Author Topic: Beach pond walleye stocking.  (Read 5752 times)

Offline woodstock60

• Team IceShanty Regular
Beach pond walleye stocking.
« on: Feb 20, 2010, 03:04 PM »
I heard a rumour that Ct. Dep will no longer stock walleye into Beach pond. Very upsetting!! Can anyone confirm or deny this.    Thanks   Quag

Offline bumbala357

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Beach pond walleye stocking.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20, 2010, 03:17 PM »
I heard a rumour that Ct. Dep will no longer stock walleye into Beach pond. Very upsetting!! Can anyone confirm or deny this.    Thanks   Quag
What else is new....They want us to pay more for our licenses to get less!!!

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2010, 05:55 AM »
No offense Quag, but the word is out that RI fishermen fish it hard for wallys, and it is not a top CT wally angler destination, so CT will spend the money somewhere else. Or, perhaps nowhere else.

Offline woodstock60

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:48 AM »
So be it, but the fact that RI fisherman fish their (because we share the pond) should have nothing to do with it. If that were the way reasonable folks thought then RI wouldn't stock trout in it and they stock it heavily. And I have to say as a night time fisherman I have only met ct. guys at the ramp when I go in, I have never talked to a serious RI walleye angler their. All that aside its just a damn shame, everyone loses.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2010, 08:56 AM »
Yup, it's a shame. I hope CT continues stocking there, but they are looking for excuses to cut expenses.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2010, 11:50 AM »
Cant confirm beach or find the article that I read it in, but the state is discontinuing the stocking program at Coventry lake, and I think the second was Beach.  Fish arn't growing as quickly as expected, and the "extras" from both bodies of water will be stocked elsewhere.  Dep had a statement a while ago, but I can't find it on their site.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2010, 12:32 PM »
First I have heard of Beach being cut... The state put 3700 walleye fingerlings in there in '09. I wouldn't sweat it. For those of you concerned about out of state pressure, those anglers buy a license just like the rest of us. At $80 this year, the number of out of state anglers will surely be less.
I have heard that CT is considering the future of Coventry but as far as I know, a decision hasn't been made yet.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:00 PM »
I guess I should clarify my earlier statement about CT's possible reticence toward stocking Beach with walleye-DEP is cutting expenses just like every other department in this pinko state, except for, of course, entitlements. I have no beef with the cross border arrangements with RI, MA or NY, but since CT doesn't get license money from the fishermen on those ponds and they are less heavily utilized by CT residents than the interior lakes, they are logical targets if cutbacks are made. I hadn't heard that they were considering cutbacks at Coventry but was told by both GW's and survey guys that the fish there were typically smaller than DEP expected. I sure hope neither Beach nor Coventry is cut because it's great to have multiple options and the ice at other wally lakes is already sinking under the weight of all the fishermen. On the subject of $80 licences the GW told us last Saturday that with the $ increase, the "no licence" pinch is popular this season, he had scored a guy just minutes before talking with us.

Offline CWD

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2010, 05:11 PM »
Have to say Coventry has produced better than average 'eyes this winter ;) It would be a real shame for the state to stop the program there.

Offline Penn920

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:13 AM »
The DEP should stop stocking walleyes into Batterson Pond in New Britian. No one respects that pond, and the people who live there (the cans) throw all kinds of garbage into the water. The pond becomes weed choked in the summer, and murky. I fish there alot and pulled out 7 walleyes but nothing bigger than 15 inches. What the state should do is put northern pike in there and move the walleyes to Beach or Coventry. The pike would do a much better job at killing the abundent yellow and white perch that only reach about 6 inches.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.