Author Topic: Newfound  (Read 2601 times)

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
Newfound
« on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Been fishing the northend (hebron Beach, Indian Point, Onaway) the last couple of weeks and have caught one trout whats the deal I hear all the fish are down at the south end any ideas of where to move my house?
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline NH Fishin Fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newfound
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Been fishing the northend (hebron Beach, Indian Point, Onaway) the last couple of weeks and have caught one trout whats the deal I hear all the fish are down at the south end any ideas of where to move my house?

Seems like you answered your own question...Move it south!    ;D

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:27 PM »
well i "hear" they are down there just wasn't sure cause I don't always believe what I hear just wondering if anyone had any luck elsewhere or if it was slow all around
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:14 AM »
well i "hear" they are down there just wasn't sure cause I don't always believe what I hear just wondering if anyone had any luck elsewhere or if it was slow all around
Seemed to be slow all around.  It was very slow in the bay between Whittimore Point and Whittimore Brook. We caught just 2 lakers and 1 decent cusk between 7 of us. Our neighbors didn't seem to be doing much better.

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:28 AM »
Well we'll give it a shot next weekend and see what we can do even though I think I might need to register my boat from the weather report I am hearing  :-\

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2010, 01:48 PM »
Yes, we'll be back next weekend for sure. Not many fish but great company. JIGGIN and CH came down for a visit and we had more than a few laughs with Bobhouse Bull. An old friend put out his shack who didn't think he would this year and the Green Ghost came by for a nice visit. Nothing but blue skies and sunshine, even the wind was pretty calm, esp. for Newfound. All things considered it was a great day.

Offline Whitewizard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2010, 02:40 PM »
First time out this year,did a pretty good in catching some fish. Had a great time meeting Jigging and CH, great company and beautiful weather.

Offline mosred

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bucktails
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2010, 02:43 PM »
I have had some descent luck this year on the lake  ::)
Gone fishin, be back at dark-thirty!

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2010, 04:42 PM »
capt. black tried to formaly introduce myself on 5.5   saturday, but dont think ya heard me...might try to make a trip around the point to visit this weekend to meet ya, as i am located on the north side of mayhew. fishing there is like the rest of the lake hot and cold,and we are in 35 f.o.w......just checked on the shanty from the road, still ontop of the ice...hehe...i think this weekend will be slippery but good conditions if you prepared for the rain, if not then grab your chipper, and call the local "toe" service....lol
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline KissMyBassNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • KissMyTroutNH ?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2010, 06:13 PM »
I have had some descent luck this year on the lake  ::)

take me to the hotspot lol  ;D

Catch A Buzz

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:33 PM »
tippin,
Come on over. I just hope I'm still there. Hope I didn't get washed away. Might have to take an emergency road trip tomorrow. Hope not.  See ya Saturday.

Offline mosred

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bucktails
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:36 AM »
take me to the hotspot lol  ;D

I will be up there on this weekend with a couple of guys.  We are always willing to grow the group.  I believe we are smoking up some chicken, ribs and venison!!
Gone fishin, be back at dark-thirty!

Offline PHISHNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:54 AM »
I hit Newfound Lake on Sunday.  Got to Newfound Grocery at 730 or so and got a dozen smelt.  I drove to Wellington State park and parked and dragged my gear out by the boat ramp.  I set a trap in 25 feet of water with a smelt near bottm.  I then kept moving out toward the centedr of the lake jigging every 30 feet or so.  I drilled about 15 holes.  Never got a hit.  I packed up and walked around the point to the beach and hit the other side up. Nothing.  I talked to 10 or 15 people and they were all skunked.   I want to try the east side near the cemetery next time. 

Question.  How do you guys send your smelt to the bottom on a trap?  Do you put a big weight above it and drop it till it hits bottom.  If so how big and how far from the smelt?  Also how do you hook your bait on a jig (through the back?) 

