Author Topic: Mr. Heater fix  (Read 1607 times)

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
Mr. Heater fix
« on: Oct 19, 2004, 02:38 PM »
Hey guys,  just purchased the Portable Buddy Heater (Mr. Heater) for my new Ice Shanty and I heard stories that  the pilot light does go out when exposed to a draft,  like when u open the shanty.  I was wandering if anyone has come up with a fix for it,  like a piece of metal to cover it up  or a shield to protect it from the wind.  I figure I'll start tinkering with it right now,  before the hard water seaons starts.  Any info would be appreciated,    Thanks,                               JaW

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
Re: Mr. Heater fix
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2004, 02:52 PM »
I know some guys have played around with a little piece of tin formed onto the cage around the pilot.  I meant to do it, but haven't.  thanks for the reminder - I'm going to play around with it tonight!

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2004, 05:29 PM »
I would not want to re-invent the wheel here,  probably someone already came up with a solution for it on this forum.  I'm sure  there is a non factory 'fix' for this  ;D

lite fish

« Reply #3 on: Oct 20, 2004, 03:12 PM »
Did this last year Build a little three sided house just to go around the pilot.cut mine out of a little piece of flashing. Don't make it to big attach with 1/4 inch sheet metal screw in metal housings  be careful your pilot gas and igniter are all located below and under the pilot and you don't want the metal to touch the ceramic. about 3/4 inch's of clearance around the pilot  if you make it to big the heater could over heat from reflection , cut it out of paper about the size of a post card ,when you get it right including the tail to attach it use the paper for a template looks like a crusader cross before you fold it.  Some people use a tee pattern so they do not have a roof over the pilot  other wise you can not tell if the pilot is lit. If  I make another one I believe I would drill a !/4 in hole in the fold that would form the roof. ANY TIME YOU MODIFY A HEATING UNIT LIKE THIS YOU SHOULD TEST IT FOR SAFETY out doors on a non combustable  place set mine on Cookie sheet on the picnic table.Wasted a bottle of gas maybe as my first ideal was much larger almost melted the housing .    Neal

Offline JigAwhopper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • addicted to ICE
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2004, 11:49 AM »
Thanks lite fish,  I'll try modify it this w/e with stainless steel sheet metal i have laying around.  I hope I don't fry my self in the process   :P.  Later,                                             J

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.