Author Topic: Hand Augers and Hard Thick Ice  (Read 6895 times)

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
Hand Augers and Hard Thick Ice
« on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:23 AM »
This year I got back into ice fishing so I had to buy a shack, rods, jigs, line, flasher ect. and all it left was was a few bucks for a auger so I got a strike master mora 8 in.  Early in the year it was no big deal since the ice was only about 10 inches thick, now we have about 20" and more in some places and it is HARD!!!!  I figured being a young in shape guy that a hand auger would be no problem even if the ice did get a little thicker than normal, wow I couldn't have been more wrong.  It has gotten to the point where now I almost dread going out by myself because I can only drill a hole or two before my arms feel like noodles for the next few hours, which sucks because I like to fish a few lakes that don't get much pressure but have great fish in it.  Some of the more popular lakes I can pop open old holes if I am lucky. 

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to making drilling through thick ice with a hand auger?

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Hand Augers and Hard Thick Ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:26 AM »
get cordless drill adapter and cordless drill

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:28 AM »
My friend has the same auger in a 6" and loves it. We drilled 20" of ice with it in less than 30 seconds. Sometimes that 2 inches makes a huge difference. He also said that you have to sharpen the blades after around 25 holes. Good luck.

Offline arcticcatz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:32 AM »
Pam cooking spray on the spiral part of the auger helps some. Not sure how much difference it will make on an 8 inch, but on my 6 inch my blades are just starting to dull and I don't have the $$ for new ones and the pam makes it a ton eaiser.

Offline jrp454

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:46 AM »
even with a 8" lazer it is still a pain

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2010, 10:57 AM »
First of you have to realive with an 8 inch auger through a foot of ice you are removing 602 cubic inches of ice for each hole(a six inche would only be 339 cubic inches) .  So no mater what it wont be easy but I used one for 3 years and awalys drilled at least 9 holes and it wasnt uncommon to drill 18-20 in a single outing and by the end of feburary that was through 30 inches of ice.  There are some people who say they get several years out of one set of blades  I would replace mine two or three times a year, when I would first notice they were dull I would replace them and when I did I would realize just how dull the old ones were.  You could also just remove the blades and run them over a steel make sure your last stroke is on the top side of the blade(yes that can be the diffrence between the auger just spinning on the ice and cutting like it has new blades.  Also when you get to ice that is more than 9-10 inches stop every once and awhile and clean the chips out of the hole other wise you are spinning all that extra weight for no reason.  When the ice gets thicker I drill one hole and set the tipup before moving on to the next one that way I can rest between holes.  One last thing that helps but will make you look like a moron to evryone else is to put your forehead over your top hand on the auger so you can put wight on it with you entire upper body insted of just using your arm to hold it down.  That last trick is very usefull when your blades are in need of replacment. And most importently look for a six inch auger at garage sales and auctions this summer, around here they can be found for 5 dollers then all you need is 10.00 for a new set of blades and you are good to go.

Offline hillmann

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2010, 11:01 AM »
I forgot to add that after you drill your first hole and then set it in the snow the wet snow may freese to the back of the blades if the weather is cold enough which will make the next holes much harder(don't clean the slush off with your hands, it is not worth it, just try to keep it from forming on the blade to begin with by setting the head of the auger in a slead instead of in the snow)

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2010, 11:06 AM »
 www.icegator.com  ;D

seriously though, one thing is if you're a shorter fellow make sure to have your handle attached as low as possible - the more weight you can get over top of the auger the better especially once the blades begin to dull.  also unless you're chasing huge lakers >30lbs i'd get rid of the 8" and go to a 5, 6, or 7" - you will notice a huge difference.  

also if there's 2 of you we like to get the tall guy holding the handle of the auger, and the shorter guy cranking.  again, may look goofy but you can crush holes this way.

make sure to quench your thirst between holes with an appropriate beverage as well  8)

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2010, 11:21 AM »
www.icegator.com  ;D

seriously though, one thing is if you're a shorter fellow make sure to have your handle attached as low as possible - the more weight you can get over top of the auger the better especially once the blades begin to dull.  also unless you're chasing huge lakers >30lbs i'd get rid of the 8" and go to a 5, 6, or 7" - you will notice a huge difference.  

also if there's 2 of you we like to get the tall guy holding the handle of the auger, and the shorter guy cranking.  again, may look goofy but you can crush holes this way.

make sure to quench your thirst between holes with an appropriate beverage as well  8)

This will most defiantly be the last year that I run a hand auger.  I won't get to fish next season but the following season I will have a gas auger.

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2010, 11:24 AM »
I have the same auger and the same issues. That damned thing just wears me out. I keep goin back though, no plans to replace it. I just take breaks between holes. Luckily the type of fishing I do doesn't require allot of hole hopping
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline Papawsmith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2010, 11:29 AM »
I'm with the others as far as try to find a 6", huuuuge difference. I would save the 8" though and make your next investment an Ice Gator. The 8" auger will hook nicely to that 24v motor. I just bought one this year, it's my first power auger at all, and now that I have one I believe that if I were just starting out at ice fishing and funds were limited I would purchase a power auger before a large shanty.
On your hand auger I also agree with jrp454, keep those freakin blades sharp. The blades are double ground and if you are not familiar with sharpening these types of irons have someone do it for you. A dull blade or even just one nick or chunker will change everything. If you buy new blades for your Mora be sure to buy Swedish blades and not blades from China. That is also a major difference.
Good luck and for now I would just make sure to always to take a friend fishing. You drive, bring the beer, provide the gear, and hand him the auger.  ;)

Offline Fetters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2010, 12:22 PM »
Get a 5" lazer auger, dump the 8". The lazers  are twice the money as a mora, the reason is cause you can drill twice as fast ;), Still 20" inches of ice by hand, i bust the gas out over 8"

Offline fish_finder

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2010, 01:11 PM »
8incheers are pretty hard to cut through a lot of ice with in my experience I used to drill 5 -10 holes through over 2 feet with my 6" mora without a problem, tried my buddy's 8incher i could do 3 before i was completly gased,  and im currently doing it again since the starter went on my jiffy...new one came in the mail so ill be back to gas by tmrw ;D
Theres only 3 seasons..open water, hunting and icefishing!

