Author Topic: 1-27 Scouting the coves... From my boat!  (Read 1124 times)

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
1-27 Scouting the coves... From my boat!
« on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:56 PM »
Yep... I launched the boat today.  :o  Humminbird has a new update out for my electronics, and I have been dying to try them out. I figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone and get some scouting in at the same time. I launched from Rocky Hill around 10 and headed north towards the coves. Along the way, I checked out some of the wintering holes for cats. I wanted to check out the new Down Imaging updates and figured that would be a good place to start. As part of the update, I had to reset the unit back to factory default... It's going to take a little time on the water for me to get it dialed back in the way I like it. At first glance, I really like the new features. I have much more control of the sensitivity, scroll speed and there are some new color pallette's to play with. I slowed down at the first hole and flipped the transducer switch on. The cats were right where they should have been, even with the water up 11 feet above normal... They were there in good numbers  ;)

I continued north and took a look at some submerged trees... This is where the udgrades really impressed me

I made my way up to Wethersfield Cove. It wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting. Obviously, the parking lot is under water and the channel has opened up but the ice along the edges was still pretty thick. These picures are from under the 91 bridge looking into the cove:

It looks like the river will start dropping by Friday morning. With the cold temps we'll have ove the weekend, I'm thiunking we'll be back on the cove by Tuesday or Wednesday at the latest.

I poked around on the way home and looked in White Oaks as well. I was also pleasantly surprised at how well things held up there. There was quite a bit of debris coming down the river so I just took my time and cruised along. There were a ton of ducks, mergansers and even a few cormorants along the way. I saw 5 different bald eagles between Rocky Hill and Hartford and even found a new nest that wasn't there last spring... Pretty cool to see. That makes 8 nests that I know of alonmg the river.

Offline fishingabomb2006

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: 1-27 Scouting the coves... From my boat!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:40 PM »
and to think i was out there on the ice less than a week ago fishing only feet from where you took those pictures...
Team Goldfish 55 :-D :-D
lifetime jigging goals:
gill-done; perch-done; crappie- done; bass- done; carp-done; catfish-done, splake-done; rainbow-done; brookie- done; pike- done; pickeral-done (29inch6.5lb); white fish-done;  laker-  ;cusk-  ;salmon-  ;walleye-

Offline spanky1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:57 PM »
That's cheating Blaine! ;D

Nice to see the cats are still home, even with all this water. Those images are still amazing to see, the update looks like a winner. Hopefully you'll post a few from the reefs later in the year!!!!!  ;)
Don't give up, don't EVER give up - Jimmy V

Offline chester

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2010, 11:47 AM »
Cool Post. 

Gotta love those electronics.... ;D

Offline KAJ

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2010, 12:43 PM »
Nice Catfish hole. Looks like I won't be going to Wethersfield Cove this weekend.  :(

Was the download hard to do for the Bird?

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2010, 01:01 PM »
Not at all Kevin... It helps to have 2 separate cards. I used an empty one to back up my way points and removed it from the slot. On the second card, I down loaded the update (less than 4MB). Set the unit back to factory defaults and then plug the card with the updates in. It took a few minutes to install but that was all there was to it. I shut it down and restarted with my card that had the way points on it...

Offline bow/ice24/7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2010, 01:14 PM »
blain  did u fish in the cove.   trying your floting tipups.   when u ask the state if u could fish with them how many  tip up can u put out.   cant belive how high the water is

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2010, 01:54 PM »
Open water is 2 lines per person... Ice is 6.

I didn't have a single piece of fishing gear on the boat... Purely a test run on the upgrades.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.