Author Topic: Kill or release?  (Read 7084 times)

Offline Frabill 44

• IceShanty Rookie
  • St.Croix alls i need!! Chicago Fire Department
Re: Kill or release?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:46 PM »
why would you kill em?? there good fish and put up a fight

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:55 PM »
throw em back the only fish i know that your sopose to kill is snake heads dont even throw them on the ice or shore cuz they will crawl back in :S so ive heard
LIFE STARTS WHEN FISHING SEASON STARTS
use camo to sneak up on the fish :D

lael19533

« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:38 PM »
Only keep what you are going to eat.Release the rest.Same with hunting.

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:40 PM »
snake heads kill and eat everything in the lake and then then cross over [then can crawl on land] to the next lake

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:40 PM »
state laws say to kill it right away not to toss on ice or land

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #35 on: Feb 17, 2010, 03:08 AM »
snakeheads are an invasive species.

IF I remember correctly, the DNR wants them killed.  They also want you to report the lake that you caught it on so they can keep track of "infected" lakes.

Same with Gobies, and fish that have VHS.

Wiener

Offline Airs24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:20 AM »
I think that Rock Bass are great fish for the kids to catch!  Now if they only grew bigger because these guys put up a bigger fight then a Small Mouth!!!  Doesn't matter what I catch, I release almost everything unless it's hooked in such a way that the fish wont make it.   I have never caught a Goby but that is one species that I wouldn't put back or release, I would just leave them for the coons!

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:31 AM »
I think that Rock Bass are great fish for the kids to catch!  Now if they only grew bigger because these guys put up a bigger fight then a Small Mouth!!!  Doesn't matter what I catch, I release almost everything unless it's hooked in such a way that the fish wont make it.   I have never caught a Goby but that is one species that I wouldn't put back or release, I would just leave them for the coons!
make sure the fish cant get back into the water if you do just end its pain but bullet in its head
or just stab it a couple times take your anger out on it then the coons gte free dinner anyway

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #38 on: Feb 17, 2010, 01:35 PM »
It's been a long time since I ate a Rock Bass but as I remember they didn't taste much different than a Blue Gill. I thought they were good eating, and easy to catch, the fight isn't the greatest, they fight hard for about 10 seconds then come in like a weed on your hook.

Offline gunrunner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:48 PM »
snakeheads are an invasive species.

IF I remember correctly, the DNR wants them killed.  They also want you to report the lake that you caught it on so they can keep track of "infected" lakes.

Same with Gobies, and fish that have VHS.

Wiener
Every non-native fish and plant for that matter is an invasive species.......

Trooper Bri

« Reply #40 on: Feb 17, 2010, 05:16 PM »
If you catch a rockbass do you toss it on the ice or let it go? are they a junk fish that can damage a pond or lake? when i fish in Canada they tell me to kill everyone i catch.

Don't listen to people, they're idiots. ;)

I'd never intentionally kill or keep anything I wasn't going to personally consume (which is rare). I don't even keep fish for other people anymore.

Offline r2rose

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice woman
« Reply #41 on: Feb 18, 2010, 03:10 PM »
eat them or throw them back they good fishing for the kids so lets heat up some oil and get to frying

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #42 on: Feb 18, 2010, 04:14 PM »
adkroy would have ur b@llz if you kill any of his buddy rockbass....lol
i caught a nice one a few years ago filleted it up with my mess of perch me and my family sat down and ate the fish nobody spit it out meaning there wasnt much of a difference after batterd and fried...put them back ...darn trout lovers

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:49 PM »
If you catch a rockbass do you toss it on the ice or let it go? are they a junk fish that can damage a pond or lake? when i fish in Canada they tell me to kill everyone i catch.

Sounds like you may be getting advice from ignorant people.  I say ignorant as a fact and not a derogatory term.  If the RockBass is Native to the body of water then it has more right to be there than you.  They have a specific role in the ecosystem of that lake/pond.  Just because they may not be the best tasting or sporting fish in the water, in no way makes any species of Native Fish a junk species.  Even the Precambrian dog fish has it's place in the Lakes.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Feb 18, 2010, 08:45 PM »
It's been a long time since I ate a Rock Bass but as I remember they didn't taste much different than a Blue Gill. I thought they were good eating, and easy to catch, the fight isn't the greatest, they fight hard for about 10 seconds then come in like a weed on your hook.

