Author Topic: Shanty Rentals on little bay de noc?  (Read 17450 times)

Offline WETBulldog

• IceShanty Rookie
Shanty Rentals on little bay de noc?
« on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Me and a couple of friends are going in feb and looking for a shack and hotel any suggestions?

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Shanty Rentals on little bay de noc?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:49 PM »
http://www.outdoors911.com/reports/forumdisplay.php?f=113<~~thers a url to a lbdn forum...worthy info.         i found a site with a shack rental      http://www.travelbaysdenoc.com/things-to-do/ice-fishing-lake-michigan.html        only one thing id tell you is stay away from Hawg Heaven in kipling.  he ripped me and a couple buddys off 200$ last year on a sleeper shack rental.   good luck!

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Id say STAY away for LBDN Period ... ::) Fishin there this year SUCKS & the DNR last weekend was going around from shack to shack  with a drug dog TRYING to make Big News on drug busts ....If I were you Id get ahold of Gus at http://www.mapleridgemotel.com/index.htm On Lake Gogebic you will have a GREAT time

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:41 AM »
miller time hit that on the head....LBDN SUCKS!  me and a buddy moved 4 times the other day trying to find fish started off south of gladstone and ended up north of the days river..  with one undersize eye and some dink perch.   did see some nice whitefish on the aqua view south of gladstone...they wouldnt bite though.  i think theres so much commotion..all the fish just go south of the last shack south of the terrace!

Offline Papawsmith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2010, 12:15 PM »
http://www.outdoors911.com/reports/forumdisplay.php?f=113<~~thers a url to a lbdn forum...worthy info.         i found a site with a shack rental      http://www.travelbaysdenoc.com/things-to-do/ice-fishing-lake-michigan.html        only one thing id tell you is stay away from Hawg Heaven in kipling.  he ripped me and a couple buddys off 200$ last year on a sleeper shack rental.   good luck!

Holy crap! I've fished with Mark a couple times and he was always fair, but I'd love to hear your story that is how we learn things. Maybe I should be more cautious before I recommend folks.
The site BigArn posted and just baysdenoc.com has several good links or you can call Chris at Bay View Bait and tackle and he will tell you who is getting them and what to feed them as well as rent you a room. I have not fished there this year as all reports I get is that it is very slow, I think all the fish are stuck in abandoned gill nets at the bottom of the bay.  :(
Have any of you guys fished Munuscong Bay? Not trying to hijack the thread but I called Dans Cabins last week to see about the June Smallmouth bite for a trip this spring and they said they are slaying the walleye. Not sure if that is true or they just want to rent me a cabin and sell me some beer. Maybe want to try that end of the state instead.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2010, 01:36 PM »
me and some buddys gave mark a 200$ deposit on a "sleeper" shack last year...we got down there, and did all the work for him  loading propane in his truck and some other things..he brings us out to the guided "place to be" sleeper shack sitting in 3 ft of water just off to the side of the yellow gate main entrance on the ice. it was the most effortless place for him to put it.  we had to open all the holes up and do all the work..turned out this shack wasnt even comfortable to sit in  let alone sleep in...and we were planning on spending 3 days in there for 600$   we roughed the night without a single fish   2-4 fow all weeds ...put it this way  you couldnt even get drunk enough to sleep in that shack!   we cleaned up everything exactly how we found it...even more organized. and got out of there and called mark and told him that was unacceptable for a "sleeper" shack.   we offered to give him 100$ of the 200$ deposit for his time.  and he just blew us off  wouldnt even call us back and kept the 200$.    so.........if you ask me  hes a douche!!!!      he didnt do any work what so ever to earn any kind of money out of that deal...he should of owed us for opening up the holes that were frozen for weeks inside the shack...and all the other stuff we did for him    he had some kinda injury or whatever at the time.   we were more then willing to meet him in the middle on the deposit....shows what kinda guy he is!!!

Offline Papawsmith

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Wow BigArn, that is crap. Mark was in bad shape last year, ended up having surgery on his back and/or hip, I don't know, tough situation but that doesn't matter here. He was partnering with a guy, I think Steve, who could have set things up. Steve knows his stuff, and the bay, where the hell was he? Like I said I never had any complaints about him, his son, or Steve, all very good guys to me, but that does nothing for others that have had issues. You are more than right to be pissed and they ought to be glad you didn't drag their shack into the trees with your truck. I know I'm prone to do goofy crap when I'm drinking and pissed and probably would have made a genius maneuver like that. From now on I will refrain from recommending them to anyone. In fact I will probably look for a new ice outfitter for me when I travel there. Hard to believe in todays economy that anyone would risk their reputation and take and keep funds for a failed provision of service.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:37 PM »
its a shame  i dont like to say anything bad about anyone.   i didnt bring this up on any forum   but...seeing someone was asking for info i figured id give them the honest answer.

