Author Topic: Saturday trip to Kathy Lake  (Read 4581 times)

Offline pgfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pg fishin
Saturday trip to Kathy Lake
« on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:35 PM »
Thanks to everyone on here for the help and directions. Once you get to the end of Murch Lake road you jsut follow the tracks and it was alot easier then i thought. Due to the lack of snow lately it was a breeze getting to the park boundary on my quad. The fishing was not as good as i was hoping with only 3 small brookies in 3 hours but i forgot worms and they didn't seem to excited about shrimp. Fisheries was there as well doing surveys on anglers on the lake and she told me that Byers lake has the biggest fish in the park then bow then camp then kathy. I guess they think they have put a few to many fish in kathy lately and there is to much competition for food. But i think i know where me and my snow shoes are going to be exploring for the next few years.
[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

[/img]

Offline pgfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pg fishin
Re: Saturday trip to Kathy Lake
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:36 PM »
They changed the set up how do i post pictures now? I used the link for forums from photobucket

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:29 PM »
They changed the set up how do i post pictures now? I used the link for forums from photobucket

Here ya go.    ;)2

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2010, 12:12 AM »
i havent hiked in there in a while. one day id like to try the other lakes in the park, youd think thered be some bigger brookies somewheres... use to fish camp every winter at least once, but seem to be gettin lazier!!!
looked like a nice day to be out fishin tho!!
Good pix!!!
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2010, 12:15 AM »
Great pics pgfishing. Glad you found it. I've tried Byers a few times over the years. The place reeks of skunk....at least it did 4 years ago when I was last there. I did land a few nice ones on my Marmish there but there were very few fish seen on my flasher.

Offline pgfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pg fishin
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2010, 12:41 AM »
Ya the fisheries lady said its hit or miss but if you want to catch 5 pound brookies its the place to be! im thinking next year first ice thats where im setting up camp! im going back tomorrow try a few more spots on Kathie and maybe jump over to Bow. We just fished off the closest south eastern point of the island on kathie not sure what other spots i should try there wasn't to many people out there to hole poach.

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Ya the fisheries lady said its hit or miss but if you want to catch 5 pound brookies its the place to be! im thinking next year first ice thats where im setting up camp! im going back tomorrow try a few more spots on Kathie and maybe jump over to Bow. We just fished off the closest south eastern point of the island on kathie not sure what other spots i should try there wasn't to many people out there to hole poach.

Only a few fish at Kathy???  You should be slaying them .... never had a slow day there ever.

Interesting comments regarding Byers and as TGF says - hit and miss ....... 5 lb brookies?  Maybe 6-10 years ago before people 'found out about it'.    

Case in point - Kathy used to have 10 lb rainbows in the late 80's, early 90's too but not anymore.  :-\   I'll never forget the 8 lb rainbow caught by the fellow in the float tube beside me on his first cast of the day when we were in there fishing a long time ago.

Offline pgfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pg fishin
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2010, 05:47 PM »
yeah i must have just missed the fish yesterday because I went out there with the old man today for 4 hours before the superbowl and we caught 24. The biggest fish was only about a 1.5 pound brookie next weekend im going to try byers and bow. out of the 27 fish weve caught in the last 2 days only 2 were rainbows

Offline pgfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pg fishin
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2010, 08:04 AM »
Going back out tomorrow to this winter wonder land of fish biting lakes! going to do a bit more hiking around and try and get into some bigger fish. Only day I can go out this weekend since my other winter sport OTL takes over the rest of the weekend.

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:03 PM »
rite  on- make sure to bring your camera- hopefully youll land a 5 pound football brookie!!!

Offline pgfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pg fishin
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Well back out we went today stopped in at kathie caught 10 each in a half hour and then wandered over to byers. We followed some other peoples tracks from probably tues or wed and their holes had blood all around them. Drilled some new holes and they instantly filled up with huge shrimp at least a quarter inch. Having no shrimp we tried worms and power bait for an hour and not a sniff and you couldnt see down the hole the water was really murchy. So we decided to head back to our holes on Kathie and instant madness. 7 fish in 3 minutes out of one hole!!! on total we caught 42 fish in about 2 1/2 hours of fishing on Kathie. watching down the hole the fish were fighting over the bait i was pulling it away from the small ones and letting the bigger ones bite. Saw a couple of really big ones that took runs at my hook and then last second would shy away from it i just couldn't get them to bite. They were in such a frenzy down there that they were biting my split shot! I'll try again at the picture thing havent quite figured it out yet.

