Author Topic: Pigeon Lake 05  (Read 5007 times)

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
Pigeon Lake 05
« on: Nov 05, 2004, 04:06 PM »
Okay who is going to Pigeon for the orginal ice fishing derby this year? I know the guy that one will more than likely be there! But what about those who went and didn't win, are you guys going? I had tickets and ended up not being able to go but my friends went and fished for me. So I pretty nuch knew I wasn't going to win anything cause I can out fish them any day. LOL
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff
B&D Custom Lures Pro Staff

Offline David_the_fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happy Jigging
Re: Pigeaon Lake 05
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2004, 01:19 PM »
hey im goin to the derby with my dad. ;D

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2004, 10:15 AM »
Think I'll pass, sitting around ten thousand predrilled holes with other people, trying to catch a fish? Not my thing.

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 13, 2004, 09:22 AM »
Actually there are only about 3000 holes or less. And all you have to do is catch one regulation fish to win a really great prize. It is worth the chance for me!
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 13, 2004, 05:41 PM »
Yeah right, 3000 anglers and about 98 fish registered last year, $70 to enter.  People line up the night before for the good holes, of which incidentally there are about four(the corner holes)I'll think I'll pass as well.  Not to mention the thought of running through hoards of drunken anglers with a fish in a five gallon pail of water to have it registered before it dies does really not turn my crank.  When someone in alberta organizes a "Trap Attack" type tourney where you can drill your own holes and fish wherever you choose on the lake with whatever means at your disposal within the regs count me in.  Until then I'll save my $70.

I recall last year listening to guys complain about how much it sucked.  I remember I spent that day on another lake about four hours from Pigeon with non-stop action for Burbot.  All it cost was my fuel....I had a blast.

Trevor

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2004, 04:30 PM »
Burbot Eh! I should go fishing with you instead Trevor. I love the taste of Ling cod. Last year the big fish were caught inside the perimeter unlike the year before they were caught on the outside edge. Sure makes it tough to find the perfect spot. :-\
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2004, 06:33 PM »
Hmm, that's good, makes it a little more fair for the guys who don't feel like waiting in line for a day.

Trevor

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2004, 02:45 PM »
At times I get frustrated when there is 5 or 10 people around me.  I think I'd last all of 5 minutes at this event before total meltdown set in.  Not my idea of fishing thats for sure.  Now make it a "full contact" event and things may get interesting :P
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline Trevor

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2004, 09:50 PM »
Ahhhh.....solitude, good old solitude.  I hear ya there man.  I take it even a step further in that I usually feel aggravated just upon seeing another angler approaching from across the lake as I stand over my hole.  For many ice fishing is a reason to enjoy the drink and comradery.  For me it's time to shut up and get to some serious fishin ;D

Trevor

Offline The Muddler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 27" Bulltrout
Re: Pigeon Lake 05
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2004, 09:39 AM »
Yeah I've felt that aggravation at someone commin' right at me to talk when I just want to fish.  Thats why I love having a shelter...its a kinda "I need my space" signal plus its a great way to keep people from seeing how many fish your catching and moving in too close.  I think the absolute worst is when people have a whole lake to fish but choose to move within spitting distance of the only other person out there.
I fish therefore I AM!

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2004, 03:54 PM »
The contest is more like a lottery. I have gone for the last 3 years and have fun at it. I too would like a Trap Attack type. It is a money grab, but I don't buy lottery tickets so feel justified in putting out the 70$. I must correct you though Trevor: there was only 68 fish caught. They had a draw for the remaining prizes left over. This year they will also not be accepting burbot. Not sure why unless maybe your regulations changed in Alberta??? I will be there again in February to watch the spectacle but this is definately not a way to put your ice angling skills against others.

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2004, 04:46 PM »
I'll see you in the beginning of the line Terry! :)
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2004, 07:31 PM »
Are you really going to make it this year JP? If so, I will be the one with the dead eye ;) at front or close to it. A couple of guys last year were at the front and drank so much they could only stagger to their hole the next morning. They started lining up at 3pm the day before. Was quite a spectacle. I don't mind a drink or few but to the point of pukeing down your hole was a little much.

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2004, 04:14 PM »
Hey Terry was one of those guys a bad speaker? I mean did he sound like he was a Newfy? If so, those would be the guys I was suppost to go with. Two chubby guys and the skinny newfy, said they were near the front of the line. Anyway I'll be seeing ya'.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2004, 12:43 AM »
Good

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #15 on: Nov 24, 2004, 02:07 AM »
I sure am gonna' try! I am set to go but still waiting for my fishin buddy to confirm.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 24, 2004, 07:51 AM »
Don't get beat up this year JP ;)

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #17 on: Dec 15, 2004, 02:08 AM »
Gee thanks Terry. ::)
I'll try. Got your tickets yet? I am still waiting for my bud to confirm and get me some money for his ticket. I told him I wanted to be in for the earlybird draws.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2004, 07:22 PM »
Definately want to be in on early-bird prizes. No I have not got my tickets yet. Still waiting to see if I will get my requested holidays this year. End of month should know.

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2005, 01:55 AM »
I might not be going now, as time off work may be a problem as well for me. I'll keep you posted.
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Rock Bottom

« Reply #20 on: Mar 10, 2005, 02:24 PM »
So did any of you end up going? I worked for them setting up the debys across canada, the people who own it live here in the same town as I do. I ran there store for them as well untill I bought them out, your exactly right about the lottery but even still 70 bucks to win 20,000.00. Lots of people will put double that into a slot machine to win 1,000 dollars. Anyway I started a 2 man team derby, fish all day with shantys allowed, boundry is about 3 square miles, catch and release and you can weigh in 4 of any species fishing regulation allows you to keep. For example we can keep 4 walleye under 18 inches 4 pike only one over 30 inches 4 tulibee,perch,burbot etc the team with the largest combined weight wins. Go back to a hall for dinner cash bar and handout prizes, makes for a great day.

Offline Josephs Prairie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • See you on the ice!
« Reply #21 on: Mar 11, 2005, 01:45 AM »
Where's that at, rock bottom? Sounds like fun too!
NAFC Life Member
Catcherman.com Staff

Rock Bottom

« Reply #22 on: Mar 11, 2005, 07:40 AM »
It is here in MB on Lake Dauphin, it is not a very large event as of now but it will grow.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 11, 2005, 10:37 AM »
So did any of you end up going? I worked for them setting up the debys across canada, the people who own it live here in the same town as I do. I ran there store for them as well untill I bought them out, your exactly right about the lottery but even still 70 bucks to win 20,000.00. Lots of people will put double that into a slot machine to win 1,000 dollars. Anyway I started a 2 man team derby, fish all day with shantys allowed, boundry is about 3 square miles, catch and release and you can weigh in 4 of any species fishing regulation allows you to keep. For example we can keep 4 walleye under 18 inches 4 pike only one over 30 inches 4 tulibee,perch,burbot etc the team with the largest combined weight wins. Go back to a hall for dinner cash bar and handout prizes, makes for a great day.

Sounds like fun but the weigh in kind of scares me. Down in New York they are having trouble with cheaters putting weights up the fish. Hope if you have a weigh in, then you have a metal detector or something to detect foreign objects. Have a read of the NY General section. Amazing what the organizers let go. Could have been their buddies and something arranged.
I like going to the Original cause you have a better chance of winning than the 6-49 Lottery. Lots of prizes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.