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:10 AM »
Question.  How do you guys send your smelt to the bottom on a trap?  Do you put a big weight above it and drop it till it hits bottom.  If so how big and how far from the smelt?  Also how do you hook your bait on a jig (through the back?)  

I put a sounder right on the hook, then mark the spot where to stop on the reel (I put a loose knot that I can undo later). Take the sounder off and add your smelt, and send him (or her  ;) ) to the bottom. You'll need a small sinker to get him down, mine is usually about 6" above the smelt.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:27 AM »
I put a sounder right on the hook, then mark the spot where to stop on the reel (I put a loose knot that I can undo later). Take the sounder off and add your smelt, and send him (or her  ;) ) to the bottom. You'll need a small sinker to get him down, mine is usually about 6" above the smelt.

That's dead on.
JIGGIN.

Offline PHISHNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:43 AM »
Thanks,  I will try that next time I go out

Offline bluefingah

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:58 PM »
I fished newfound sunday afternoon for the first time. we parked in a sub-development called whittemore shores in bridgewater my friend dave and i landed five lakers and had some flags that didn't pan out all the action was in 30-40 fow with live smelt just off the bottom. beginners luck i guess.
BD

Offline newfound

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I hit Newfound Lake on Sunday.  Got to Newfound Grocery at 730 or so and got a dozen smelt.  I drove to Wellington State park and parked and dragged my gear out by the boat ramp.  I set a trap in 25 feet of water with a smelt near bottm.  I then kept moving out toward the centedr of the lake jigging every 30 feet or so.  I drilled about 15 holes.  Never got a hit.  I packed up and walked around the point to the beach and hit the other side up. Nothing.  I talked to 10 or 15 people and they were all skunked.   I want to try the east side near the cemetery next time. 

Question.  How do you guys send your smelt to the bottom on a trap?  Do you put a big weight above it and drop it till it hits bottom.  If so how big and how far from the smelt?  Also how do you hook your bait on a jig (through the back?) 

Hey PhishNH,

Three of us were fishing off the boat ramp Sunday.  You may have talked to us.  Set up tip-ups in a straight line from 5' to 55'.  Not one flag.  Fished in front of the cottage down by 'The Big Catch' at noon, and had one 2lb laker at 3pm in 6' of water.

To anyone interested, I'm heading to Newfound on Wednesday.  I'll take a ride around the lake and look for any bobbing houses.

NB

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:19 PM »
last couple of trips to newfound, we used tip up suckers and killed them, nothing huge but alot of lakers

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:38 AM »
Bluefingah~

Are you from the group Frog & I met Sunday? (the house towers that stopped back by)
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline PHISHNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:18 AM »
Hey PhishNH,

Three of us were fishing off the boat ramp Sunday.  You may have talked to us.  Set up tip-ups in a straight line from 5' to 55'.  Not one flag.  Fished in front of the cottage down by 'The Big Catch' at noon, and had one 2lb laker at 3pm in 6' of water.

To anyone interested, I'm heading to Newfound on Wednesday.  I'll take a ride around the lake and look for any bobbing houses.

NB
I think I saw you guys.  I  was by myself and had my black jet sled.  You guys had a dog?  There was another group I walked by later in the day and I talked to a fellow jigging with an old school setup.  slow day.  I will be back on sunday but I am going to try a new spot.

Offline myles23atbr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:34 AM »
I fished newfound sunday afternoon for the first time. we parked in a sub-development called whittemore shores in bridgewater my friend dave and i landed five lakers and had some flags that didn't pan out all the action was in 30-40 fow with live smelt just off the bottom. beginners luck i guess.
BD

Sounds like heaven... I cant wait to hook my first laker ever and feel its power.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2010, 11:28 AM »
Sounds like heaven... I cant wait to hook my first laker ever and feel its power.

Oh it is...and show no mercy! If you do it right you will be all shaky inside from the adrenaline rush.

JIGGIN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.