Offline Bill Dance

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Remember, always keep both hands on your rod!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Nice looking fish! ;D

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2010, 09:45 PM »
rite on, good pix!!
hmmm. blood around hole- lots of shrimp- wonder if it was a 5 pounder. ;) ;)
 kathy could prolly use some of them shrimp to fatten up the fish.. Sounds like you guys had a blast catchin lots!!!
Cheers!

Offline Kstar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2010, 11:53 PM »
Have heard a few good things about Camp Lake, I agree with Ianwuzhere- a hike thru the park would be right on!  Great pics guys, glad to see and hear you had a great day ;D
Casting flies, telling lies ;)

Offline salmoncandy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 12, 2010, 11:54 PM »
Your lab sure does look interested in the munchies..lol

Offline pgfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pg fishin
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2010, 01:11 AM »
HaHa yeah he loves hunting and fishing as much as anyone as soon as i grab the ice fishing bag or a gun he starts whining knowing were going to do something fun. But he doesn't bite fish like birds he just tries to lick the snow and slim off. Next weekend I'll be in byers right at sun up with a bag of shrimp looking for a football!!!

Offline dev03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2010, 01:24 AM »
Sounds like a good day....hope we have a similar trip there tomorrow!

Offline fishful thoughts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Mar 18, 2010, 02:28 PM »
has anyone been into kathy,camp or bow lakes recently......and where would i find a map on that area..never been there but though saturday might be a nice day for a hike......would appreciate any input on these lakes...thanks

Offline salmoncandy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Mar 18, 2010, 11:59 PM »
we heard the other day a couple guys got stranded coming back from Kathie lake. Any one we know..

Offline fishful thoughts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Mar 19, 2010, 12:15 AM »
we heard the other day a couple guys got stranded coming back from Kathie lake. Any one we know..
so what caused then to get stranded and is there anything else you can tell me about it....oh and by the way salmoncandy...great video's..really enjoyed watching them

Offline salmoncandy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Mar 19, 2010, 12:33 AM »
Many thanks on the kudos. Have you joined my face book fan page yet. Im giving away fishin stuff all the time. pm me and ill let you know where it is.
 All I know about the guys was they ran out of time walkin back and it got dark so they made fire and ate fish untill they were found later that night. Luck as we should always be doing. Told someone where they were and when they will be getting back.
I have a map on the wall in my fishing room. I put a push pin on the lake to where i am going just in case the wife gave me a uh huh and didnt hear me. I post a not of special instructions if it is a special way to get some where.
SC

Offline pgfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • pg fishin
« Reply #21 on: Mar 19, 2010, 05:52 PM »
The ice is getting pretty warm around the edges and open water is showing up its time to start being really careful so i would be looking at heading places that you are familier with then venturing back in eskers park for the first time Byers lake has 10 feet of open water before the ice starts off the trail

Offline fishful thoughts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Mar 19, 2010, 06:23 PM »
ok thanks for the information ..guess we waited to long to give it a try...maybe time to head a little futher north then....possible square(formerly squaw ) lake ....

Offline British Columbia

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Mar 19, 2010, 06:58 PM »

It is not too late.  The ice was phenomenal last weekend and it will be this weekend as well.  When PGfishin refers to the ice at Byers having open water, he would have had to traverse across kathy to get there.  Its a spring at the end of Byers ... the rest is  fine.

I predict a couple more weeks given the cold nights still dipping below zero for ice fishing in Eskers.

You have to watch the trails having ice on them more than the lake ice itself right now. 

Offline fishful thoughts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Mar 19, 2010, 09:24 PM »
once again thanks for the info.....has any one been there recently and what lake might be best to fish ,camp or kathy and where could i find a map showing  the trail in (not having any luck looking on the net).....

Offline holmes76

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • from P.G. in B.C.
« Reply #25 on: Mar 19, 2010, 10:37 PM »
i havent been there lately but about halfway down on this page
http://env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explore/parkpgs/eskers/
there is a map.  good luck if you go.  :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.