Author Topic: A Little Help here  (Read 710 times)

Offline fishingsurveyor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
A Little Help here
« on: Feb 12, 2010, 04:29 PM »
Still being new to my LX-5 gotta ask a couple of dumb questions.

1- Was fishing the other night 56 fow I had the bottom was showing up with a rather large band of red and a thin line of yellow. I suspect I may have a bit of weeds down there? but as i intensly watched it would change to a green color. I turned my gain down as much a possible could only see my jig when i moved it. Is my read of the bottom correct.

2- It also appeared that the bottom would show a slight flucutation of depth 1 ft or less It looked like it wiggled if that makes sense.

3- Marked a fish about 36 fow adjusted my zoom to that depth and set my SFL now i see multiple lines at or near that depth. I suspect they were mulitple fish? the lake i am on does have smelts.?

Just let me know if i am on the right track here

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: A Little Help here
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2010, 05:13 PM »
Still being new to my LX-5 gotta ask a couple of dumb questions.

1- Was fishing the other night 56 fow I had the bottom was showing up with a rather large band of red and a thin line of yellow. I suspect I may have a bit of weeds down there? but as i intensly watched it would change to a green color. I turned my gain down as much a possible could only see my jig when i moved it. Is my read of the bottom correct.

2- It also appeared that the bottom would show a slight flucutation of depth 1 ft or less It looked like it wiggled if that makes sense.

3- Marked a fish about 36 fow adjusted my zoom to that depth and set my SFL now i see multiple lines at or near that depth. I suspect they were mulitple fish? the lake i am on does have smelts.?

Just let me know if i am on the right track here

The wider the bottom band the softer the bottom. A mud bottom will have a wide band and a rock bottom will have a narrow band.
The fluctuation is a bit wierd (mine seems do do that when fish move through on bottom) I run my zoom all the time and it gives me a better picture close to bottom.
Seems like you have it correct, sounds like a school of bait moving through.

Offline the Wizard

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: A Little Help here
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2010, 07:24 AM »
 Fishingsurveyor:  You are doing fine . It is possible that wind blowing or current can make the ice move up and down slightly which in turn will show your bottom changing [up and down ] hence the flicker.   I notice this some times when a snowmobile passes by close and the water in the hole sloshes around , the bottom flickers more for a moment.
  Also I believe , if you have zoom on - the sfl goes on automatic.
   Good luck with your Marcum you will love it I'm sure...                                             Wiz
If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so. – Thomas Jefferson

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry. – Thomas Jefferson

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.