Author Topic: HEY IL !  (Read 2425 times)

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
HEY IL !
« on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:45 AM »
What is there to fish for down there ?
Hard Ice

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: HEY IL !
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:55 AM »
just about all the same fish you have up there just depends on what lake you go to  :o
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2010, 04:34 PM »
Whats around molne to fish ? Lakes or rivers ?
Hard Ice

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2010, 04:41 PM »
Whats around molne to fish ? Lakes or rivers ?

You mean moline? If so, just about everything you have. A few small lakes within 60 miles, then you have the Mississippi river backwaters, some good gill and crappie fishing. (I live right across the river from moline, 2 minute drive)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:43 PM »
The reason im asking i mite be moving down there next fall/winter... Trying to figure out how much ice fishing stuff to bring down to fish and where...
Hard Ice

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:55 PM »
The reason I'm asking i mite be moving down there next fall/winter... Trying to figure out how much ice fishing stuff to bring down to fish and where...

I just moved down that year form northern Wis. and I would have to say that fishing down here is a lot different form up there. I really don't get to fish the rivers so I can't say anything about that but as far as the lakes and streams go You wanna change a lot of your gear or at least down size. One thing is down here you can't drive on the lakes so you pull everything out with you(unless you have a sled or 4 Wheeler). Form the people that i have talked to the majority of the fish that people go for is bluegill,crappy,bass,if you lucky walleye. If you ask me the quality of the fish and the amount of lakes up there in northern Wis were a lot better, but i have been doing the best i can with what i have because i love the sport. Don't get me wrong I'm not bashing IL but once you fished a certain way for 10 years and then fish like this it's a little bit of a downer. Hopefully after a year or two I will be able to find places to satisfy me. GOOD LUCK

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:58 PM »
I would have to  say that 75 percent of illinois fish gills and crapos. Cube pretty muched covered it. I have fished few times in wisconson and fishing was always better.  I think for the most part public ponds and lakes arent that great... just my opinion, you are usually ganna have to meet the right people, and get into some private lakes and ponds,   I learned one thing i would have never found half my honeyholes if i didnt ask.  Ice is a big thing here too sometimes not safe till round xmas and only lasting to early feb. My opinion your biggest losS is the time you have to fish, so make the best of it. Just pack light and diff sized jigs, i find that middle of the ice can be very slow here, but there are some excellent fish to be caught if you get on em, hope this helped ya some.

Lee

ALWAYS TIGHTLINES!

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2010, 03:05 PM »
Thanks guys ! Iv already down sized most of my lures for fishing panfish... Whats the farthest walk on a avg. lake ?
Hard Ice

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2010, 03:34 PM »
One place i fish i walk around 200-300 yds probably closer to 300, but some of the lakes are closer. Its not to bad if there is not any snow pulls easy. I put skies on the bottom of my shack this year and that made it alot easier.

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 29, 2010, 09:21 PM »
WOW   thats close ! Here we need wheelers til the ice gets thick enough to drive trucks out a mile or two and some times farther !
Hard Ice

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2010, 09:41 PM »
WOW   thats close ! Here we need wheelers til the ice gets thick enough to drive trucks out a mile or two and some times farther !

Lakes are no where as big around here as they are up there. You can see across almost all of them. lol

Offline Ice Rocket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2010, 12:10 PM »
 Hard ice, one thing you will probably do ice fishing down here is go less. 1) You are used to driving your car or truck out on the ice and that's a whole lot easier than dragging your portable ice shanty full of gear or dragging your 4wheel trailer around unloading and loading.  No more shutting the truck off baiting the tip ups and asking "what kind of beer did you bring " while sitting in your nice warm truck waiting for an 19" walleye to run with the tip up line and everybody yells "FLAGG".  2) Pike, walleye and jumbo perch will be replaced by tiny perch small bluegills and some good ole days huge crappie stories from the old timers.  I used to live where you do now and what a difference.  Now I go out alot less........

