The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: lake Owen/high country lakes  (Read 4386 times)

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
lake Owen/high country lakes
« on: Feb 14, 2010, 01:48 AM »
Good evening everyone,
i was wondering if any of you extend the ice fishing season by travelling into the high(er) country as the plains lakes thaw.  I know we have a little more time, but i want to extend the season when my usual haunts start to thaw.  Do any of you head up to Owen (w/o a snow mobile.) to get some more time in on the ice?  Can you access any of the higher country lakes and ponds from the road (w/a 4wd truck) in March?  Any help or experiences welcome.  Thanks, Chris

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
Re: lake Owen/high country lakes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2010, 12:48 PM »
Ive fished ownen to begin and end ice fishing season.

The way march was last year you got two options. One - snowmobile. Two - pack light and hoof it in. Snow was very thick in march last year and Sac and I pulled a sled and used snowhoes to get there. Brutal

On that note, has anyone ever fished rob roythroug the ice?
Tu ne cede malis

Offline fishaholictaz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2010, 02:16 PM »
I heard good things about ice fishing Rob Roy never been up there though.
        Get the kids fishing!!

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2010, 08:31 PM »
I have fished both in the summer but in winter wouldn't dream of getting in with out a snowmobile. 
Thread killer

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:27 PM »
oh well.  Ill check them out this summer for sure.  Thanks for the info.  Chris

Offline JackofallFish7

• IceShanty Rookie
  • School sucks, I'm goin' fishin'!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2010, 11:54 AM »
the ice does get think on all the mountain lakes but i've heard rumors that since the water ends up getting pumped over to Cheyenne the water level sometimes drops under the ice. Dunno if it's true or not but probably something worth taking into account. That's just roy and owen though, Silver Run, Marie and Mirror, for example aren't linked to that system i don't think.
There is a fine line between ice fishing and just standing on the ice looking like an idiot.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2010, 01:26 PM »
I heard good things about ice fishing Rob Roy never been up there though.

Do you guys know anything about Hog Park Reservoir?  When I go to Big Creek Lakes ( in Colorado) The road sign says 15 miles to hog park. Its in the freekin middle of nowhere.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2010, 02:42 PM »

Do you guys know anything about Hog Park Reservoir?  When I go to Big Creek Lakes ( in Colorado) The road sign says 15 miles to hog park. Its in the freekin middle of nowhere.
Slayer,
Long time ago in July (maybe 30 years ago), a friend and I fished and camped there.  We fished from a canoe and caught a couple browns and some real nice brook trout.  We camped in a small tent and woke up to frost on everything - this was in July.  We thought we were going to freeze.  It was a beautiful area at that time.  Hopefully, the beetles haven't killed the trees.  If you are going by anyway and have the time, I would drive in and have a look.  The road ran right along the river and was a pretty drive.  Wow! I forgot how old I was until I start thinking back to this kind of stuff.

Have a great day!

Keith

Offline tumbleweed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2010, 09:46 PM »
Hog Park sees alot of use both from the wyo and colo side. Occasionally a nice brown is taken there but most fish are rainbows in the 10-14" class with some brookies. I am  not sure whether splake are in there but I think they are. Three years ago we surveyed the campground for the forest service. I believe they have campground closed now for liability issues related to the beetle kill.

...Hmph, I been settin' so long my old behinder is stiff..." Doig's Grandma

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2010, 12:01 AM »
Pretty sure there are splake at hog park.

Offline BSTIME

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2010, 03:42 PM »
I went to Hog Park the summer before last, did not fish the lake, but camped nearby and took horses into the Zirkel Wilderness area in Colorado, to the head waters of the Encampement River. The campgrounds were mostly open at the lake. They have had extensive beetle kill in that area and some campgrounds and trailheads were closed, but not all of them.
I doubt that the road into there is open in the winter, but I don't know for sure. We were there July 4th weekend and the lake was very busy.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Pretty sure there are splake at hog park.