Offline Pace

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2010, 01:22 PM »
cgi.ebay.com/ice-kicker-II-geared-portabl-ice-fishing-auger-adapter_W0QQitemZ150408860653QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def... - 13 hours ago

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2010, 03:28 PM »
If the icegator is out of your price range, consider a hand auger with an offset handle, such as the Nils or Normark Fin Bore. You use both hands to crank with rather than just one. It makes a world of difference. I use an 8 inch through 20 inches of ice and its hardly an issue. Like someone else said I just pop a hole and set the tipup before moving on, so I'm not doing a bunch of holes in a row.

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Go get a set of 7" blades.  They will fit right on the 8" auger, and it will help you out a little.  The 8" blades don't agree with a "cordless drill" adapter.  Just too much blade.  6" is about the largest I would go with a cordless drill.  Or better yet, tough it out for this season, and get yourself an icegator for next season.
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:36 PM »
Switch to a 6" or even a 5" if you can get a way with it. you wont believe the difference.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:07 PM »
Switch to a 6" or even a 5" if you can get a way with it. you wont believe the difference.

I would love to get a smaller auger but this year my budget it tapped, I could buy a new auger but I would have to give up a weekend of fishing due to no gas to get to the lake.  Thanks for the tips guys, I will just have to suck it up this year and do what I can or make sure a buddy with a gas auger go with me every time.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Check craigslist, sometimes people are wanting to 'upgrade' to a 8" from a 6". or there might be a couple 6"ers on there for $15-$20.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:38 PM »
I would love to get a smaller auger but this year my budget it tapped, I could buy a new auger but I would have to give up a weekend of fishing due to no gas to get to the lake.  Thanks for the tips guys, I will just have to suck it up this year and do what I can or make sure a buddy with a gas auger go with me every time.
i changed the blades on my 8" auger last year to the 7". let me tell you what, thats the best thing that could've happened to my auger. i was going to leave it at the bottom of the lake i was fishing at. when my buddy said, i have some blades for that at home let me see if i can find them. well he did and to my supprise they were the 7's. now i will cut holes and not think twice. we do only get about 16" here but that 8" would only let me drill three or four holes and i was done for the day. now i drill five and move around with the sixth hole, which i use to jig from. i just started jigging, i think it's because of the size of the blades on my auger. if you can't afford a new auger change the baldes to the seven and you will see a hugh differents. but i would keep the 8's and have them sharpened and keep them as a back up. which is always a good idea. i ran my auger into the ground last year at the end of the season and had fun triing to drill. but now i have a spare set.

Offline scmelik

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:48 PM »
i changed the blades on my 8" auger last year to the 7". let me tell you what, thats the best thing that could've happened to my auger. i was going to leave it at the bottom of the lake i was fishing at. when my buddy said, i have some blades for that at home let me see if i can find them. well he did and to my supprise they were the 7's. now i will cut holes and not think twice. we do only get about 16" here but that 8" would only let me drill three or four holes and i was done for the day. now i drill five and move around with the sixth hole, which i use to jig from. i just started jigging, i think it's because of the size of the blades on my auger. if you can't afford a new auger change the baldes to the seven and you will see a hugh differents. but i would keep the 8's and have them sharpened and keep them as a back up. which is always a good idea. i ran my auger into the ground last year at the end of the season and had fun triing to drill. but now i have a spare set.

I will have to see if I can find a set of 7in blades.  Thanks for the tip guys.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:49 PM »
A new set of blades is going to run you $29.99. you can find a 6" auger on craigslist for cheaper then that!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bead head

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:55 PM »
i started out with a 8 in. mora with swedish blades it was'nt bad with 4-8 in. of ice but much more than that and it would play me out . this year i bought a 5 in. lazer , what a difference ,down sizeing made it much easier drilling. only now i have pull the vex. transducer out of hole to land fish but a good tradeoff in my opinion.

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2010, 09:22 PM »
GET A NILS!  I had a Mora for years and never realized how slow it drilled a hold until I bought a Nils.  The difference is night & day.  I love the thing.  You won't be disappointed. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline haffshak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2010, 12:08 AM »
I second the Nils. I got one for Christmas from my son to lighten up my load. I have not cracked out the jiffy yet this year. This auger really drills sweet.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:21 AM »
only now i have pull the vex. transducer out of hole to land fish but a good tradeoff in my opinion.

Drill a second hole for the vexilar.   It really helps.

Wiener

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:59 AM »
I use the 6in works great (laser)
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:43 AM »
Keep scooping up the ice shavings in the hole and you will be fine...
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Kim

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Here fishy,fishy I'm not stuck! Just need traction
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2010, 11:03 AM »
Go with a friend with a power auger or Two people on the hand auger. If your going to buy blades or something spend a few more dollars and buy a power one. I will never drill another hole with out a power auger again unless u only have 12" of ice. Even with 12" I can drill 4 holes to your one. Way too much work.
Gonna get me a 16" Perch this year.

Offline Cheeks13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2010, 04:52 PM »
One word.... Nils. Another word.... Amazing. Ask around. Cheeks out!!! 8)

Liberty or death-what we so proudly hail-once you provoke her-rattling of her tail-never begins it-never but once engaged-never surrender-showing the fangs of rage!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.