The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Lazer vs. Mora  (Read 11133 times)

Offline phishinXpress

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up!
Lazer vs. Mora
« on: Jan 27, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Hi all!
I've been thinking of a new hand auger for a couple years now as I know there are much better ones out there now than my 20 yr old Mora.  I know that the Nils and Fin-Bores are the way to go but I also know that the Lazers were top dog when they came out before they started making them in China.  Recently found some made in Sweden again and just wanted to know everyones opinion on them.  Will I notice a significant difference over my Mora and also, do they cut easy enough that I could move up to a 7" from a 6" without a major pain in the shoulder?  Sometimes it's nice to have an extra inch when I decide to run a couple of tip-ups for northerns but I had an 8" Mora that I couldn't wait to get rid of as it was a beast to cut with compared to the 6".  I have a pwr. Jiffy but as we all know sometimes the extra weight just isn't worth it especially when you're a walker.
Thanks in advance for all input.  Tight lines  ;D
Success requires work so get out of the house and on the ice. :)

Offline witty1171

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lazer vs. Mora
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:29 PM »
Who wouldn't want an extra inch?

Offline moshpitbull

• IceShanty Rookie
  • no shrimp
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 02:35 PM »
six inches for life... in all seriosness i turned my old mora into a permanant drill auger and got a new lazer as a back up both six inches. the lazer cuts like an animal would recomend it my buddy has an eight inch and the difference when drilling is like night and day. on the other hand it is always nice to have a big hole to pull fish out but you own a six inch already how many problems have you encountered?
dude, it looks like you painted black stripes on the backs of the baitfish!

Offline phishinXpress

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:24 PM »
you're right on the problems encountered with the 6"....only a couple come to mind in all the years i've used it....point well taken

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:30 PM »
Nils blade replacements are very expensive, I got a 6 inch lazer, drilling is smooth.

Offline Grady95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Stay Sharp, Be Safe
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:40 PM »
Buy the Lazer!  They cut like crazy.  Had a Mora before. Won't ever go back!  I have a 6 and an 8.  The 8 is not nearly as easy as the 6, but that's to be expected.
Stay Sharp, Be Safe
Grady

Offline soduswaternut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • work is for people who don't know how to fish!!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:43 PM »
I got an 8" lazer and its the cats meow for anything under 12" of ice

Tight  Lines,
Steve

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:50 PM »
One must figure if you are tough enough to screw 50 hole in 18 inches of ice with a 6 inch hand auger you are more then capable of dragging a Jiffy on a sled. Guess where my hand auger is ??? No really I haven't seen it in 30 years! :roflmao:

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:53 PM »
going to post a little premature since i my self just got my 7" lazer yesterday and will use it friday but i bought the 7 over the 6 out of complete curiousity my friends have a 6" and so i figured a 7 would be nice to try just a little bigger and my logic is (and I havent tested it yet) that when you are out in the extreme cold and your holes are constantly freezing up this gives you and extra inch to not have to worry so much about chizzilin out and the extra inch for when you have that big one no need to drill another hole.
It's close

Offline phishinXpress

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Flag Up!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:02 PM »
thanks for the input....keep it comin!  plan on upgrading possibly after payday tomorrow night before heading out friday morning.  my mora isn't cutting worth a '#@* anymore even with new blades.  and i don't think my carpal tunnel is making it any more enjoyable.

Offline rjhulbert

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:37 PM »
 i had to double check was conserned about the blades being made in sweden but both the shaft and blades are made in sween so i dont feel like i just bough cheap **** from china all quality product
It's close

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:45 PM »

nils

Offline Professor Finessor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:01 PM »
LAZER
If I wanted to remember something stupid like that,.......... I'd have to forget something intelligent...!

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:13 PM »
going to post a little premature since i my self just got my 7" lazer yesterday and will use it friday but i bought the 7 over the 6 out of complete curiousity my friends have a 6" and so i figured a 7 would be nice to try just a little bigger and my logic is (and I havent tested it yet) that when you are out in the extreme cold and your holes are constantly freezing up this gives you and extra inch to not have to worry so much about chizzilin out and the extra inch for when you have that big one no need to drill another hole.
yup ive got a lazer 7 inch. love it. wont go back to mora ever. cuts beutiful

Offline RobLII

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:23 PM »
I have a 8" lazer and love it. I use it for my tipups. I fish reservoirs with big trout and find the larger hole a treat and help me lose less fish.  When I walk and jig I use my 6" mora. It cuts well, but I do wish it was a lazer.

