Author Topic: crayfish as bait  (Read 4307 times)

Offline samson

• IceShanty Rookie
crayfish as bait
« on: Nov 11, 2004, 07:30 PM »
anyone use preserved crayfish on the ice?  just bought three bottles of them today.

Offline mod_auger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: crayfish as bait
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2004, 08:15 PM »
I heard from In-fisherman to take the meat from the tails of crayfish and cut the meat up into small pieces and tip them on jigs. I'm going to give it a try this winter. I harvested 20 crayfish and still don't have much meat. If it works well, I'm sure that I'll be looking for more crayfish next summer.
Play 'em if you wanna fillet 'em!

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2004, 09:01 PM »
My friend tried baiting some crayfish in one of the rivers with several fish traps containg red salmon meat. He abandoned the project however when he came within 10 feet of a bear wrecking the traps that continued to follow him for about 30 yards. I guess having less bait is better than being mauled even if your only 2 miles from town!

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2004, 09:57 PM »
I have toyed with the notion of using live crayfish on tip ups for pike. However I think that since crayfish basically hibernate during the winter that they would die quickly in the cold water and lose their attracting and triggering power. I don't think dead ones work that well probably. Then again, dead minnows sometimes outproduce live ones.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline samson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2004, 03:19 PM »
read a post here a while back where a guy mentioned that he found crayfish in the stomach of some fish he caught, didn't mentions which ones though.  i also remember reading somewhere that crayfish are still active during the winter, worth a try. 

anyone know how to preserve crayfish?  caught a bucket full in a creek few summers ago, gonna try and get some more.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2004, 09:05 PM »
Use 1 1/2" plastic ones on a small lead head for shellcrackers on one of the lakes that they were stocked in. Cover them in a crawfish scent and thump them up and down on the bottom. When they turn on they smash 'em, when finicky I think they just pull them slowly around since they come up without any claws.

Offline FishHawk01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:06 PM »
i use crayfish when I come across them,  at the lake where i primarily ice fish its not uncommon if you have your hook on the bottom to have a strike and when you pull it up have a crayfish hanging on tight!  I usually just pinch the tail off and and use it, that seems to work best.  I caught a 10 inch small mouth last summer,  when I took the hook out I could see 2 pinchers sticking out of the throat and into the mouth.  It was about as full as fish could be but still chowing down!
A fisherman who marries a woman who hates fishing is a fool!

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 25, 2004, 10:23 AM »
only time i used a crayfish and caught a nice perch and some decent bass that was in thre summer though never tired in the winter will have to give it a shot

Offline scchase

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2005, 12:02 PM »
I caught a crayfish through the ice once so I know that they are still active. It just hooked its claws on my bait and hung on for the ride.
Scott

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2005, 10:18 PM »
cray fish are still active in weeds mostly in the winter I believe. I can't remember where I read this, but I heard that some people use a genz bug to imitate the crayfish for icefishing. Supposedly works well for perch!
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2005, 01:50 PM »
Samson -
I have nerver tried to preserve crayfish but I would think it may be similar to doing fish eggs. Try a solution with borax. At the very least I would think freezing them would work, but if you do that you would have to use all that you thaw out at once (I'd do small quantities). If either one works, let us know!

:tipup:

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2005, 02:33 PM »
I caught a bunch of perch in about 7 fow at winnie in the winter one time, and about half of them were stuffed w/ 2 inch crawfish.  Never tried any fake ones and never thought of preserving some, but I'm sure it would work.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2005, 09:14 PM »
I have never tried live or perserved crayfish but have found that the 5 or 6 inch rubber ones great for pike and burbot. I just jig them on the bottom so it looks like a crayfish digging around in the mud. I have heard that if you take the meat off a crayfish's tale it makes a good tid bit for perch. I don't see why perserved cray fish should not work, just take some fluorocarbon line, attach it to a treble hook, thread the line onto a needle and stick the needle through the crayfish so the hook is in the center of it, and jig with it.
My friend has caught a few crayfish while icefishing. He  lets the minnow or smelt rest on the botton until he feels a tiny tap and then slow reels the crayfish up. If you have an underwater camera you can see when they grab hold.:)

WW

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2005, 09:12 AM »
Like a lot of you, I have caught perch thru the ice that
had crabs in them. If they were availible in the winter,
I'm sure they would work great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com