Author Topic: Jiffy Help Needed  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
Jiffy Help Needed
« on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:22 AM »
Hi All:

I have a 1 yr old Jiffy Stealth 10" 3.0 that will not stay running. It's been difficult to start yet once it's started and I get a hole going she dies out within 10-20 seconds. If I can catch it before it dies and prime it a few more times it will stay running but not for long. I start it according to the directions with the choke and primer 3-4 times then go to 1/2 choke and then shut it off. Still stalls out, especially when it's real cold out...

Took the plug out and cleaned it up which was carboned up indicating a too of a rich fuel mixture. Also tried adding some 2 stroke (red bottle HEET) no change.

Any suggestions or anyone know a place that can do a quick tune up and get it running the way it should be. I bought this one as I thought it was one of the best but at this point I have been less impressed from the start but I'm not giving up as I know it's most likely an adjustment or tune up needed and I still think Jiffy was a good choice. I Live in Chester so anywhere around that area for repair would be great.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Johnny Ringo

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Jiffy Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:31 AM »
If you are using old gas drain the tank and add new gas with the synthetic two-stroke oil. 

Try adding some sea foam to your gas as well.  This will help to clean any crap that is in your carburetor out of it.

Finally adjust the low and high jet screws.  There is directions on this site on how to adjust them.  Try under the equipment section.

These carbs are very touchy and temperature sensitive.  My auger (an older Jiffy #30) was running great when we had the warmer weather in January.  Once the cold weather came in 2 weekends ago the auger would not run right at all.  I adjusted the high jet screw as it says on this site and the auger is running great again. 

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:38 AM »
I found the directions for you:

Sounds like your high idle screw needs adjustment.. mine does that every once in awhile. I always refer to this to fix it:

1.  Pull the yellow plastic caps out of the carb adjusters (if you still have these).

2.  Lightly seat both of the carb adjustment screws.

3.  The left screw, the "low" idle adjustment should be turrned out 1 1/8 turns.

4.  The right screw, the "high" idle adjustment should be turned out between 5/8 and 3/4 turns.

Adjust from there....

I adjust one half turn at a time.

Good luck. 

-John

Offline luvtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:45 AM »
My auger did the same thing out of the box and I was about to throw it out. Here is what I did, first got a new plug I belive it was a delco, second I use steel synthetic oil 50:1, after that you will need to adjust the low idle screw on your carb. pull the two red caps on the auger and adjust. I think the low idle screw is the left but check the owners manual, get the auger so it will idle with no throttle. After that adjust the high idle screw, open the throttle and get it so it will hold the higher rpms. It gets frustrating when your auger dosen't run right but after all this I would not trade my jiffy for any other auger. Good luck

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:54 AM »
Hi Guys:

Thanks for the advice. I will give it a try and see what happens. Working on engines is not my area of expertise but I like to learn..

JR

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:02 AM »
I have seen more posts about Jiffy augers not running, broken down etc.

Buy an Eskimo and you will never have a problem.. LOL  ;D
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:08 AM »
Too late now -I'm into the thing for several hundred $'s...

I agree there has been many discussions about Jiffy's needing tune up's...

Hopefully one this gets running right I won't need anymore help, otherwise I will consider another auger.

Offline reel time

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:16 AM »
I had a similar problem with my jiffy auger. I ended up taking mine to W.H. Sports off of Silk Farm Rd in Concord, just off exit 2 from I-89. Wayne fixed my auger quickly and at a decent price. He also sells bait. I saw his ad in the Hawkeye newspaper. I was very satified with his work. His phone # is 226-3283. Just Thought this might help.

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:59 AM »
a lot of times, these things sit in the boxes for a long time after production waiting to to used. during this time, the diaphrams and gaskets dry out causing vacuum leaks making them run like crap. you may be able to fix yours with some tweaks, but if that doesn't do it, it's likely that you'll need to do a carb rebuild (diaphram, gaskets). the rebuild kits are cheap though. any small engine repair shop worth their salt should be able to handle it no problem.

Offline waterfowlah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2010, 10:38 AM »
If you want to bring it to Dover Ill take a look at it.
Team Grizzly. ICE 55. Hopped up JIFFY owner ported polished custom expansion chamber 36" in 2.5 seconds HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline MikeF-NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2010, 10:45 AM »
I don't know if the new ones are the same as my older one but on the older ones, you have to loosen a vent screw on top of the gas tank when running. Not doing so will cause the exact issue you are describing.