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:09 PM »
Id say STAY away for LBDN Period ... ::) Fishin there this year SUCKS & the DNR last weekend was going around from shack to shack  with a drug dog TRYING to make Big News on drug busts ....If I were you Id get ahold of Gus at http://www.mapleridgemotel.com/index.htm On Lake Gogebic you will have a GREAT time

Dave hit the nail on the head: I have never seen the fishing so poor as this year. ALOT of permanent shacks have been pulled off the ice already. The fishing is so good mine is getting pulled tomorrow. I missed out on the dnr raid as I have not wasted my time out there for the last week. Figures, they KNOW no one has a limit of fish so they resort to drug sniffing dogs trying to make a bust. Trying to justify their jobs evidently. No fish left to enforce rules on so let's try narcotics!! Ridiculous, guys are bummed because they can't catch a fish and they throw insult after injury. Great P.R.
You would think, (this being a logical assumption, which is in no part of the dnr's vocabulary) they would be out there spreading some type of good news, as in what they plan to do to revive the fishery or how they intend to make examples of those morons who raped they bay with gill nets. Time for me to quit raving here. Just my $.02 worth.

Aaron

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:27 PM »
yea  thats a bunch of BS about the raid     i read a thread on outdoors911.com and the conservation officer who was involved wrote on there...and some guy made a comment under him saying i thought dnr enforce natural resources like fish, deer,bear,eagles  etc.   then he said he wished he could still call him a "conservation" officer.   apparently it was such a bad thing the moderator deleted the thread

Offline Exile

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Cooking a Litlle Venie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:26 PM »
The whole bay sucks!  The DNR should spend more time catching the netters then trying to act like Miami Vice..  I for one is going to head down the Gogebic.. 
Only in the U.P.  (You can take man out of the U.P. but can't take the U.P. out of the Man)

Offline davemillertime

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2010, 04:45 PM »
The whole bay sucks!  The DNR should spend more time catching the netters then trying to act like Miami Vice..  I for one is going to head down the Gogebic.. 

When Ya go to Gogebic stop by & buy your bait from Gus @ Mapleridge ..He is a great guy & will tell ya & He wont give ya a bunch of B.S

Offline WETBulldog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:29 PM »
So if we're stay off LBDN any lakes around the same area that are decent. that is half way between the three of us. we just dont want to get a big goose egg

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:25 PM »
I have to say.....I don't understand why you're upset with the DNR Warden for doing his job.  It's not his fault the fishing stinks.  I'm glad he's out there enforcing the law.  I don't enjoy being on the ice with a bunch of drunken/stoned idiots.  If you're not bringing drugs out, what's not to like?
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:48 AM »
i think what a guy does in his personal time should be his business!    if he wants to drink beer...go for it as long as hes not leaving all his trash and cans all over the lake...and not killing anyone when he leaves.    as far as people smoking dope.....i think pot should be legal over alcohol...and the only reason its not is because the government makes to much $$ off it being illegal and cant have control over it...lets say if they were to legalize it   how much would they actually make off taxing it...probally not much because people are gonna grow and sell better stuff..they make millions off busting people with it!  who is gonna make there own stinky fermenting batches of alcohol in there house?  not many  thats why its legal and they have "control" over it and all the tax money on it and they still criminalize people for it and make even more $$!    if it was a choice who id rather share the ice, roads and whatever else with someone smoking pot or someone drinking ........id have to say someone smoking dope!    as far as the above post...Gillgrabber is probally one of those guys that bashes everyone for what they do....i think he needs to quit being uptight about what others do and realize that we already lost most of our land of the free rights!    DNR/conservation officers should be inforcing NATURAL RESOURCES...  i guess they do...weed is natural!   LMAO    like  fish...animals...Trees ...etc.     let the cops and upset earn there living!     sad part is  i fish lakes, rivers, mud puddles and anywhere i think theres a fish 5-7 days a week and i have been checked by the dnr 2 times in the last 10 years!  

Offline 249er

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Arn you hit the nail on the head with that one!

