurate rpm reading, so thats what I will go by.

icewagon

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2010, 07:39 PM »
Think I'd just cut grass with the whacker and cut wood with the chain saw and buy a good power auger to bore holes in the ice.

Offline svonasek

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:08 PM »
Think I'd just cut grass with the whacker and cut wood with the chain saw and buy a good power auger to bore holes in the ice.

I agree with you.  The typical person would do exactly what you said.  The only difference is that someone in this topic thinks they can build something either better or cheaper then what is a available.

I'm giving my full support that wants to do something on their own instead of buying something!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 25, 2010, 10:25 PM »
That's what my buddy referred to my Tanaka the other day as the "week wacker" motor.
I guess because he is used to the distinctive sound of a Jiffy, and the higher pitched, smaller
motor of the Tanaka reminded him of a weed whacker.  Funny thing is though, a couple days
later when he couldn't get his Jiffy started he did accept my offer to drill some holes for him
with my "weed wacker" auger.  Started and got his holes drilled in less time than it took for
him to give up on his auger....

Please post pictures of your creation!

MD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.