Maybe what we caught were splake.  Looked like brood trout to us "flatlanders".

Keith

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2010, 07:11 PM »
Sorry I wasn't trying to tell you what you caught, I was just confirming that species among others was there.

Offline Keith Walters

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Sorry I wasn't trying to tell you what you caught, I was just confirming that species among others was there.

No need to feel sorry, At that time, I may not have even known about splake.  I think I may be older than splake!  Ha!

later,
Keith

Offline bix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2010, 05:51 PM »
KEITH...I'M POSITIVE THOSE WERE BROOKIES. 2LBS+

I DO THINK THERE ARE SPLAKE IN THERE, BUT DON'T THINK THEY WERE THAT OH! SO MANY YEARS AGO.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Mar 01, 2010, 08:27 AM »
I love fishing new spots.  So many lakes, so little time-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline wyoming_man

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 01, 2010, 03:31 PM »
Hog Park does have splake and has had for quite some time.  The largest I have pulled out of there was 25" 6+lbs on a black wooly bugger.  In a normal year you cannot get to Hog park till mid June and usually its the Black Hall road that opens up first.  If you do go in for the ice be ready for a snow machine ride.

I was just talking to a friend the other day about hitting the high mountain lakes.  My concern is the ice thickness and quality.  Does the heavy snow above insulate the ice too much to make good clear thick ice?  Always wondered that.  Never been brave enough to check.  I just may have to try it this year.  Maybe a trek into Bear lake for some goldens thru the ice?  That would certainly be a first for me!

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:39 PM »
I fished brooklyn lake up in the snowys and that ice is very thick. The way winter is/was this year I'm sure I would need an extention.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline Wyoflyfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 01, 2010, 06:18 PM »
I've fished Brooklyn also and North Twin lake a few times this year.  The ice is always very thick.  Last time I was close to needing an extension, and that was about 3-4 weeks ago.  The fishing is always pretty easy though!

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #19 on: Mar 01, 2010, 07:50 PM »
Sunday we visited Johnson reservoir and caught a bunch of little rainbows. It was kinda fun 'cause they were in 1-4 fow so we just sight fished them.

Has anyone seen 'bows that look like this?

Tu ne cede malis

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 01, 2010, 09:48 PM »
yes and no, I've caught some at Curt Gowdy with spots on their bellies but not quite as heavy as yours there. Still kinda strange though. Nice fish anyhow. I've thought about going there this winter, how is the dirt road in and how's the ice. I fly fished there last summer, nice little lake.

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #21 on: Mar 01, 2010, 10:00 PM »
The ice is good. Out by the damn near that rock face is sketchy.

If you go there hit up the inlet. You will see all our holes.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline John224

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 06, 2010, 11:02 PM »
the ice does get think on all the mountain lakes but i've heard rumors that since the water ends up getting pumped over to Cheyenne the water level sometimes drops under the ice. Dunno if it's true or not but probably something worth taking into account. That's just roy and owen though, Silver Run, Marie and Mirror, for example aren't linked to that system i don't think.

Yeah bud, stay off of Rob Roy.  My dad works at the water plant for Cheyenne and there is sometimes 10 to 15 feet of air between the ice and the water on that lake. Everything else is fine to fish off of though.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Mar 09, 2010, 08:37 AM »
Yeah bud, stay off of Rob Roy.  My dad works at the water plant for Cheyenne and there is sometimes 10 to 15 feet of air between the ice and the water on that lake. Everything else is fine to fish off of though.
Having ice 15 ft above the water is a physical impossibility.  Ice is heavy and needs the support of the water. Nothing personal but that is an old wives tale.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #24 on: Mar 09, 2010, 10:42 AM »
I was thinking the same thing. If its drawing down slowly the ice would buckle and come down with the water level. Still doesn't mean the ice on Rob Roy is safe by any means.
Tu ne cede malis

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.