Author Topic: GrannnnPaaaghhhh!  (Read 4831 times)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
GrannnnPaaaghhhh!
« on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:18 PM »
The derby was over and we were the last ones on the ice hoping to hit some Crappie and gills at the end of the day.

A young lady that was ice skating (she was maybe 12 years old) at her grandparents house came over and had a million questions as to what we were doing?

Did we catch any fish?
Where were they?
Were they big?
Could she she them?
Could she have one?
Could she buy one?
Could she use our gear to catch her own?

It was cute at first but started to distract my Partner and I.  So I explained that, No she could not use our tip ups.  She would have to ask her Grandpa for some gear...... Then She left.

Twenty minutes later and she comes back with an old zebco outfit that had mono that had been coiled on it for a few decades.  It looked like a slinky with a rusty old hook tied to the end

"Hey Mr. " she says  "I got a rubber worm and I found a guppy on the ice"  "Could you please tell me how to catch one of those fish?  Please, maybe a hint?"

We gave the quick low down on how to let the bait hit the bottom and give it a few jigs and repeat. She thanked us and started to go back towards her Grandparents house with so much bait stuck on the hook it looked like a medieval mace.

Not too much time goes by and we hear a scream..... a Big Scream.. looking over in that direction we see the girl hightailing it off the ice, holding the line a foot above what looked to be a 17 or 18 " pickerell Yelling GrannnnPaaaaghhh!!!

All this week my fishing Buddy and I have been greeting each other with a healthy GrannnnPaaaaghhh!!!

;D Gotta love the kids!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: GrannnnPaaaghhhh!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12, 2010, 04:31 AM »
Cool!! It always seems the Innocent, un-expecting ones are the ones to catch the fish. Hope she gets hooked on ice fishing and granpaaaghhhh takes her. No better way to bond with kids than the outdoors.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:40 AM »
Thats classic! I'm glad she hooked up with something. "Grannnnpaaghhh" is definently the battle cry for the rest of the season!

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:13 AM »
PRICELESS! I'm sure Grandpa was thinking "THANKS A LOT GUY"S! NOW SHE"LL WANT TO GO ALL THE TIME ..."

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline snapozz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • oh no its weed'ez watch out.....:icefishing:
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:16 AM »
great story. and always with a great story comes the great ending.. good deal for her ;D
Its like my pap told me, "son its the way you hold you mouth"
so i like to keep mine open ;)

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:24 AM »
Glad you guys like the story  ;)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline wyowind

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Way cool!! Thanks for sharing.

Offline JG ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2010, 04:10 PM »
good for her
flags a poppin

Offline girthymuskie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2010, 06:59 PM »
I like these great ice fishing stories, gets me even more hooked and wish I could read more of them.  Thanks for sharing, jimmy!

Offline bucketbass

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • rippin lips
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2010, 03:36 PM »
grandpa had to take it off the line and go out to put it back in the water...poor guy trying to chill out
well there you have it boys and girls anyone can do it...you just got to be out there

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 27, 2010, 02:13 PM »
With as excited as She was,  I think they had to eat it, take it to the Taxidermy or, She was gonna make it her new teddy bear! ;)

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 03, 2010, 09:04 AM »
aww that was nice of you to pass on your tips!   and after she caught it Im sure you guys got some credit!   wasnt that trip worth it now!   
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2010, 05:49 AM »
Anybody wanna be my Grandpaaaaa and teach me how to do it too?

Offline spudsaway

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2013, 09:35 AM »
Not ice fishing but Little girl story.. I camp at a place with its own pond , carp , cat fish , Perch... I go to this pond to fish a couple of hours a day while wife hits the pool. So I go down and two little girls are sitting on the board walk dangling line in the water. I stay away rig up my Carp rig and cast.  2 min tops 1 little girl is holding her rod and a big catfish is pulling hard. I can see him because he i pulling and that pulled him up in the water , huge.   Line breaks.  The Little girl sadly puts her rod down. She is very sad and kinda looking over at me and her and her buddy are talking.. She asks if I have a hook I could lend her. I say to put her rod on the fence and I will check and see.  She ;leans her rod up against the fence and walks away.. I tie on a nice hook and a couple of split shot, tell her shes ready to go...   Her friend has been catching perch the whole time .. I am getting Nada.  The Girl baits up drops her line in.   Bam Big Catfish around 4 feet long. Now she is holding on tight and the rod is bent way over. I was worried she would get pulled into the water. I was getting up to help her when she lets go rod catapults over the fish and fish takes off fast now rod is swimming away fast then it all disappears.. Th Little girl throws her arms in the air and in a big voice but not screaming say LOST MY ROD ..  She is upset it was her brothers.. I have still caught nothing..The two come up to me and give me a little pile of stuff. Chicken Hot dog that's what you need and walk away..   Little girls have all the luck , my Daughter used to out fish me all the time

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.