Author Topic: 48 Hours, 2 Derbies!  (Read 2106 times)

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
48 Hours, 2 Derbies!
« on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:46 PM »
Spent this weekend fishing with my 5 year old son. We did 2 derbies, the Horsehoe Fish and Game derby on Greens Pond in Merrimack and the Brookline Lake Potanipo Derby.

Saturday:
I will say, if any Horsehoe guys are on this board, what a great derby!! Run by a classy bunch of people and they really know how to show you a good time. They had guys driving around in the morning handing out muffins and hot apple cider for the kids. Provide free shiners, and the prize selection was just great. They dont give any cash awards, just prizes and its just a great way to do it. Fished with my son Brady,  Banman, our buddy Jim and his 6 year old Connor. Our first spot we sat in for about the first 4 hours, totally skunked! 1 flag in the first 4 hours, with so many holes it was a bit depressing. We decided to move over to this other cove where no one else was and our day picked up. Over the next 4 hours we must of had 30 flags. We pretty much let the kids pull up all the fish. At the end of the day my son Brady won the 6 and under Pickerel category 1.5lb fish, and Connor got 1st pace in the Perch Category, Brady got 2nd. They each won a brand new tipup with line, and Brady won a Lion King fishing Rod set. The club had raffles as well to win nicer prizes and gift certificates. I got pretty lucky, my daughter won a monoploy game, Brady won a $20 gift card for The Ice Hole, and I won 2 out of the 5 Grand Prizes...got a new Interstate Marine Battery and a Pflueger 7.6" fly rod and reel as well as a spinning reel. Overall it was a great day for prizes and fishing for the family. Also met JMerrimack (Jeff) and his son Mason for the first time. Really nice guy!

Here are the boys with their prizes! Sorry for the Camera phone pix.

Brady with his winning Pick:

Today he and I spent the day out in Brookline. Stopped by the Ice Hole and picked up 5 dozen shiners and an new Indian Hill Trap with that $20 gift card ;-) We were on the ice by 6am and didnt have a flag for the 1st hour. After that first hour though, OH BOY did we have our work cut out for us. Flag after flag after flag, 2 or 3 at a time! One time we had 4 all go at once out of the 10 traps we had out. With the 60 shiners I bought in the morning, we RAN OUT!! Never went more than 15 minutes without some action. We landed probably 30 fish today, bass, about a dozen yellow perch, 2 hornpout, a few pumpkinseeds, Crappie, and 3 nice bluegills. Not a single pickerel though.

Needless to say I am WIPED OUT!!! He was passed out sleeping 10 minutes into our car ride home. Both morning he was up before 5 am with me and was very motivated. I was so proud of him ad how well he did today.

Great day of being a daddy!!

Picture of Brady with his first Crappie of the day:

His first Hornpout ever:

Me and my boy!

-Scott

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 48 Hours, 2 Derbies!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Congrats to you and the kids :) very nice pics. :clap:

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:55 PM »
You cant beat that with a stick or a jig stick.....nice job and great memories! Way to be a dad.

JIGGIN.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:56 PM »
awesome report scott
                 very cool congrats to the little man !!he's a fishing machine !!!!!!

Offline jackinthebobhouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Spent this weekend fishing with my 5 year old son. We did 2 derbies, the Horsehoe Fish and Game derby on Greens Pond in Merrimack and the Brookline Lake Potanipo Derby.

Saturday:
I will say, if any Horsehoe guys are on this board, what a great derby!! Run by a classy bunch of people and they really know how to show you a good time. They had guys driving around in the morning handing out muffins and hot apple cider for the kids. Provide free shiners, and the prize selection was just great. They dont give any cash awards, just prizes and its just a great way to do it. Fished with my son Brady,  Banman, our buddy Jim and his 6 year old Connor. Our first spot we sat in for about the first 4 hours, totally skunked! 1 flag in the first 4 hours, with so many holes it was a bit depressing. We decided to move over to this other cove where no one else was and out day picked up. Over the next 4 hours we must of had 30 flags. We pretty much let the kids pull up all the fish. At the end of the day my son Brady won the 6 and under Pickerel category 1.5lb fish, and Connor got 1st pace in the Perch Category, Brady got 2nd. They each won a brand new tipup with line, and Brady won a Lion King fishing Rod set. The club had raffles as well to win nicer prizes and gift certificates as well. I got pretty lucky, my daughter won a monoploy game, Brady won a $20 gift card for The Ice Hole, and I won 2 out of the 5 Grand Prizes...got a new Interstate Marine Battery and a Pflueger 7.6" fly rod and reel as well as a spinning reel. Overall it was a great day for prizes and fishing for the family. Also met JMerrimack (Jeff) and his son Mason for the first time. Really nice guy!

