The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Trouble with first power auger  (Read 5311 times)

Offline neil2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
Trouble with first power auger
« on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:10 PM »
Hi all,

Bought a used Magnum III model tc300 this year and I'm having trouble.. First day out I cut 30 holes with seemingly no problems except that at the bottom it really grabs and jerks and even backing up and going in again it doesn't sem to cut through smoothly(I did put on a brand new chipper blade).  When I got home I took the auger off the power head and noticed that the screw was bent.  Off to the hardware store and I got a nice stainless scew and put it back together for the next day.  Tried to redrill old holes and found that it really grabbed doing that so I stopped that and began new holes again.  On the second new hole it just stopped turning.  The motor runs strong but the blade don't spin.  :o  What did I break?

Offline troutinator

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Its not the Kill,Its the Thrill of the Chase"
Re: Trouble with first power auger
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:27 PM »
Sounds like You spun the shaft going into the bit,I'd call the company & explain what happened,They should help You out..

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:35 PM »
Sounds like a shear pin in the gear box. Could be the clutch, but it should have started slipping before it just quit if that was the case. Is there a pin or bolt that holds the bit on the drive shaft? Check that first.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:42 PM »
Sounds like you blew your clutch...I don't believe that model has a shear pin. (Could be wrong...probably have to crack your gearcase)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:45 PM »
If you held the auger in the air and gave it the gas you would know if the auger bolt is broke or you snapped something in the gear box. Hopefully they stand behind the warranty.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2010, 10:09 PM »
Hi all,

Bought a used Magnum III model tc300 this year and I'm having trouble.. First day out I cut 30 holes with seemingly no problems except that at the bottom it really grabs and jerks and even backing up and going in again it doesn't sem to cut through smoothly(I did put on a brand new chipper blade).  When I got home I took the auger off the power head and noticed that the screw was bent.  Off to the hardware store and I got a nice stainless scew and put it back together for the next day.  Tried to redrill old holes and found that it really grabbed doing that so I stopped that and began new holes again.  On the second new hole it just stopped turning.  The motor runs strong but the blade don't spin.  :o  What did I break?

I have a Magnum III plus TC300, 49cc

Magnum was bought out by StrikeMaster.  Strike Master told me to contact this outfit for Magnum repairs and parts.  D-Rock CENTERS SMALL ENGINE REPAIRS 175 Old Highway 8 SW New Brighton Mn. 55112 Phone: 651-639-0446

Their customer service is excellent, and parts delivery is fast and reliable.  I usually received my parts within 2-3 days tops.

By the way mine hangs up at the bottom of the hole too.  I find backing off a bit then punching through works.  It's like drilling through metal with a drill bit, at least it seems so to me.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2010, 10:13 PM »
By the way the folks over at D-ROCK told me to hang on to that auger as long as you had compression.  Seems that the old Magnum is a pretty good auger.  I have had mine since 1988 and with a few minor repairs it still works well.  FYI a 49cc engine is about 3 hourse power.  I only mention that because I didn't have a clue about cc's

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2010, 10:17 PM »
One other thing...., redrill old holes...,not a good thing.

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2010, 11:17 PM »
i have no idea why anybody redrills hole when ya can move over 12 inches and still fish the same spot... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline neil2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:52 AM »
Thanks Everybody,

The shaft itself does not spin - or more accurately does until you apply pressure.  I rather suspected a shear pin of some sort and I'm not afraid to open it up.  I did find D-rock while researching this and the expanded doesn't show anything I would call a shear pin so maybe I toasted the clutch.  I agree there is no good reason to re-drill a hole and I'll never do it again ;D.  I grabbed the auger for a hundred bucks and it is spotless and runs hard so I don't mind a little time and money to get it right.  I'll let you all know.  Thanks again.  FLAAAAAG!!

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Call D-Rock their people will help you.

I know I sound like I have stock in them.., I don't!., I am just a very satisfied customer.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:15 AM »
i have no idea why anybody redrills hole when ya can move over 12 inches and still fish the same spot...

'Redrilling' typically applies in a shanty that hasn't been moved since the original holes froze-over. It's not something anyone should need to do out in the open or with a shanty that's easy to move.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:31 AM »
My old 3 hp Jiffy re-drills old holes with no problem, I even remember reading in the instructions when it was new it said it is ok to re-drill old holes. I know on some augers it is a no no, I think it has to do with what type of cutting blade you have, I think I could drill through rock with my old Jiffy. And yes they do hang up a little when you break through the bottom of your hole, they all do.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2010, 11:36 AM »
i have no idea why anybody redrills hole when ya can move over 12 inches and still fish the same spot... ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Its for the guys who fish in a permanent shanty. Too heavy to move by yourself each time you drive out to fish.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2010, 12:25 PM »
Its for the guys who fish in a permanent shanty. Too heavy to move by yourself each time you drive out to fish.

