Author Topic: Lowrance vs. Humminbird  (Read 1678 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Lowrance vs. Humminbird
« on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:28 PM »
Just looking for some input from people who have used a Lowrance and/or Humminbird. Looking to buy my first fish flasher and I think my focus is between Lowrance and Humminbird. Have up to $500 to spend so both are within range. I was originally looking at getting the Bird Ice 45 or 55. Not seeing a big difference between them except the 55 comes with a case, 6 colors instead of 3, higher power output, and a different battery. I don't fish very deep often, usually 15-30 fow, so I don't know that I need the extra power. Any thoughts would be awesome. Thanks.

Offline muskydg

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lowrance vs. Humminbird
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Just looking for some input from people who have used a Lowrance and/or Humminbird. Looking to buy my first fish flasher and I think my focus is between Lowrance and Humminbird. Have up to $500 to spend so both are within range. I was originally looking at getting the Bird Ice 45 or 55. Not seeing a big difference between them except the 55 comes with a case, 6 colors instead of 3, higher power output, and a different battery. I don't fish very deep ofter, usually 15-30 fow, so I don't know that I need the extra power. Any thoughts would be awesome. Thanks.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Have never used a lowrance so I can't help you there,but I have the Bird 55 and love it.You could probably get by just fine with the 45 but I highly recommend the case to protect your investment. I goggled  the price of the 55 a couple days ago...$415 shipped not too shabby.A lot of guys seem to like the Lowrance also ,so educate yourself and enjoy which ever one you choose.

Offline Bigred1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:40 PM »
I have owned a Lowrance ice machine. It is a good one, but not near as good as the bird 55.  I sold a vex 8 and the ice machine and bought the 55.  Am still on a learning curve, but really like my bird.

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2010, 06:46 AM »
I have an ice 55 that I bought last year. It works great and holds a charge for at least three trips. It does everything that it is supposed to do. My big problem with it, is that I wanted to use it on my little 14' boat. Guess what, they do not make a boat transducer for it. Vexilar makes a boat transducer. I guess Hummingbird wants to sell you seperate machines. This is a big isue for me and I probably will sell it.

Offline iceman4667

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:06 AM »
Cant tell ya anything about the bird but i do have the lowrance x67c and i love it , a little hard to use at first but gets easier the more you use it . Had it for 3 years with no problems , use it in the boat and on the ice

Offline Scott Steil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:14 AM »
If you have that kind of money to spend then the answer is easy, get the Humminbird ICE 55.  Right now you can find discounted units if you call around...it is that time of the ice season.  You will be VERY glad you went with the Humminbird unit.

Offline QDAWG44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:26 PM »
I love my x67c.  It seems I take it more often than my lx-5.  Its great for multiple lines in the water.  I am usually fishin with someone else and it shows 4 lines pretty well.  I love it!!!!!

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2010, 12:33 PM »
I have an ice 55 that I bought last year. It works great and holds a charge for at least three trips. It does everything that it is supposed to do. My big problem with it, is that I wanted to use it on my little 14' boat. Guess what, they do not make a boat transducer for it. Vexilar makes a boat transducer. I guess Hummingbird wants to sell you seperate machines. This is a big isue for me and I probably will sell it.
  Does the 55 have a graph mode for summer? NO..  I've owned 2 lowrances for last 6-7 years and my buddy bought the hummingbird. Was really interested in fishing it to see the difference, but the knob broke off on the ride out, so didn't get to fish with it.. Looked better than my old vex on the kitchen table... Maybe next time,, if it don't break apart again...
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline reddot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2010, 02:39 PM »
Lowrance x67c!!  Works awesome.  Two types of uses, flasher or graph na winter or summer.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:57 PM »
Don't have a boat, so the conversion with a new transducer doesn't appeal much to me. I ended up deciding to get the Ice 55. Found it online for $400. Can't wait to use it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.