Here are the boys with their prizes! Sorry for the Camera phone pix.
(Image removed from quote.)

Brady with his winning Pick:

Today he and I spent the day out in Brookline. Stopped by the Ice Hole and picked up 5 dozen shiners and an new Indian Hill Trap with that $20 gift card ;-) We were on the ice by 6am and didnt have a flag for the 1st hour. After that first hour though, OH BOY did we have our work cut out for us. Flag after flag after flag, 2 or 3 at a time! One time we had 4 all go at once out of the 10 traps we had out. With the 60 shiners I bought in the morning, we RAN OUT!! Never went more than 15 minutes without some action. We landed probably 30 fish today, bass, about a dozen yellow perch, 2 hornpout, a few pumpkinseeds, Crappie, and 3 nice bluegills. Not a single pickerel though.

Needless to say I am WIPED OUT!!! He was passed out sleeping 10 minutes into our car ride home. Both morning he was up before 5 am with me and was very motivated. I was so proud of him ad how well he did today.

Great day of being a daddy!!

Picture of Brady with his first Crappie of the day:

His first Hornpout ever:

Me and my boy!
-Scott

Excellent weekend for you guys! Glad you took home some prizes too!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2010, 06:02 PM »
Way to go Brady and Connor :clap: :thumbsup: Nice job Scott taking your boy out. He must be quite the trooper to last two days in a row.

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Well done fellas!  :)

Offline JoeG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Kids will never forget it. good dad

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:15 PM »
Great Job Scott  :)

Glad to see the kids had a good time! Thanks for sharing the pics ;)

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Very nice!! congrats to you both!!!   :tipup:

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2010, 11:13 PM »
congrats. I was at the one in Merrimack on Saturday with my wife and son. I think I saw you. We showed up a little late (due to my son's bowling league) but as soon as we got there and setup we got one. Was actually a friend that let my son land a nice little 1.5 pound bass on his setup. That was very cool of him to do. My son had a blast. 1st time I have ever seen minnow races. My son kept giving me a beat up shiner though so I lost each race. He got a kick out of that.

My wife wants to do another so we are likely going to do Washington. You?

-Brian

Offline BassNH

• IceShanty Rookie
  • BassTurdNH
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2010, 03:20 AM »
Great job!  ;)
Fish tremble at the sound of my voice!

surflizard

« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2010, 04:27 AM »
That's really something to proud of Scott !! :thumbsup: Thanks for posting the story and pixs. Brought back the memories of my son Nick and me fishing the Webster lake derby when he was the same age as your son. Wow that was way too many moons ago ! :o

Offline Shakey Dad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2010, 05:00 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

nice work dad!!!

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2010, 06:46 AM »
Thanks guys, we had a lot of fun.

Offline trouthunternh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:15 AM »
I remember those days well. My son is now 24 and he takes me. Its interesting that he always loved going. Now he takes his buddies who have never been. It grows the sport with educated fishermen.

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Way to go Scott!!! Awesome job buddy.

I guess you went from No Fish Scott to kicking A$$ and taking prizes from every derby Scott  ;D

Keep it up buddy,very nice!
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2010, 11:56 AM »
Great day! I spent sunday cutting holes and helping the kids(and their dads) in the alton winter carnival fishing derby, it is a great feeling to watch them catch their first fish thru the ice.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Great day! I spent sunday cutting holes and helping the kids(and their dads) in the alton winter carnival fishing derby, it is a great feeling to watch them catch their first fish thru the ice.

One of those auger Caddieswould be great to have for doing that sort of thing. I am thinking of getting me one of those.

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:45 PM »
cool story, appreciate you sharing , it is great to hear the next generation of sportsman , next , you son will be out fishing you and get that wall hanger

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2010, 04:42 PM »
Great weekend for you and the kids, sure looks like everyone had a great time.
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Too you Scott
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2010, 05:40 PM »
Where have you been Ron, hope everything is ok?

Thanks!
-Scott

Offline jmerrimack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Scott it was nice to meet you and your son. We did manage to pick up some scraps in the raffles after you at Greens Pond. We decided to stay in the cove where we were at Patanipo. The wind was worse out in the middle where you were fishing. It was nice to see Rick from the Ice Hole at his shop and on the ice. Thanks Rick and the Ice Hole for being a sponser for the derbies. We had a great weekend!

Thanks Jeff

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.