Your right!...,funny how you forget about it when your more moble.  Lots of guys around here still have permanent shacks, and have as much fun as we do running around.

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2010, 12:40 PM »
'Redrilling' typically applies in a shanty that hasn't been moved since the original holes froze-over. It's not something anyone should need to do out in the open or with a shanty that's easy to move.

If I'm fishing in the same spot on another day it's much easier opening up my old holes than drilling new.
I have a 10 1/4" Strikemaster Cobra with chipper blade and have no issues.
I hear the non-chipper blades have problems reopening old holes.
For me it's much easier to drill through a few inches of ice in a frozen hole than it is to drill fresh through 4 or 5 feet of untouched ice.   8)

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Not sure who made the gear box for Magnum III but we have seen some clutch drums at fault on older Ardisam gear boxes. The center of the drum has a short shaft with gear welded in it. The short shaft/gear breaks loose from the drum. The clutch still turns the drum but is no longer connected to the shaft.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2010, 01:16 PM »
If I'm fishing in the same spot on another day it's much easier opening up my old holes than drilling new.
I have a 10 1/4" Strikemaster Cobra with chipper blade and have no issues.
I hear the non-chipper blades have problems reopening old holes.
For me it's much easier to drill through a few inches of ice in a frozen hole than it is to drill fresh through 4 or 5 feet of untouched ice.   8)

Glad you brought this up.  My old Magnum has a claw like cutter.  What kind is that.  What is a chipper cutter?  I don't see why a guy couldn't get one to fit on another shaft if the size matchs up, but maybe I'm wrong on that point too.  How about the ones with cutter on both sides?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2010, 02:02 PM »
Glad you brought this up.  My old Magnum has a claw like cutter.  What kind is that.  What is a chipper cutter?  I don't see why a guy couldn't get one to fit on another shaft if the size matchs up, but maybe I'm wrong on that point too.  How about the ones with cutter on both sides?

The chipper or ripper type blades look like a comb while the shaver type blades are like hand auger blades.
The shaver blades do not reopen holes well.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2010, 02:16 PM »
I guess mine is a chipper/ripper type.  Thanks, glad to know that.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #20 on: Feb 09, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Yea my Jiffy has a chipper, looks like a bear claw, I have never had to sharpen it or anything in 15 years and it still cuts through fast.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 09, 2010, 09:46 PM »
Yup my Mag is 22 years old, and cuts like a champ.  It goes to show you, if you take care of them they last a long time.

Offline neil2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:36 AM »
Toothfish,

I'd put my money on that clutch drum from the way it acted.  Won't be able to tear it down 'til Friday so I'll know better then.  I also noticesd that the bolt holding the auger to the shaft is bent at the end.  Is that common or am I being too hard on it?

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:43 AM »
Toothfish,

I'd put my money on that clutch drum from the way it acted.  Won't be able to tear it down 'til Friday so I'll know better then.  I also noticesd that the bolt holding the auger to the shaft is bent at the end.  Is that common or am I being too hard on it?

Sounds like you got a heck of a lot of tork and power in the auger, AND ARMS LIKE POPEYE! ;D

I wouldn't mind hearing a step by step, play by play of this.  Never know when a guy would have to do it.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #24 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:49 AM »
A few times with my Jiffy 3 hp on smooth ice the blade had caught and started spinning me around in circles a few times. lol

Offline neil2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Feb 10, 2010, 08:20 AM »
OK, I'll keep notes and take pics for a play by play.  I'm a maintenance tech at a nursing home so I'm always opening up machines and equipment I've never seen before.  I have arms like Olive Oyl but attitude like a pit bull :P

Offline neil2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Actually, I've got arms like Olive Oyl but I'm as tenacious as a pit bull ;D.  I am a maintenance tech at a nursing home so I am always opening up equipment and machines I've never worked on before.  I will take notes and pictures along the way and post a step by step of what I find.Thanks again to everybody who chipped in. Pun intended.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2010, 02:35 PM »
  I also noticed that the bolt holding the auger to the shaft is bent at the end.  Is that common or am I being too hard on it?

My personal auger (Eskimo with strikemaster lazer bit) uses a grade 8 socket head bolt to hold the auger bit on. (socket head bolt takes an allen wrench) The auger fits the shaft fairly tight. (3/4 shaft on a 3/4 hole with a 3/8 bolt) . I have seen many wrong size bolts used. like a 1/4 in a 3/8 hole....guarantee to bend.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2010, 02:41 PM »
i know that fellas ...in his post he said he went out and drilled 30 holes with it.. then with back the next day to try to redrill....be one heck of a shack that ya can drill 30 holes in.... ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D..

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2010, 02:44 PM »
i know that fellas ...in his post he said he went out and drilled 30 holes with it.. then with back the next day to try to redrill....be one heck of a shack that ya can drill 30 holes in.... ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D..
Thats a good idea! I think I'll make one! ;D ;D ;D
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.