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:03 PM »
Yes it has the air screw on the gas cover and I always open it when starting and running.

Based on reading the many possible things that it could be I think I will bring it over to Daves SM Engine on Rte 27 in Raymond. I hear he is pretty good.

Thanks again..

Offline waterfowlah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:34 PM »
He should be able to fix you up. I just fixed one that was having the same problem you described. good luck and good fishing.
Team Grizzly. ICE 55. Hopped up JIFFY owner ported polished custom expansion chamber 36" in 2.5 seconds HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:17 PM »
He should be able to fix you up. I just fixed one that was having the same problem you described. good luck and good fishing.

That was my Jiffy and it has never ran better, Thanks Marty.     

No need to buy another auger, that one is a machine when running right. The ripper blades are awesome.  Take a ride to Dover and you'll happy you did.  Fast service and great rates. 
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:55 PM »
Yes it has the air screw on the gas cover and I always open it when starting and running.

Based on reading the many possible things that it could be I think I will bring it over to Daves SM Engine on Rte 27 in Raymond. I hear he is pretty good.

Thanks again..

Johnny;

Don't take it to Dave's... I too am from Chester, try Strandell Power Equipment he used to be a Tecumseh authorized service center. He has fixed log splitter, lawn mower and other similar type engines for me in the past and did a great job.  I have not been there in a while so I am hoping he is still in business. Here is the number I have for them... 887-4162

Good Luck!

Dan

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2010, 03:57 PM »
Dan:

I know of the place and use to go there for my chainsaw (good place). I called the # and it says temporarily disconnected. I heard rumors he was selling or retiring etc a while back.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2010, 04:38 PM »
i have the same exact auger and it has about 8 or 9 years on it.....the baby can rip holes...i have the same problems......you need to let it warm up before you start ripping......even if you store it in the basement.....once you get through the first 2 holes its good after that....mess around with your idle screws....that does help, but let her warm up....
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2010, 12:09 PM »
Johnny;

Let me give you one more suggestion before you take your auger in for repair.  I had the exact same problems with my auger as you. No matter how much I adjusted the carburetor screws I just could not keep the darn thing running while cutting a hole without constantly squeezing the primer bulb. What I finally realized is that you must adjust the small torx head idle screw first in order for the carburetor adjusting screws to work properly. Once I increased the idle on the torx screw I was able to adjust the other carburetor screws properly and now my auger works great!! So here's the steps I did...

#1.  Gently screw in both carburetor adjustment screws until they stop GENTLY!!

#2. Unscrew both carburetor adjustment screws one full turn.

#3. Start engine and adjust torx idle screw so engine is revving slightly and shaft is turning.

#4. Adjust low idle carburetor adjustment screw to lower RPM's just to the point where shaft no longer turns.

#5. Open throttle all the way and adjust high idle screw. When adjusting this screw, make sure when going from idle to full throttle there is no hesitation whatsoever, if there is keep adjusting.

Good luck!

Dan

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2010, 03:53 PM »
Dan:

Thanks I will give it a shot....If I have no results I'll have to come by your place and have you fix it (seeing how we both live in chester)....

Thanks

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:21 PM »
 i also have the same auger.......and have had the same problem as you....in our situation we didnt keep the blade as sharp as it needed to be, and moved the "right handed" needle adjustment a little bit counter clockwise, and its actually a joy to use now.....keep your blades sharp, and it gives it less reason to "bog" down...
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

surflizard

« Reply #20 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:25 AM »
I was having a similar problem with my jiffy legend a few years back. Turned out to be varnish in the carb, from old gas. My wrench recommended using Stabile fuel stabilizer. Not one cough, sputter since. Good stuff !!

Offline Johnny Ringo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:06 AM »
Hi All:

Ok here's what I did

1. Drained the gas -
2. Changed the plug
3. Adjusted the idle screw as mentioned above by Dan
4. Adjusted the high speed screw
5. Switched to synthetic oil

Results are good, starts 1st or 2nd pull, maintains a good idle without stalling and runs strong at full throttle. Now I cant wait to open up some ice and drop some lines, hopefully this weekend..... ;D

Thanks for all your help...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.