Author Topic: Helping new ice fisher folks vs. scammers  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
Helping new ice fisher folks vs. scammers
« on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:29 PM »
I consider myself moderately skilled at ice fishing, been doing it for quite a while, but still have a lot to learn.  I try to ask intelligent questions to get better at what I am doing in specific situations, and offer advise when I think I have something to add that is pertinent to the question.  Every once in a while I get off track, just like anyone else... ::)

That all being said, since some of the veterans on here have verbalized their willingness to help out folks new to the sport, I have seen an unnaturally large amount of new posters asking for little more than 'where did you catch those at' followed closely with 'what did you use' and 'do you have directions from the boat ramp?'

A lot of these new folks have less than 10 posts.  Although I have relatively few posts, I have been a reader of IS for over a year, so  I am not new to the forum, and recognize the names of consistent contributors.

Personally, my BS meter is off the chart.  I'm not against helping a new guy out, but is there anyone else out there agrees?

How 'bout asking something intelligent like, 'I have been fishing in a shallow water basin approximately 100 acres in size with no structure with a maximum depth of 10' with no luck.  I have spoken with the local game agency and also checked their survey and stocking reports, so I know there are some keeper crappies in there, but I can't find them.  What do you guys suggest?'

At least you have put in your homework, and time on the ice, and someone in a similar situation might have some tips.

Or is it just as rewarding to log on with a new user name and ask, 'Where, what and when did you catch them?'

Perhaps the icefishing community really is growing this fast and I am just getting old.  I am going to go have a beer and re-spool one of my rigs.
...................... ...................... .

That's it, I am taking Friday off and going fishing.....I need some mental health time.... ;D

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Helping new ice fisher folks vs. scammers
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:36 PM »
I have absolutely no problem what so ever telling someone the exact spot where I was fishing. Then again maybe I am just telling a fish story  ::)  ???  ::)  I agree advice is one thing asking for someones hot spot is another.  ;D

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:46 PM »
I agree. Everyone has a different way to fish, and learning new tactics and then tweaking them is the best way to beat "off days". Would you rather be given a barrel of fish to catch? Or taught how to catch them anywhere?

(Archives and old posts are another good resource)  :tipup:
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:56 PM »
  I agree advice is one thing asking for someones hot spot is another.  ;D

if its someone I know and have spoken with/chatted with before, I don't have a problem helping....just go to the areas where you see a lot of 10" holes drilled, and drill next to them..the fish are there..... ;)

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:27 AM »
Let's all remember it is called fishing not catching ,I can take you to a spot that usually produces for me ,show my lure choice ,etc. yet there is no guarantee you will catch fish. I have had great days go out a day or week later same location and set up and come home skunked.
  I do agree though you have to put your time in and get to know what works generally for each species of fish or bodies of water with similar structure and features. Even then you will have your bad days. As an example think of any fishing show on television they shoot many days of film footage then edit down to make one half hour/hour show.
 Steve

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:47 AM »
Your "secret" spot may be my "secret" spot...and that of others too, but I ain't telling the world about it. Those of us who have found such a spot had to work at finding it and learning how to make it produce. I might post how and when, but ain't gonna just blab about the exact spot.

Sure I'll direct a noob, make a general post about an area, give tips on baits and presentations, but to spot burn isn't the thing to do.

There's a difference between teaching/helping and enabling.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Bullelk34

« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:02 AM »
Where are you going Friday? What kind of beer are you having? Do you have one for me? :)

I hear you- there is alot of that going on, I usually help until it becomes blatantly obvoius, then I just quit responding.

Offline stoph

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:05 AM »
I've only been in north america for 3 yrs now, i fish as much as i can, much more than most of my friends. Ice fishing was a totally new concept for me, i've found a few sites have been sooooo helpfull in helping me out. I've got some smarts so i don't need to be told exactly what to do or where to go. I don't want to be told, go to lake x at time y and fish spot z with lure *, wheres the fun in that? might as just go to the store for fillets. half the 'fun' for me is catching fish of my own back. Yes i'll ask questions, but i don't expect honey holes to be given up, just general info works for me, i.e theres a good head of large pike in lake x, thats all the info i really need or want, i can take it from there.
 I like the fact that you can find people here to actually go fishing with (and they won't oversleep, like ALL my non hardcore fish head buds do!)
 As a side note, you don't have to read or reply to 'annoying' posts you know! if someone is asking something and its obvious they're too lazy to research on thier own, then just don't respond, a couple unanswered posts read by 100+ people should get the message across.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:22 AM »
I don't have any secret spots...I can tell you the name of the lake...it's usually the biggest one in the county.  No secret...you'll see it on the map.  You'll find it on the DNR map site.  There's usually a village out there and you can't miss it.

