The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Family Fishing Vaccation  (Read 2389 times)

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
Family Fishing Vaccation
« on: Jan 24, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Hi I am from North East Indiana, I amlooking to take my family fishing this spring, for a week I have never fished Wisconsin, I would like to be on pan fish and Walleye, I need a place to stay as well, my kids are 7, 5, 3, and 2 years old all love to fish along with my wife can anybody steer me in the right direction for a great fishing vacation?

Thanks

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Family Fishing Vaccation
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:50 PM »
When this spring? The inland water season for sport fish opens the beginning of May. So if it is before that you will need to fish a river if you are looking for walleye. Mississippi river can have some good fishing and there are floates that pick you up and take you out on them if you aren't planning to bring a boat. Check out Genoa or linxsville on the lower mississippi. There is a cabelas store in prarie du chien and lots of places to stay along the river. There are other places farther north of La Crosse also.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:45 AM »
What area are you planning on staying on Vacation?

You may need to change your plans if you want Walleye.

Need more info before I can help,

Wiener

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:08 AM »
I am planning the trip for either mid may or into june, i do not have a area picked out yet, i am bring my wife and 4 young children, i have my own boat, but we are looking for a place to stay and a place with good pan fishing for bluegill, crappie, and would love some great walleye fishing, i want to keep the kids cathing fish... any suggestions on differnt areas are fine.  thanks

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:55 PM »
Well,

If you're going to drive,  I would head up to Minoqua. 

There are lots of lakes in the area to try for different species.

Here's a website to help you get started.

www.minocqua.org

I have fished many of the lakes in the area, and I should be able to help once you settle on an area / lake.

Wiener

Offline LENNY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:12 PM »
Wiener is correct. That is a good area to fish, lots of lakes. Was fishing horsehead lake near lake tomahawk a couple weeks ago, caught a lot of Northerns. Area is great getaway. If that is where you plan to go you want to make reservations soon.

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Put me on a lake with great walleye fishing and panfishing?

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:14 PM »
The Minoqua chain is good, Squirrel lake is good, The Flambeau Chain, Trout Lake, Arbor Vitae, Rainbow Flowage, Madaline and Carrol, Sweeney, Pickerel, Crystal Lake, Big Muskelunge Lake, Star Lake, well you get the picture.

There are literally hundreds of lakes to fish within the immediate area of Minoqua.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:22 PM »
If you are in that area make sure you spend a day on Big St. Germain - one of the finest multi species lakes anywhere.

Offline edfalc

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2010, 11:14 PM »
i'd say the Rainbow Flowage is the best overall multispecies lake but again , 2500 lake in vilas/oneida counties makes it hard to choose

Clear Lake gets my solid 2ND place vote but wasnt mentioned
Shut up and FISH

I Fish for Those who Can't

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:17 AM »
depends if you wanna stay in a hotel or not.  Red Cedar lake in Barron county near rice lake.  its in northwestern part of the state.  they have planted on average 500,000 walleye a year in this lake. we caught a 9 and 8 pounder so far this year ice fishing.  this lake is excellent and well known for walleye, jumbo perch, smallmouth, and every summer i catch 8 to 10 inch blue gills.. can easily catch your limit every day for gills and even off the docks in the campground catch 20 inch walleye or easily go out in the boat and catch a boat load... there is a campsite with electricity for campers and tents. they also have freezers so you can store your catch and playground  equipment. also in a ten mile radious you have around 10 to 15 lakes.. if interested could show ya where to fish...also want to add very clear and nice swimming lake for the kids as well.. it is also connected to two other lakes. Balsam to the north and Hemlock to the south.. i believe its 1000 to 1500 acres big.
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:43 AM »
What kind of weather do you guys have up their in late may or june, i want the kids to be able to swim and not have to dress in snowmobile suits, not sure if your weather is behind ours? also is the walleye and panfish bite better in june or even july verses may? i want to come at the best fishing time possible? and thanks to all of you with all the lake suggestions...

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2010, 10:56 PM »
Late May early June would be a little early for swimming.

