Author Topic: Floats used for crappie  (Read 1810 times)

Offline mich-fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bucket is half full
Floats used for crappie
« on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:36 AM »
  I've tried the slip bobber with the bow-tie type stop but do not like the stress on the line when moving depths. Do you use slip type floats or clip ons? Maybe I twisted the line one too many wraps around the stop, have also seen the red "knot" type stops are these better? I only use floats with minnows, love to see it slowly sink    fish-on.    thanks for the help
IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammichigan.gif[/img][IMG]

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: Floats used for crappie
« Reply #1 on: Feb 06, 2010, 11:50 AM »
I mostly use the string knots.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:42 PM »
use the pre-tied slip knots for slip bobber fishing, they dont damage your line.   ive tried the rubber ones, but with 2# or lighter line, they slipp too easily when reeled into the guides.   with the pre-tied ones, i dont have that problem as i can tighten then up enough that the can be reeled thru the guides without slipping and losing my depth.
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline mich-fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bucket is half full
« Reply #3 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:29 PM »
  Thanks for the help, I'll grab a couple of those and try it tomorrow. good luck and stay safe.
IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammichigan.gif[/img][IMG]

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2010, 12:08 AM »
Although you may not need to use a bead...I find that using a big bead helps prevent the slip bobber from plugging into the rod tip.  I use a 10mm bead.  It's big enough to not slide through the rod tip and down to the reel.  Looks kind of funny but works really well.  If I ever have to change lures and I should drop the bead, it's big enought to be easily found and picked up from the snowy floor.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:03 PM »
I found some at Dicks that come with small rubber stops. Cant remember the brand but the first time ever seeing them. The rubber stop comes with a piece of wire running through it to pull your line through. you dont even notice it as it goes through your guides or reel when bringing it in. Maybe someone else can help with the name of them.

Balsa floats?

Offline mich-fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • bucket is half full
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2010, 02:39 PM »
Appreciate all the ideas/help. All I need now is a little free time. Good luck to all of you.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:48 PM »
go to your dentist....use dental bands....loop around line, pull tight, snip of excess loop....work great....
It's all about Karma.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.