I'll tell you my hot lures...it's no secret lure...I throw everything at them and a lot of times, it's more technique than lure.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:38 AM »
Its a sign of todays society, people want bigger fish, more fish, and find the best spots faster.   Thats why when you post a big fish, you get inudated with where did you get that, what did you use, how deep, by what island, etc.... I'll give a lake and a general area to fish and advice on what to use but not my honey holes. those took me years to find.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline kiltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh-yeah....Uh-hunh!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:21 PM »
I agree with Slipperybob and adkRoy.
I don't mind helping someone out but I'd like some consideration in return.
Lakes are usually pretty big and have many different places a species to fish. No one speaks of "triangulation" anymore because we now have GPS's.
Time on the ice/water is your best teacher. Don't be afraid to try something new!
my 2 cents
good luck
The reason we're all here is 'cause we ain't all there!
GD

Offline perch28

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:29 PM »
seems like someone was having a bad day i have been on this site for a long time and just joined dosent mean i just started ice fishing a week ago.i learned by research and going out and doing it . now days things are handed to people i understand the great info you can get from this site but also a great place to unwind i believe

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Some people develop "Ice hole" syndrome after too much time out

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2010, 09:22 PM »
  I have one fishing buddy that I usually go with. On any given day one of us out fish's the other. We always tell each other what we are using for hook, what depth, presentation, bait, everything! Sometimes it is just dumb luck or how much your hand shakes to give that hook a wiggle. That day one will out catch the other at least 2 to 1. I also have fished 5 ft over on that particular day and have caught nothing I guess just something at the bottom of the lake that the fish like in that exact spot. So I don't have a problem giving out all my knowledge of the lake and where I caught within 300 yards of my hole as I know they will probably not catch all the fish in the lake. Also from one day to the next is differant, today catch, tomorrow not a bite, the fish have moved. Between us we have about 60 years of a lot of fishing experience. So I give good advise and no problem giving it, I will tell you what lake, which side of lake and how far down but will not tell you exactly where, as in "right in front of red building 100 ft out".
  I don't know why so many people are so paranoid. This site is a good site and is meant for fellow fisherman/women to help each other and praise each other for there efforts and accomplishments.

Just my 2 cents
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:43 PM »
Yep, it does seem kind of paranoid...but sometimes when the fish are biting slow...and you get lots of ice activity all morning long of people moving in and drilling holes all around you...it gets to you when you can't concentrate on fishing or have to worry about who's going to do some quick theiving of your stuff sitting outside and run off.  Even when people are just speeding around your shack like they've an emergency to get to. 

Not all people enjoy ice fishing in the same manner.  Some people just want some peace and solitude.  Others like the big social get togethers.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:06 PM »
Not all people enjoy ice fishing in the same manner.  Some people just want some peace and solitude.  Others like the big social get togethers.

Very good point, and one that I will try to keep in mind.

And just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.... ;)  ;D

Offline redruff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2010, 10:56 PM »
I mentioned on another forum I was doing really well on a particular lake....
I was the only fish house for a long way! The next day.....got moved in on.....

"Catching fish?"
Yep
"Where?"
"Local area lake!"

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2010, 11:02 PM »
This seems to be a common theme on iceshanty lately. I understand about the "newbies" asking those types of questions can be a bit off putting. We can all use a bit of tolerance when dealing with each other.

I will say this; just because you have a keyboard in front of you, doesn't mean you have to use it.

Mike
I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 07, 2010, 01:43 AM »
Those folks are LURKERS they go from site to site trying to get free info. Most people on this site, will meet ya if local, and show ya a decent spot. Once they meet ya and a friendship begins then the GREAT spots will be disclosed. So avoid the lurkers they are everywhere to catch them just ask them to meet you at a local pond that is fair for fishing then decide if they are friends or foe lol :P

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2010, 04:14 AM »
These threads make me laugh.
"Lurkers" go from site to site and steal all your good spots and info eh? You post it on the Internet and complain because someone read it? You expect to be paid for it somehow? You expect something in return?

This site is for the exchange of ice fishing information. I think everyone who comes here is looking for that. If you have some secrets....don't post them! If you want to help foster our ice fishing traditions, pass on some help to those asking the "same old" questions.

If you've become tired of those questions and feel all your "secrets" are being stolen by the dreaded "Lurkers".....find another site.

Otherwise, hang out and have some fun.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2010, 05:55 AM »
These threads make me laugh.
"Lurkers" go from site to site and steal all your good spots and info eh? You post it on the Internet and complain because someone read it? You expect to be paid for it somehow? You expect something in return?

This site is for the exchange of ice fishing information. I think everyone who comes here is looking for that. If you have some secrets....don't post them! If you want to help foster our ice fishing traditions, pass on some help to those asking the "same old" questions.

If you've become tired of those questions and feel all your "secrets" are being stolen by the dreaded "Lurkers".....find another site.

RG

kinda of what I was just thinking as I read this post, why are any of us on a fishing information site??? ??? I dont usaully catch giant numbers of fish but enough to keep me fat and sassy, lol. I come here to learn and find out where fish are biting, but you know fisherman they generally tell you where they are catching fish ;) ;D :o

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2010, 07:39 AM »
I really don't expect anyone to give up a honeyhole.  Just suggestions on what bait or lure & color  is working and depth. I'll find the fish.
Bob P.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2010, 09:09 AM »
Who Cares?