I agree...Northern MI lakes are full of them and they all they do is trash your plastics, fight long enough for you to think you have a nice fish, then play dead.  I hate 'em, but don't kill 'em.

Offline bearbgone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Feb 18, 2010, 10:59 PM »
I hope it's OK to kill Asian Carp, because if I ever run across one that is what I plan on doing!

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:45 AM »
they are called panfish for a reason...rockys will always have a special place in my heart...i mean tummy ;)

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #47 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:47 AM »
Musky, northern, and walleye dont like to eat bluegll, crappie, and rockbass. They prefer bass, shad, shiners, minnows, ect. Fish with soft bodies and no spines.

If you have a l lake with bass northern and bluegill, the northern are going to take a bass over a bluegill every time.

That couldn't be further from the truth, with muskies atleast. Crappies are a preferred food for them as are suckers, trout, shiners, ect (We regularly use small crappies for bait and do quite well  ;)). While I'm sure they do make a meal out of the occasional bass they are defiantly not a preferred food source due to wider bodies and sharp spines where the crappies are more streamlined.
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #48 on: Feb 19, 2010, 09:57 AM »

Muskies will never eat crappies...I read it on the internet by an expert :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Feb 19, 2010, 04:30 PM »
snake heads kill and eat everything in the lake and then then cross over [then can crawl on land] to the next lake
i think i just saw one run by the window :o

Offline kamilinthere

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 19, 2010, 04:34 PM »
i think i just saw one run by the window :o
didnt you see the movie about them i know it was realistic fiction but what if somone did dump hormones into the lake

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 19, 2010, 04:36 PM »
spines dont matter to most large preditors that is why they swallow head first it lays the spines down i'v cawt walleye with bullhead in ther guts up to 8" long with the spines still standing up i dont know how they could swallow them without tearing their innards apart but they were perfectly fine.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #52 on: Feb 19, 2010, 04:57 PM »
didnt you see the movie about them i know it was realistic fiction but what if somone did dump hormones into the lake
they might grow a beard or god forbid some breasts. ;D . all kidding aside they do the same function as a bowfin who can also live a long time out of water, is aggresive, eats anything it can swallow its just a fish . look at what brown trout have done to native brook trout and rainbows in some places look at what pike and bass and walleye are doing in introduced areas . thins will change but will balance out after a while probably not to our likeing but it's to lake for that now we just have to cope with the problem and avoid making the same mistakes in other waters. it's amazing how people will tolerate fish that "they " like but persicute one on their s@#t list .i'm in no way defending snakeheads i think they should be killed off but the paranoia that puts them at almost mythical status is a bit much.

pacific salmon   = introduced to the great lakes
brown trout      = introduced from europe
walleye            = introduced to the columbia river
the list goes on and on. the adirondack mountains have countless numbers of native trout ponds that dont have trout because people brought in bass, pike , perch , all native fish but NOT to these ponds which have caused the extinction of certan sub-speces native to only these waters. the state is trying to reclaim them and introduce certain strains of brook trout from this area but as long as people stock THEIR favorite fish in bodies of water that they dont live in it's no different than throwing a snakehead in the mix.

Offline bighof

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • have you seen me walk on water????
« Reply #53 on: Feb 20, 2010, 02:27 PM »
it is funny how people form these opinions... I have a buddy (walleye fisherman) that said in minnesota they would throw all the northerns on the ice cuz they are slimy trash fish.  I will happily eat the northers he catches these days.
l

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Feb 20, 2010, 06:52 PM »
i see burbot on the ice on chamlain
sunfish on several lakes
small perch also on several lakes ( bucket biologists trying to save the lake from overpopulation )
and to many different species to count in the summer thrown on the bank including bass,pike,and panfish
as i previously said some guys feel that THEIR favorite fish is the only one to save
saw a guy kill a northern on the salmon river in puaski he said " they kill they babby salmon when they leave the hatchery so he just saved hundreds of babby salmon "
so this is the mentality that is out there.

