Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Info on Icegator or electric augers  (Read 1140 times)

Offline wirehair hunter

• IceShanty Rookie
Info on Icegator or electric augers
« on: Feb 16, 2010, 10:30 PM »
I was looking to buy a strikemaster electric auger but was told the icegator was way better because it is 24 volt and is more powerful and the charge lasts longer. What does everyone else think and does anyone have a used one they want to sell, or where do I buy a new one. I live in south east Iowa.  Thanks for any information. 

Offline Ret58 1

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Info on Icegator or electric augers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2010, 01:28 AM »
Wirehair, I have a Strikemaster electra, the earlier model in that it doesn't have a battery mounted on it.  I use a lawn mower battery for the main power.  I drill a lot of holes and haven't run out yet with this set up.  The electric is slower than a gas unit, but gets the job done without the gas mess.  The other type you mentioned, I have only seen video of, but it is faster than the Electra.  I like my set up anyway.  Good luck :)

Offline flyfishr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Revenuers don't stand a chance
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2010, 01:42 AM »
http://www.icegator.com/

I bought mine direct from the company and have had it just short of a month.   If you go to their website there is a phone # or you can send them a message.   It took about a month to get mine after I ordered onlline.   

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:27 PM »
I believe icegators are sold out.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline flyfishr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Revenuers don't stand a chance
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2010, 05:49 PM »
I believe icegators are sold out.

As of Feb 9th according to one of our members here as he reported in the Icegator review thread under the Iceshanty sponsor's forum Icegator they had 5 left when he called and he took one so that leaves 4 left and he got his on the 12th of Feb.  If they have kept building they may have more than that or as BBK has mentioned they may be out again.

Offline jkwildhunting

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2010, 08:57 PM »
I got the 8" Strikemaster Electra this year. I wish i could use a nice gas auger but for medical reason the electric was the way to go.

I have had no problems of my battery in the electra dieing. I used it last week fished 3 days last week lake i fish here has 14-15" ice (due to spring) and drilled prolla 8-10 holes each trip and all i did was bring the auger n the house and never charged it and it ran perfectly fine.

Like you said it is slower but also it beats the heck out of hand drillin thru the ice! I figured if i fish tournaments were poppin holes quickly is a key i have enough buddies i could team up with that have gas augers.

One thing i do like about electric is when it was cold earlier this winter like -10 out. Watching some of those guys with gas augers not saying all of them but there were usually a few i seen on the lake that there gas augers would not start in the cold.
Flip the switch push the button and your drillin ice if its 35 out or -35 out that is one big plus IMO.

Good luck
I fish everyday that ends in a \\\"Y\\\"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.