A honey hole yesterday might be a hole in the water tomorrow. I came here years ago looking for some local info and I got exactly what I paid for. Since then I continue to come here and when ever anyone asks the questions in a respectable manner I am happy to add my 2 cents.

The fish don't know it is 2010 and the only real difference between now and the early 1960s when I began ice fishing is the equipment. Fish still hit for the same reasons as before, they are hungry. Teaching others a few of our tricks is what it is all about and one of the best tricks we can teach is how to handle a good Skunking because they are sure to happen in fishing.

As another mentioned, I can type the answer here or take you out and let you see exactly what I do and how I do it and still get skunked.

I have gone from rickety old equipment to being an electronic fisherman with all the latest and greatest gadgets and back again to going as light as possible but being comfortable. The only thing I have truly found that makes a real difference in ice fishing is being there at the right time when the fish are feeding. There are no secret techniques that another won't give up and there are no secret spots unless you have direct contact with the fish gods.

Just go out and have fun trying all sorts of different things and most of all enjoy yourself.

I moved all the way to Lake Ontario to chase salmon. I set up a big boat with all the super high tech equipment and nearly broke the bank.
I caught plenty of nice fish but learned a better lesson. Fishing became a chore and I could no longer do it by myself. Today you might see me with my shanty and buddy heater and my dog just plodding along and hoping the fish will come for dinner.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline DeLiarDaRuler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2010, 01:42 PM »
 I just come here to brag when I catch a big one! Obviously, I don't post much... ???

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2010, 02:53 PM »
I just come here to brag when I catch a big one! Obviously, I don't post much... ???

Ah Baloney! You just like showing off the pretty faces of the ladies in your life! ;D

Gary

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:27 PM »
You know I have been Ice Fishing for over 35 years. It runs hot and cold. Anyone that tells you otherwise is a liar. Get out and fish. Unless you are doing it every day it's a tough deal. You have to be organized keep you r gear in top shape and hit spots that others frequent, and fish hard. I live in Upstate NY along Lake Ontario and have the Bays and Streams all around. I am also just 45 minutes from 4 awesome fishing Finger Lakes. Ponds are everyplace around. Everyone has a freaking pond. There is so much Ice Fishing I am besides myself for just where to go. When the bite is on were are a happy bunch.But it's slow all around. Read the reports from around NY. The fish are here, but there is no free lunch.  If you work hard around here you can catch fish. It just depends on what you might be looking for, and how hardy you can be. Fish as much as you can. Get out and do it. Fishing is like everything else, the more you do it the better you get.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Spoken like a true ice man Andy! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gary

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:30 AM »

RG

I was worried that with all the questions appearing on the Canadice Lake thread a crowd was going to be there Friday morning. I got 5-6 emails asking me when and where. I was pretty upfront in explaining when and where. I was there at the appointed time. I was the only one there. No one else that expressed and intrest showed up. No one that sent me an email saying I am gonna be there showed up. I had the North end of the Lake to myself as usual.  I met one guy who said he read a post I wrote and that was it. The other guy was about 1/2 mile away from me. I guess it's like everything else, lots of talk.

Offline birddog74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Feb 08, 2010, 10:05 AM »
OK Im the ultimate noob so Ill try to keep this short and sweet and not wear out my welcome before I am even welcomed.  First on the newbie thing, Im a newbie but Ive been doin this hard water thing since I was 5 yrs old.  So just because someone is new here doesnt mean they are new to the sport.  But I have seen my share of trollers and lurkers on other sites.  These are the people that are lookin to get all the info they can by letting someone else do all the work.  It seems to me that many people on this site will share in my opinion that these other people just looking to catch fish.  While the rest of us enoy the sport of fishing.  I spend many days a year on the water in both the solid and liquid state and many times do nothing more than wear out my arm or drown minnows.  But evey time I am out i learn something.  That something may not even be about fishing but something none the less.  If you enjoy the sport of fishing you dont care if you get the skunk every now and then and when you do catch fish it makes it all the better.  Nuff said on that. Great site here. I stumbled across it the other day and it seems like a good place to get some hot spots...........I mean uhhhhhh..........talk about fishing ........yeah thats it, talk about fishing. ;) 

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 08, 2010, 12:10 PM »
I was worried that with all the questions appearing on the Canadice Lake thread a crowd was going to be there Friday morning. I got 5-6 emails asking me when and where. I was pretty upfront in explaining when and where. I was there at the appointed time. I was the only one there. No one else that expressed and intrest showed up. No one that sent me an email saying I am gonna be there showed up. I had the North end of the Lake to myself as usual.  I met one guy who said he read a post I wrote and that was it. The other guy was about 1/2 mile away from me. I guess it's like everything else, lots of talk.

Saying it and actually doing it is a whole other ball-game!!!!I know alot of slackers that say they are all gung-ho to go hunting at dawn,until they have to drag themselves outta bed.... :o

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.