Author Topic: Question about fishing for Pickeral  (Read 2903 times)

Offline PHISHNH

• IceShanty Rookie
Question about fishing for Pickeral
« on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:05 AM »
I'm going to target pickeral over the weekend.  When setting traps what whould I use for a leader.  Also what hooksize?  I plan on using shiners for bait.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Question about fishing for Pickeral
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:12 AM »
I'm going to target pickeral over the weekend.  When setting traps what whould I use for a leader.  Also what hooksize?  I plan on using shiners for bait.

This past weekend while fishing with my kids I caught 4 of them on size 8 hooks, 6 feet of 6lb fluro leader, and medium shiners. I only had the shiners just below the ice. They pretty much will eat anything if its moving....

Hope that helps!

Offline bassranger

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:17 AM »
You can use Fire Line or Power Pro for a leader just keep a eye on it. As far as hook size it really doesn't matter just match the size of your hook to the size of bait you are using.
If I'm not fishing then I'm not happy

Offline Rockfish Redneck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:38 AM »
try to not target them and you'll probably catch them all day. that how it usually works for me!

but seiously, don't go too deep, keep your baitfish closer to the ice, and proximity to vegetation/weeds/grass helps!

Offline possumilk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:36 AM »
seriously, you guys fish right under the ice for pickerel and bass.  i normally fish a couple feet off the bottom with decent results.  perhaps i should try pulling a couple up higher and see what happens.
>))))))>

Offline MM65

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2010, 12:19 PM »
  I normally fish a foot or two off the Bottom as well. I currently use,15lb. floro but check it often.
Pickerel aren't picky.

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2010, 12:26 PM »
i like fishing right under the ice for pickeral and bass in shallow water if im fishing a little deeper i like to fish midway i like using bigger shiners for both as well

catch pike like its my job

Offline PHISHNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2010, 12:44 PM »
Thank You everyone.  I hope I get them.  Will let you know!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2010, 12:46 PM »
Pickerell 18" off the bottom in or near the weeds. Trouts and salmon just under the ice. 
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Here Fishy Fishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2010, 04:09 PM »
ya you want to fish right off the bottom and use fireline or power pro u will catch way more per hook

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2010, 04:17 PM »
generaly i fish in shallow water for them 5-6 feet and i just bring it up about 12"-18" off bottum using med shiners on a no.8 hook and i use fireline crystal 12lbs test ...i have fished in some deep water the same way with good results like stated above they arn't picky ive caught them jigging with a waxworm lol that was a fun fight

good luck and let us know how you did

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2010, 04:46 PM »
I just caught one this afternoon in a foot of water under more than two feet of ice, I catch them all the time at all depths and with any method, easy and fun!
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:59 PM »
3 to 8 feet of water with heavy vegatation..also wide sand flats or gravel with mixed veg is where you will have your best results..they are a predator and are not difficult to catch as they eat anything that moves !! heavy mono or flouro in 12 to 25 lb.and hook size from 6 to 2 are gonna be fine also match your hook size to your bait size also .if your after only pikerel use large or extra large shiners and this will keep the dink perch off your baits..good lucklet us know how you do !!

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:55 PM »
from my experience, pickeral seem to come back after a missed hook more often than any other fish.  so if you're spool's screaming and you set the hook, but miss...just leave it there for a minute or so before you pull er in to check the bait.  they're greedy b@stards  ;D ;D

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:43 PM »
from my experience, pickeral seem to come back after a missed hook more often than any other fish.  so if you're spool's screaming and you set the hook, but miss...just leave it there for a minute or so before you pull er in to check the bait.  they're greedy b@stards  ;D ;D
   i had one yesterday break my leader i tied a new hook on and as i was dropping my bait it grabbed the bait when i brought up the 23 incher it had both my hooks in its mouth

catch pike like its my job

Offline PHISHNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:39 AM »
Awesome guys,  great advice.  I am headed to a small derby in merrimack and bringing my niece and nephew. Prizes are for perch and pickeral.  I will try different depths but it sounds like these things will eat anything, anywhere.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2010, 07:45 AM »
Awesome guys,  great advice.  I am headed to a small derby in merrimack and bringing my niece and nephew. Prizes are for perch and pickeral.  I will try different depths but it sounds like these things will eat anything, anywhere.

Hey PHISHNH stop by and say hello, I will also be here with my kids Look for my Red Eskimo pop up shelter, or Yellow Honda ATV.

Last year the fishing was HORRIBLE, the winning fish was like an 11" pickerel. The kids had fun though because there were a lot of them aound. Buy the raffle tickets, its the best way to win prizes, I hope the fishing is better tomorrow.

Offline diz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:22 AM »
I don't know where the derby is in Merrimack, but I was at Naticook Lake the other day caught 4 pickeral in about 7' of water with medium shiners bout a 1 1/2' off the bottom.

Good luck

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:56 AM »
I don't know where the derby is in Merrimack, but I was at Naticook Lake the other day caught 4 pickeral in about 7' of water with medium shiners bout a 1 1/2' off the bottom.

Good luck

Its on Green's Pomd or the Horseshoe Pond Fish and Game Club.

Naticook produces pretty well, kids always have fun when we go there.

Offline isthereiceyet89

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "the Green Hornet strikes again!!!"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2010, 01:26 PM »
went out today and caught 6 little ones the one started attacking my depther Lil they r so dumb

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 12, 2010, 01:44 PM »
Logically you would think that they would be closer to the bottom, but they are notorious for coming right up to the hole in anticipation of a free meal.
How many of us have had a pick take the bait when setting a trap in a freshly cut hole?
I used to be able to tell friends that after setting the first trap, heading to our second hole I'd tell them to turn around.
At least half of the time the flag would already be up.

The funniest (and most annoying) aspect of getting picks when you are targeting other fish is that it really doesn't matter how big or small your bait is: If the pick can fit it in their mouth, they WILL!

If you haven't seen this yet, you will. Picture a 12 inch pick eating a 6 inch shiner.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2010, 02:41 PM »
try to not target them and you'll probably catch them all day. that how it usually works for me!

but seiously, don't go too deep, keep your baitfish closer to the ice, and proximity to vegetation/weeds/grass helps!

Im not saying i would target pickerel out in deep water, but we have caught our largest ones in water over 60' fishing for rainbows, just under the ice.
The big ones seem to follow the smelt. no matter, what the depth.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 12, 2010, 03:51 PM »
The big ones seem to follow the smelt. no matter, what the depth.

And what size catergory do you consider "The big ones"?  Just curious :)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 12, 2010, 04:03 PM »
And what size catergory do you consider "The big ones"?  Just curious :)

For NH not NY ;) 25" or better and 5lbs for weight.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:31 AM »
25" is big for here....They get bigger as you go South....

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #25 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:49 AM »
need help.....how can i not catch them......dominated the scene yesterday.......
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #26 on: Feb 14, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Any flaggs?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.