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2010, 07:20 PM »
Ice Rocket, in my line of work all i have is time..  I dont mix fishing and beer so you can have mine.. I dont mind fishing for your minnows i`ll be with in 5 hours of big water fish  such as 1/2 pound crappies or bull gills. On and i dont mind walking besides its good for you !
Hard Ice

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Hard ice just say when and where ya settle at and I am sure someone near ya will help point ya in the right direction close by
<br />

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:35 PM »
Thanks guys !
Hard Ice

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2010, 05:41 PM »
The reason im asking i mite be moving down there next fall/winter... Trying to figure out how much ice fishing stuff to bring down to fish and where...

Your moving from MN to IL... that's like going from a corvette to a mini van.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2010, 06:17 PM »
Your moving from MN to IL... that's like going from a corvette to a mini van.

Good thing he isn't going from MN to IA, that would bring him down to the Yugo level.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:36 PM »
 I live in Sherrard,which is south of Moline. The spots are hard to come by and the private ponds are WAY BETTER. There just isn't a whole lot close by as far as public and good. I've fished Lake Storey in Galesburg and caught some nice crappie,and got some really nice gills off a private lake. I went to Argyle last Sunday and it was the hardest walking and worst three hours of fishing I have ever had. I guess what I'm trying to say is private is better but you can caught some fish on public ice. When you get settled look me up and we will meet for a day of fishing.
 Matt

Offline Ice Rocket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2010, 07:38 PM »
 LIKE DRIVING THE CORVETTE OFF THE CLIFF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 07, 2010, 05:18 AM »
If it wasnt for the girl freind/job there would be a very slim chance of me moving south durning the winter ! 
Hard Ice

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:22 AM »
Iowa is way better than Illinois per fishing. 
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline Ice Rocket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 07, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Hard Ice, this thread been a little tough on your possible migration south but if your girlfriend has any mercy on your ice fishing hobby..........Your area is an ice fishing heaven the Brainerd area lakes,north to Staples, Bemidji area lakes,leech lake.  No more limits on walleyes and perch near pine island, rather a few possible pecks on the bobber in some cloudy water after some dink bluegills. There is no comparison here in Illinois.   The ice fishing that is propaganded by all the ice fishing shows the equipment the techniques etc.. works well in your area but not here.   I sometimes wonder if the ice fishing advertising wasn't as prevalent as it is today would as many people be ice fishing in Illinois?  Cause right now it really sucks...........Good luck.  Iowa is no better unless you like smelling hog manure.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2010, 05:00 PM »
Hard Ice, this thread been a little tough on your possible migration south but if your girlfriend has any mercy on your ice fishing hobby..........Your area is an ice fishing heaven the Brainerd area lakes,north to Staples, Bemidji area lakes,leech lake.  No more limits on walleyes and perch near pine island, rather a few possible pecks on the bobber in some cloudy water after some dink bluegills. There is no comparison here in Illinois.   The ice fishing that is propaganded by all the ice fishing shows the equipment the techniques etc.. works well in your area but not here.   I sometimes wonder if the ice fishing advertising wasn't as prevalent as it is today would as many people be ice fishing in Illinois?  Cause right now it really sucks...........Good luck.  Iowa is no better unless you like smelling hog manure.

I'm catching the crap out of them here in IOWA. Only a 10 minute drive and you can fish it with your illinois license. If/when you move to moline, look me up. I'd be glad to fish with you on the miss backwaters for some 8"+ gills and 12"+ Crappie.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline prayforice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 2013 2nd Place Crappie!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Well I would say there are plenty of places to fish in Illinois and Iowa...But like every lake unless you know something that someone else doesn't it is hard to distinguish from the pack and do amazing..On public waters its usually people pressuring a few spots so try and find a different one and you will be surprised..But as for Illinois being better then Iowa? Couldn't say it matters..I am on the illinois side and can go out and get 30 gills all over eight inches and catch some really nice crappie...but easy public water I feel is the hennepin canal in geneseo where u can pretty much drill anywhere and catch nice bass and a few crappie scattered in between

Offline Ox

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 12, 2010, 11:16 AM »
For springtime fishing, around a lot of the dams in the rivers there is good walleye fishing.  For example the Rock River in Dixon, Sterling, and Oregon.  If you are willing to drive 45min to an hour to get there... (not sure if it against the ice fishing site rules to talk about springtime already  :)
May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.  ~Irish Blessing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.