The Bluegill spawn usually happens around the 2nd or 3rd week of June.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline fishslayer37

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:09 PM »
What kind of weather do you guys have up their in late may or june, i want the kids to be able to swim and not have to dress in snowmobile suits, not sure if your weather is behind ours? also is the walleye and panfish bite better in june or even july verses may? i want to come at the best fishing time possible? and thanks to all of you with all the lake suggestions...
memorial day...is prime for spawning.. memorial day weekend i am usually jet skiing... lilly pads are all up also weeds too..just looked at my notes from last year and water temp was around 55-60 degrees i believe that weekend around rice lake. would believe the water temp should be fine for sure. ice gets out around april 10th on average so thats about two full months of warming that leaves you after ice out.
A good finesse bass fisherman, makes a good walleye fisherman

Offline soaknwet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:49 AM »
Chetek area chain of lakes is a good place. Interstate highway all the way. Lots of campgrounds and resorts. Check out Wisconsin Indianhead country on the net or just Chetek, Wisconsin. No matter where you go up in this part of Wisconsin you'll have a good time.
The river goes on forever and the fishing never ends.........

Offline tbuzz84

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Walkin' on water
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:00 PM »
If you are in that area make sure you spend a day on Big St. Germain - one of the finest multi species lakes anywhere.

I agree with edfalc... if you're up in that area you have to hit up big saint.  Some of the best fishing in the state year round

Offline BadgerFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:14 PM »
Originally from Wisconsin and grew up in St Germain area. Tons of places to stay and quite a few good lakes in the immediate area. Big St has been and continues to be a great all around lake. For walleyes, the area around Sayner/St Germain has lots of solid lakes. Big and Little St Germain, Big and Little Arbor Vitae, Plum, Star, Lost, Razorback and tons of smaller lakes that hold eyes. Hardly ever had to drive more than 10 miles to one of the best walleye lakes in the area. Big Muskellunge used to produce tons of walleyes, just no wall hangers. Havent fished that one in over ten years, so dont know current status of it. You also have the Wisconsin River/Rainbow Flowage between St Germain and Eagle River which has good walleye and great Smallmouth bass fishing. Hit it up every year in the July timeframe and always do well on both.  My mom has a cabin up there that she rents out, Don't know the price or the availablilty, and the lake it is on is a small one (26 acres).  We used to hammer perch and bluegills out of it until it had a couple of winter kills. Kids fished it last year and lots of action, just small perch and gills.  PM me if you want more info.
GO Badgers !!

Offline Bullgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:36 PM »
hi guys just thought I would update you, we have decided to drive a little further and go into minnesota, I have choosen Lake Vermilion for our trip, has anybody fished this?

Thanks for all your suggestions and time put into this for me....

Offline bjones1984

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:13 PM »
hi guys just thought I would update you, we have decided to drive a little further and go into minnesota, I have choosen Lake Vermilion for our trip, has anybody fished this?

Thanks for all your suggestions and time put into this for me....

just wondering...why did you choose to go to lake vermilion MN?

Offline Gman64

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It Cant Be Time To Go Home I Still Have Bait Left!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2011, 12:42 PM »
MN??? So much more to offer here in WI up north has great fishing but having to travel to multiple lakes can get to be a chore with kids. Take another look at west central WI Lacrosse area is among the best fishing around. Lake Onalaska at 4 miles wide and 3.75 miles long is one of the best gill and crappie or perch lakes in the state want walleyes? The Mississippi has all you could want and more, northerns, muskey, large mouth or small mouth bass. Any kind of fishing for any kind of fish all within 5 miles of almost any hotel in town plus there is walking and biking trails in excess of 20 miles in length come check us out!!

Offline mjbmxz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Holy balls it's gonna pull us through the ice!
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2011, 04:04 PM »
I agree with the Minocqua area.  Caught my biggest walleye on Big St. Germain that was 6lbs.  On Big Arbor we caught plenty of gills and perch.
Just Jiggle it, Jiggle It  :D

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2011, 07:44 AM »
I agree with the Minocqua area. Lots of lakes up there. Also another place would be up in Sturgeon Bay in Door County. The bay up there produce some big walleyes and plus plenty of things for the wife to do up there.

Offline blackdogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2011, 12:47 PM »
I fished Vermillion about 6-7 years ago.  We hit the mayfly hatch in Mid-June and walleyes were tough to come by but we did get a few.  Smallmouth, Northern, Bluegill dominated our week.

We stayed at the Vermillion Dam Lodge or something like that.  Was a nice place.  I have to agree with other though.  You will be happier and the kids will be happier by Minoqua.  Pick a resort with a heated swimming pool and you are good to go!

Best of luck on the drive.(4 kids...)  :o  Yikes!!!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.