Author Topic: Looking for Help on a Fish Study (Update)  (Read 2385 times)

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
Looking for Help on a Fish Study (Update)
« on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:19 PM »
I'm in the process of setting up a lab experiment testing the intensity of infection of Necator spp.(black spot disease) on bluegill,perch, and pumpkinseeds at various age and developmental levels. I've already talked to friends but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask on here. I'm looking for donations of thesethat contain the parasite. They need to be whole because I have to count the parasites and age the fish via scale samples (in theory). If anyone in the Marquette area could spare a few infected bluegills (any size) in the name of science let me know! I'm willing to pick them up at a time that is convenient for you, thanks!
Some pictures of what the parasite looks like courtesy of the Minnesota DNR

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for Help on a Fish Study
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:22 PM »
What are you studying at NMU, what class is it for?  I was at Tech for a few years and was almost changed my concentration to Fish Biology.  Very interesting field, especially for the fisherman!

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:29 PM »
I'm majoring in Biology(Ecology emphasis) with a minor in Environmental Conservation and hope to eventually work as a fisheries biologist (but with the way the market looks any payed position will work). The class itself is parasitology and is pretty interesting stuff. Most students in the class are going a veterinary route but I'd like to incorporate as much fish biology as possible.

Offline bigkerrdogg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Browning,
Will you still be able to conduct your study on whole fish that are frozen?  Any specific size?  I think I will be going to Harlow on Sunday, and I know that the gills in there are infected. 

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:39 PM »
Browning,
Will you still be able to conduct your study on whole fish that are frozen?  Any specific size?  I think I will be going to Harlow on Sunday, and I know that the gills in there are infected. 
Any size would be good (even really small) and frozen is just fine. I was actually thinking of fishing out there myself, I know I've caught gills there in the past that were covered with the spots.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2010, 03:46 PM »
are you just lookin for gills cause i know the perch in my area have more of them spots that carter's got pills

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:54 PM »
are you just lookin for gills cause i know the perch in my area have more of them spots that carter's got pills
Yea I'll take anything. I'm still deciding if I going to compare different species of fish, or fish of the same species.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:22 PM »
I'm acutally leaning towards comparing different species now so perch, pike, and bluegill are all fair game!

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Ok man if i get one with them nasty little spots i'll send it your way instead of back down the hole i don't eat them black-dot fish

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:17 AM »
fry em up...extra protein!     actually i know a guy that doesnt care if the fish are full of them  he will eat them

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:09 PM »
keep up the studies on this sounds very intersting  and letus know what you find out

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Post what you find... I will mark this thread. Thanks in Advance!
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Yep, the black ones save ya from using pepper. The white wiggling ones are the ones you don't want to eat.

Bon Apetite

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2010, 04:27 PM »
I Caught this perch today.

Even though i live in New Hampshire i was thinking of this thread i found last night of perch the guy wanted with spots. We have lots of ponds around here that have fish with spots in them. Perch and Bass. The parasite is harmless to eat says a NH Fish Biologist. But looking at them makes you wonder?

Here is smaller perch that has the spots visable from the outside. I have only seen this maybe a dozen times on the outside of the fish in my life. I do know that some of the perch from these ponds have them on their inside's.

Good luck in your gathering of information on the parasite.

I have been to the UP a couple of time before. Back in 2005 and just this past September i was there again. Visiting a (Maple Sugaring) buddy that lives in Gwinn, MI. And then Another (Snowmobile/Hunting) buddy in Mosinee, Wis. and back home. Good 2700 mile trip on the V-Rod...

Kevin

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:00 PM »
Hmmm... I've eaten quite a few of them black spots and yellow grubs (although I try to pick the yellow grubs out if I can). I've gotta say, though, that a writhing mass of round worms in the gut cavity of a salmon or pike is probably the most disgusting that I've seen around the UP. Those can infect humans if it's not cooked fully too. Looking forward to seeing the results of this.

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2010, 11:06 AM »
Well the bluegills around here have those spots, I'm in Iron Mountain. 
I can get you some from here if you want to go that far...

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:52 PM »
Aprecciate the respones guys! I'd prefer to pick up fish within the marquette area if possible. I've been collecting fish the last few weeks but I am still looking for any amount of donations of any size fish. So far I have quite a few bluegills and some perch but I can always use more! I've adjusted the project slightly and am working with bluegill, pumpkinseed, and perch. I'll be starting work on the fish next week and it will continue for a few weeks after that. If you happen catch some fish freezing them whole is all you need to you. I can be contaced through a pm and we can figure out the details.
Thanks, Joe

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Mar 10, 2010, 10:57 PM »
I Caught this perch today.

Even though i live in New Hampshire i was thinking of this thread i found last night of perch the guy wanted with spots. We have lots of ponds around here that have fish with spots in them. Perch and Bass. The parasite is harmless to eat says a NH Fish Biologist. But looking at them makes you wonder?

Here is smaller perch that has the spots visable from the outside. I have only seen this maybe a dozen times on the outside of the fish in my life. I do know that some of the perch from these ponds have them on their inside's.

Good luck in your gathering of information on the parasite.

I have been to the UP a couple of time before. Back in 2005 and just this past September i was there again. Visiting a (Maple Sugaring) buddy that lives in Gwinn, MI. And then Another (Snowmobile/Hunting) buddy in Mosinee, Wis. and back home. Good 2700 mile trip on the V-Rod...

Kevin

(Image removed from quote.)
That fish is exatcly what I'm looking for! too bad you live in NH

Offline iceman10

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for Help on a Fish Study (Update)
« Reply #18 on: Mar 11, 2010, 06:07 PM »
I have been reading this thread & can tell you that i have caught fish with spots on the outside like Wild Turks fish that don t have  any spots in the meat of the fillet.Don t know if this has any truth or not ,but was told by a local that the spots are caused by extreme temp changes & that one year the fish could have the spots & a few years later not have any ???.Let us know how your study turns out .

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.