Author Topic: Jack Traps vs. Nor'easters???  (Read 2377 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Jack Traps vs. Nor'easters???
« on: Oct 20, 2004, 03:01 PM »
Unfortunately in some respects, there's a lot of snow where I live which can make ice fishing challenging at times.  One of these challenges is being able to see your tip-ups, either day or night, when you're up to your knees or thereabouts in snow, especially if you have Polars like I currently do.   

Anywho, I'm thinking of transitioning over to some of these higher end, taller, cross member tip-ups this year and wanted to see what others here thought of the Jack Traps vs. Nor'easter decision.  I would have included Heritage Lakers but it sounds like most aren't happy with their decision to make plastic/resign vs. metal reels so I eliminated them from consideration.  Absent the angle and placement of the trip rod and its sheath, about the only real difference I can see between the JTs and NEs is JT's flag is a thin blade of spring steel while the NE's have a rigid steel rod with a spring at it's base.  The drag/tension control on the NE looks like it might be easier to work with too, especially if your hands get a little cold, but there doesn't appear much more than these things. 

FWIW, it's not like I need to have a whole quiver of tip-ups given our allowable line rules in MI so this isn't something I'm going to stew over at all but any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated. 
Chris Raymond

stinky

Re: Jack Traps vs. Nor'easters???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2004, 03:14 PM »
 Why not try the electronic tip ups that send you the message that you have a fish on. There are many types or just add taller flags. Have fun at any rate.  FLAG!
 Bob

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2004, 03:30 PM »
Bob--Okay, I like gadgets...but not that much.  ;-)  Seriously though, I still need to find them when the flag hasn't popped to clean holes, check bait, etc. not to mention I had one run over by a snow machine last year (not his fault, he couldn't see it either). 
Chris Raymond

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2004, 03:36 PM »
I just use a stick to mark them.

Bob--Okay, I like gadgets...but not that much.  ;-)  Seriously though, I still need to find them when the flag hasn't popped to clean holes, check bait, etc. not to mention I had one run over by a snow machine last year (not his fault, he couldn't see it either). 
What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2004, 05:54 PM »
I just use a stick to mark them.

IS--Very correct but that's just one more thing to have to carry out on the ice.  I'd rather just have a tip-up that can be more easily seen and kill both of those birds with one stone if you will.  Have you used either of these two rigs; and if so, what are your thoughts on them?

Chris Raymond

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #5 on: Oct 20, 2004, 06:07 PM »
No I haven't Chris, can't buy either in my area. I am sure someone on the board has used them and will chime in. I hear you about the extra stuff to bring along, for night fishing I use some sticks with reflective tape on them for the snowmobile 4 wheeler problem otherwise in a pinch I borrow some dead sticks or cattails from the shoreline for markers.    :)

-Scott

IS--Very correct but that's just one more thing to have to carry out on the ice.  I'd rather just have a tip-up that can be more easily seen and kill both of those birds with one stone if you will.  Have you used either of these two rigs; and if so, what are your thoughts on them?

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
« Reply #6 on: Oct 20, 2004, 08:20 PM »
I haven't seen the Nor'easters, but one of the guys in our crew bought some Jack Trap "Big Bobs" last year. There is usually a lot of snow in northern Maine where we fish and man, you could see them things from a mile away. The flags are big and when they are up, they are probably 4'-0" above the ice.  :tipup: They are a little pricey but very well made. The Big Bobs are a little too bulky for me but Jack Traps has other styles that are closer to the Heritage size. The bigest complaint that I have about any brand is that the flags are too small. I like to spread my tip-ups out and sometimes the falgs are hard to see even with binockulars.

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #7 on: Oct 20, 2004, 10:15 PM »
i got my HT's a couple years ago... forget the name of them but they are 44 inches and i added a bigger flag for visibility!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2004, 04:30 AM »
using a dark color felt for your flag will allow you to put them ouyt farther as it will show up against a snowy background better than orange

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2004, 04:24 AM »
Jack traps are a little tricky to reset as there is a small eye ring attached to the end of the spring steel flag arm.  It must be hooked to the shaft which is turned by the reel's movement, but a small, notched piece of metal protudes out over this, and makes the job with gloves on a little harder.  Even bare handed it is hard because half of the time when I am resetting it I just caught a fish, rebaited, etc. and my fingers are hurtin'.  When making my rounds to clear the frozen holes, check bait status, or change depths of baits I like to be able to pick the trap up, gently set it aside without tripping it, do my thing and set it back in the hole. I can do this with my Heritage Lakers even to the point of winding line on or off the reel from the side without turning the spool. The jack traps trip easily when I do this and have to be reset.  I am always messin' with my traps, so this means a lot of inconvenience for me.  The JT's are beautiful, mechanically sound, and compact when folded up.  Still, 30 bucks is not necessary for me, especially with the aforementioned inconvenience.  I have not used Northeasters, but will check them out after this post, as I need a couple new traps and am also comparing brands. Just try ONE jack trap for a few outings first.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2004, 04:27 AM »
i find myself in the same boat...i need to replace some older traps and dont like the new plastic spools on the heritage so im gonna keep the spools from the older ones...

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2004, 07:21 AM »
Just try ONE jack trap for a few outings first.
PoorBoy--Thanks for the heads up on trippiness.  I'm probably going to get one of each and see which I like better I guess...it's not like I need a whole quiver of them anyway, we're only allowed two lines here in MI and that's inclusive of tip-ups.  Wish we had the line allowance that some of you do, putting out a string of five tip-ups would be a lot more fun.     
Chris Raymond

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Oct 31, 2004, 07:52 AM »
The trippiness I refer to comes from my own handling of them, by the way, not bait movement or wind.  As far as nuisance trips on the JT's I rate them A+.  Never a wind flag...the same eye loop arrangement that is a hassle to reset assures that this is a wind-tip free trap. If I wasn't fishing with 4 or 5 traps most of the time I wouldn't worry about it.  We (in Maine) have a fair amount of 2 line limit waters, But usually if I am alone I avoid them, as part of the fun for me is drilling lots of holes and "trolling" around with my traps. The avatar that I see on this site with the dozens of holes drilled made me laugh, reminded me of myself.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 31, 2004, 07:53 AM »
Have you checked out the new Frabill bigfoots.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 31, 2004, 08:04 AM »
I saw the reference to those on this site last nite and went to the site...also saw the catalog site someone posted here and I think they are 18-19 bucks.  They are like a Polar in the mechanical setup, one that I love, but despite the extra length of the flag they might still be susceptible to blowing, drifting snow.  I am real interested in them, however, because we sometimes have no snow on the ice for weeks.  Which, by the way, means I need some good creepers for my size 13 boots someday.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #15 on: Oct 31, 2004, 11:45 AM »
The trippiness I refer to comes from my own handling of them, by the way, not bait movement or wind.

Nope, I understood what you meant.  Thanks for re-clarifying. 
Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.