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:36 PM »
"Bash everyone for what they do"?  Not hardly.  I just think people should obey the law.  I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline lil-skipper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2010, 03:37 PM »
me and some buddys gave mark a 200$ deposit on a "sleeper" shack last year...we got down there, and did all the work for him  loading propane in his truck and some other things..he brings us out to the guided "place to be" sleeper shack sitting in 3 ft of water just off to the side of the yellow gate main entrance on the ice. it was the most effortless place for him to put it.  we had to open all the holes up and do all the work..turned out this shack wasnt even comfortable to sit in  let alone sleep in...and we were planning on spending 3 days in there for 600$   we roughed the night without a single fish   2-4 fow all weeds ...put it this way  you couldnt even get drunk enough to sleep in that shack!   we cleaned up everything exactly how we found it...even more organized. and got out of there and called mark and told him that was unacceptable for a "sleeper" shack.   we offered to give him 100$ of the 200$ deposit for his time.  and he just blew us off  wouldnt even call us back and kept the 200$.    so.........if you ask me  hes a douche!!!!      he didnt do any work what so ever to earn any kind of money out of that deal...he should of owed us for opening up the holes that were frozen for weeks inside the shack...and all the other stuff we did for him    he had some kinda injury or whatever at the time.   we were more then willing to meet him in the middle on the deposit....shows what kinda guy he is!!!
Well this is one time I'm glad I read this thread. I was headed north in the middle of this month and considered LBDN. Guess what / not anymore, instead I will head over to brest bay on lake erie. When the outfitter tells me he will do something, he will do it. His customers will leave happy, but i guess that why they get good return business. The name of the outfitter is [email protected].   

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 09, 2010, 07:21 AM »
yea,,,,thats the way it should be!          i think someone who is gonna be a paid guide on a specific body of water should know how to fish it!      looking at the hawg heaven reports on the outdoors911 forum  they had paying customers this past weekend that caught 1 fish....then you look at the next thread and some guys from illionois just up for the weekend slayed the big pigs!     you would think it would be the other way around!    id be a little bummed if some out of staters could come up and out fish me times ten in my area that i run a guide service out of......i think id give it up!       then again...they dont give a crap about the customers catching fish   they just wanna make the money without having to work for it!!!

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2010, 11:18 PM »
I just found this ad on craigslist. Hope it helps.

http://www.crawlermancharters.com
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2010, 07:33 AM »
thats actually mark from hawg heavens partner!    never dealt with him.....but i do know hes only up here in the winter and mark lives right in kipling...where would you think he gets his info from? LMAO  if you look at that link the sleeper shack rentals for 225$ a day(actually went up) is what me and my buddies dealt with   unreal how he can even advertise it as a sleeper shack when its not even a decent daytime shack   just imagine sitting on a sauna bench with your holes exactly where your feet are?  that pretty much sums it up        he needs to look up sleeper shacks in minnesota...thats what your suppose to get!          hes got some great unguided deals for 150$ a day   UNREAL    thats straight up robbery      give him a hundred and fifty bucks and he will tell you where the yellow gate is

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 12, 2011, 09:34 AM »
Bump!        Just incase somebody didn't see this.....it could save them a bad trip!   

Offline Hippie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2011, 05:10 AM »
Also stay away from Pinecreek outfitter's ( Bob Kolodzik) His sleeper shack is a crap hole, Plus had us in 52' of water ,2 perch no flags, no marks on flasher another rip off at least it was only 100.00 per day.
Can't believe with our economy people will pull this stuff. I had 3 different groups waiting for my report. He sure lost a lot of business after my report. 5 hr drive gas 3.16 + A gallon getting screwed = last trip to the UP . So Sad
Hippie

Offline Super Yooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When Hell Freezes Over... I'll Ice Fish There To!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Guys... Heading back home to da UP this weekend. Was gonna bring the sleds up and fish the bay for a day our two. Is it really that slow?

How is the ice down by ESKY? If I launch south of Kipling or gladstone will I have decent ice? I know the fishing is always better this time of year further south, but not being up there anymore, not sure about conditions south of Gladstone.

Does anybody have a positive report at all in the last week? Would love to hear someone say they caught a few decent fish, dont need too know all of the specifics, just looking for a reason to fish the bay!

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2011, 06:28 PM »
   For the past week the bay has been slow for the most part but not dead. Large numbers of small perch with some keepers mixed in are available in depths under 12 feet anywhere north of buttlers island at kippling. Deeper water in the upper bay is still producing some jumbo perch and a few eater walleyes. South of gladstone they are catching a few walleyes and they run a little bigger than up in the bay. The ice south of esky is still shakey but with this cold snap it will stiffen up some.
  Good luck
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.