The mora cuts a hole, the lazer attacks a hole.

Offline rpifisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:33 PM »
If anyone is interested in upgrading to an 8", I have an 8" laser that's only drilled about 20 holes and am looking to trade for a 4-6" laser in good condition(Only my 2nd time ice fishing - don't know what to do with dull blades).  My 8" drills very well, but with 12" ice on the Tomhannock, my shoulders are falling off  :P

Offline madmichael365

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:35 PM »
Fin-Bore
IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/fishincutie/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/IMG]

Offline nicetohaveice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:50 PM »
    ;)      LAZER     

But  I  would stay with a 6",  as they last a long time, and as you get older, the cranking gets harder and harder, I have the 8" size,  will be looking for a 6" next season.
  tight lines   :o
KeepMove'n

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:53 PM »
Get the 7" Lazer ... I used a 6" Mora for years also, upgraded to the 7" Lazer and never looked back (with swedish blades of coarse).

For me the 6" is too small ... the 8" is too hard to cut with (for me) ... the 7" is the perfect size.  If Nils made a 7" I would have bought that, but they don't.  The 7" Lazer does cut like a dream though.

Offline andycapp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:00 PM »
thanks for the input....keep it comin!  plan on upgrading possibly after payday tomorrow night before heading out friday morning.  my mora isn't cutting worth a '#@* anymore even with new blades.  and i don't think my carpal tunnel is making it any more enjoyable.
Here is a trick you can try on the old Mora. Use a piece of hacksaw blade between the blade and the bottom of the drill. Put the  Hacksaw blade in a vice and use vice grips to break a piece off. This will make the pitch on the blades a bit fatter and I bet you'll be cutting again. You can't bang the drill on the ice to knock the freeze off. It changes the pitch on the blades. The hacksaw scrap may bring the pitch back in line. Ya never know. I am going to hit 50 this year. I bought a 2 cycle Strikemaster Lazer 2000 a couple years ago. Wow what was I waiting for.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Go with the lazer. Much less down pressure is needed than with the mora.
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:20 PM »
Never used a LAZER or anything except the blue MORA. Mora with the cheap Chinese blades will make you dread having more than 3" of ice. Sharp Swedish made blades will insure the biggest girly-girl in the world can cut holes with ease, regardless of the auger diameter or ice thickness. IT's ALL ABOUT THE BLADES when it comes to hand augers.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:22 PM »
lol  there is no vs...lazer
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

Offline Born2Hunt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:29 PM »
I bought a new Lazer 8" this year and love it so far. I drilled at least 25 holes in 11 inch ice with no problem but I think a new 6 inch will be in order for running and gunning. ;)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:36 PM »
 5 inch lazer here  had it about  8 years ...... i love it also have a  gas auger i but a  6 in lazer (power) shaft on ......  i'm very pleased  trouble  with a nils  is cost  and if you have  bad shoulders  useing one   isn't easy ...least for me !!!! although they cut fast  and easy

Offline jekross42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:38 PM »
i got the 6 in, and my buddy who fishes with me all the time has the 8 in, theres no comparison the 6 cuts so much better and i had no problem pulling a 22in bass through the 6 in hole last winter

Offline hard4ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2010, 01:31 AM »
i have a 6" mora and cuts fine for 40bucks ... after hearing the comparisons, how much would a 7" laser cost?  sounds like it would cut better.. the replacement blades for the mora ranges from 15-20 bucks (i think)
When hell freezes over, i'll be ice fishing there too!!

Offline oletimer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:32 AM »
Have a 4" Mora, for perch fishing. Works OK. Have an old Eskimo 8" that we put lazer blades on. If the folding handle wouldn't wobble so much it would be fine. Bought a 8" lazer last season, even with 18"+ of ice I'm staying with the gas augers. Come'on guys, I'm almost 50 and can cut 5 holes for tip ups in about 15 minutes. Yes as a smoker I'm out of breath but hey it is keeping me in somewhat good shape!!LOL

Offline SizeMatters

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:15 AM »
Don't get the NIL'S--you won't appreciate it till you've struggled with mora's and lazer's for a couple years.

Offline r2rose

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice woman
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:24 AM »
lazer 6" way to go

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.