p.s. my responce to him was " the pike were here first the salmon arent native to this area if you want to be a biologist educate yourself before pushing your ignorance "

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Feb 20, 2010, 08:34 PM »

p.s. my responce to him was " the pike were here first the salmon arent native to this area if you want to be a biologist educate yourself before pushing your ignorance "

Great response...one that could be directed to many out there.  One thing that many over look is the fact that they have little knowledge in environmental science and the balance of an eco system.  There are non native species that are NOT invasive species.  I'll let those who disagree look up the definition of each term.  With that said, many areas that have had species that are NOT invasive, have over the years produced excellent fisheries for both the native species and those introduced.  The introduction of these species were done under study.  The major damage that occurs to ecosystems are from those of ignorance driven from economic gain.  The best example of that can be seen in the Great Lakes from the ocean freighters and the ballast discharge.  The introduction of Brown Trout from Europe, The hybrid Tiger Musky, and other productive/beneficial species will never have the same magnitude of those from ballast tanks.  BUT the government looks at the immediate monetary gain of current practices rather than the long term environmental impact.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 23, 2010, 09:12 PM »
When I was a kid I can remember everyone throwing small gills on the ice as population control so the lake wouldn't get stunted.  One day the game warden came out and gave a couple guys fines for having over their limit.  I don't see any one doing it any more except on some small farm ponds I fish.  The owner of those ponds makes us throw out the small gills and bass under ten inches to avoid his pond getting stunted.

I am a Biologist and Environmental Scientist and it is possible for a population growth to get stunted for any species if the population is to high for the available resources.  Most of this is controlled by the predator fish however.  The best thing any one can do is release the large predator species you catch, these guys are the 'police' of the lake. I know it's hard, but get a picture and make sure they swim off on their own power (after the lactic acid has been metabolized from the fight).

For the record, every state will have exotic nuisance species listed in the guide that should be killed when caught.  Check that out and abide by it, alot of research has gone into determining that.  And the non-native species that aren't exotic nuisance, are helping to keep the ecosystem balanced and should be considered for all intents and purposes as native, respect them...Alot of research has gone into determining that as well.

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:22 PM »
When I was a kid I can remember everyone throwing small gills on the ice as population control so the lake wouldn't get stunted.  One day the game warden came out and gave a couple guys fines for having over their limit.  I don't see any one doing it any more except on some small farm ponds I fish.  The owner of those ponds makes us throw out the small gills and bass under ten inches to avoid his pond getting stunted.

I am a Biologist and Environmental Scientist and it is possible for a population growth to get stunted for any species if the population is to high for the available resources.  Most of this is controlled by the predator fish however.  The best thing any one can do is release the large predator species you catch, these guys are the 'police' of the lake. I know it's hard, but get a picture and make sure they swim off on their own power (after the lactic acid has been metabolized from the fight).

For the record, every state will have exotic nuisance species listed in the guide that should be killed when caught.  Check that out and abide by it, alot of research has gone into determining that.  And the non-native species that aren't exotic nuisance, are helping to keep the ecosystem balanced and should be considered for all intents and purposes as native, respect them...Alot of research has gone into determining that as well.
Great points.  I agree....leave the biology to the biologists!  There are way too many guys out there that think that they know how to manage a fishery just because they like to fish as a passtime.  I have spent many a time listening to these bumpkins go back and forth about what they "know" is good for the lake and how this and that effect the population and that the fish and game departments are wrong.  But I just shake my head and laugh. 
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline skidplate

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:01 AM »
It is all pretty simple really... If you want to kill it...EAT IT!!!
I'm Gonna go to bed...I'm gonna change my pants and go to bed.

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 24, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Great points.  I agree....leave the biology to the biologists!  There are way too many guys out there that think that they know how to manage a fishery just because they like to fish as a passtime.  I have spent many a time listening to these bumpkins go back and forth about what they "know" is good for the lake and how this and that effect the population and that the fish and game departments are wrong.  But I just shake my head and laugh. 

LOL...becareful...not all of us bumkins are as ignint as you may think.  Some of us don't state that we have degrees in ENV Science, yet some do :)  You can pick us out from the big words we use like ecosystem.  When we are really feeling smart we will even throw in a few like ichthyologist ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.