Author Topic: ATV 4X4  (Read 1169 times)

ice sled

ATV 4X4
« on: Oct 31, 2004, 08:37 AM »
I recently bought a new ATV 4X4 was thinking about setting it up for ice fishing. What is your opinion on that, and and ideas on rigging it. Thanks ice sled

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re: ATV 4X4
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2004, 10:09 AM »
i have a rear seat on mine.as you can see this gives me a lot of storage,i plan on adding a windshield this year.good heavy lug tires are invaluable everywhere exept glare ice ,i would suggest studs for glare ice.not a lot just a few each tire goes a long ways.

cid

« Reply #2 on: Oct 31, 2004, 03:01 PM »
unless you get alot of snow I use the trailer I haul the 4 wheeler with to then haul my stuff out with. Works very good.
Havent tried the studs, but a set of chains for the rear will get you through anything. Advise against chains on front

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #3 on: Oct 31, 2004, 05:50 PM »
Icesled
I bought a Polaris in 2001 and have had more fun with it. instead of fishing one spot close by  the ramp or dragging a sled for miles you can fish anywere. The first thing  I bought was chains I put them on once didn't like the ride went to 1/2 inch studs fantastic but a little tuff on the trailer, loading ,spinning tires are like a chainsaw.                 Then Cabelas ATV drop basket rack
                   Shappell 3000
                   Mr. Heater
  And your good to go and go-------------------------------

stinky

« Reply #4 on: Oct 31, 2004, 06:16 PM »
 A trunk like billitrite has is a good idea you can carry extra gloves gas bottles poles whatever. A rack for carrying your auger such as the Ryans rack is a good idea also. The studs or chains help but I have never had to use them myself.
 I built a shelf that comes off that hooks on the rear rack for carrying my portable shack a fish trap pro this way you don't have to drag your shack.
If you do like what was mentioined about pulling the trailer behind with your gear that works great but find some old water skies and build a box the trailer tires fit in lift one side of the trailer at a time and put the tires in the box or what you build and it will pull easier and not bounce everything around as much.
 A winch is very handy i went in by shore once and used the winch to a tree to get out (wasn't deep but the rocks there were all ice )
 I even built pontoons that I can put on or take off when its first ice and 5or6" and I can use the quad I put the pontoons on for safety and I fish some lakes in WI that require flotation not all but a couple.
 Good luck have fun but make sure it is safe where you ride.
Bob

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2004, 06:12 AM »
I've got a box on the back like buildit's, doubles as a passenger seat. Also a windshield and heated grips and thumb warmer (very nice to have in winter). I've always got rear tire chains with me in case I need them but I don't like to leave them on when I don't. On glare ice it is very hard to steer unless you've got a few studs in the front tires. I've been using an old gun rack to hold the auger but this year I'm going to spring for one specially made for the auger. That's it, no trailer, I get everything I need on the atv.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.