Author Topic: what type of breading do you use  (Read 3243 times)

Offline traveler05

• IceShanty Rookie
what type of breading do you use
« on: Jan 22, 2010, 03:59 PM »
Of all the years I have fished I have generally used golden dipt breading almost exclusively. I want to try another type but dont want to experiment and ruin the fish. What do you guys suggest?

Offline traveler05

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: what type of breading do you use
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:51 PM »
nobody bread their fish?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:53 PM »
Golden Dipt is one of the best.

I just filled my bread crumb canister and seasoned it up. I save the french and italian  bread leftovers and dry them in a paper bag. Run them through the food processor and make your own. I also save the bottom of the Triscuit, potato chip, corn chip and cereal bags...grind them up and add to the crumbs.

Panko is delish too.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:55 PM »
I've used a lot of stuff and made my own,but I'm kind on into 4C's Italian bread crumbs,not to strong,you still get to taste the fish.

Offline orngcrush17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing better than fishing memories
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Panko with some garlic and cajun seasoning fried in thin coat of olive oil. Can't wait til tomorrow night when i get to make some freshies..... MMMMM
Give a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach a man to fish he can eat for a lifetime.... take your kid fishing and never stop smiling.

Offline walleyemagic

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • () Eyes There out there somewhere()Team NY
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Shore lunch cajun, then dip in hot cocktail sauce 

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Practice on perch  :thumbsup: I have used a lot of different things. I'm partial to seasoned cornstarch/egg wash/crushed corn flakes add some halbanaro sauce to the egg wash if you like 'em to bite back. Also like panko and 4C Italian. Don't forget beer batter, gotta do that once or twice a year.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:09 PM »
try  running ritz  crackers  threw a food pros.  then roll your  fillets in that .... my favorite  is golden dip fish and chips style

Offline tcbass

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:10 PM »
Shore Lunch Original and Cajun are good. Also really liked Bass Pro Shops Uncle Buck's Cajun...was really cheap for a big can of it. Never tried the Golden Dipt though...will have to give it a shot.

Offline wnybassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Double Stuff Oreos! . . . . . . Got Cookies?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:13 PM »
I just use straight beer batter.  Fairly watery/loose.  No breading.  I make a cocktail sauce with my homemade horseradish that is outstanding!
"'I ain't broke, but brother, I'm badly bent"- Stiff Dead Cat

MySpace

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:26 PM »
bassman that does sound  good  ;D

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2010, 05:36 PM »
HOUSE AUTREY

Won't even think of using anything else anymore.  Won't find it up north here but you can order it right off their website.  Discovered this gem while on the Outer Banks of N.C. this year on vacation.  Brought some back with us and held up the luggage line at the airport when they were scanning our bags!  LOL.  They thought it might be powdered explosives!  When I told the x-ray operator it was seafood breading he immediately smiled and asked "House Autry?"  i told him yes and he went on a rant for 5 minutes about how good it ws and to try the chicken and pork breading, as this flavor and that flavor,  yada yada yada.  It was really reminiscent of the scene in Forest Gump when the character 'Bubba' goes on and on about shrimp, except here it was breading.  We all had a big laugh about it except for everyone behind us in the luggage line.   ;D

Website;

http://www.house-autry.com/retail-products

;)

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline traveler05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:19 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I''m going up to sandy pond in the morning so hopefully I''ll get enough perch to experiment with. I'm going to order the House Autrey breading and give that a shot also. Thats what I like about this site you can ask just about anything pertaining to fishing and get all kinds of opinions and ideas.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:23 PM »
I own a restaurant and we server whole catfish and catfish tenders, I make the batter myself. I would tell you but then I would have to kill ya ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:24 PM »
Progresso Italian of course,but I do like cracker crumb as well!!!! ;)

Offline rocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:28 PM »
I usually mix flour and bucs seasoning together and roll the fish in that then i dip them in a egg and milk and then roll them in italian bread crumbs.  Deep fry until golden brown and enjoy with some cocktail sauce.

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:35 PM »
  I see many people coat their fish with concoctions that destroy the flavor of the fish. ::) ::)  Especially perch !
Try some Zatarains seafood coatings if you really want to experience something great !   They have different flavors that all enhace the flavor of your fish and not cover it up like most batters, breadings and coatings do.
  The Zatarains "New Orleans" style is my personal favorite !   Just the right amount of "seafood spices" and it's a very fine coating .  No chewing through a pancake type coating to get to the fish or a crust of bread crumbs soaked with oil.

House Autrey is also great !     Many Black Sea Bass got a House Autrey bath at my house over the years.....until I learned about Zatarains coating !

I believe that Italian bread crumbs should only be used on Italian fish like Percha, Bassa, Blue Gilla, Carpa and Rocka Bassa  ;D ;D ;D
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:29 PM »

I just filled my bread crumb canister and seasoned it up. I save the french and italian  bread leftovers and dry them in a paper bag. Run them through the food processor and make your own. I also save the bottom of the Triscuit, potato chip, corn chip and cereal bags...grind them up and add to the crumbs.

Panko is delish too.
RG
corn chips and bread crumds thats the best

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:55 PM »

Panko is delish too.
RG
great idea. just got the wife a new food proccessor for x-mas. have to break that baby in...
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline traveler05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:54 PM »
well I got a quart bag of fillets today to experiment with,so thanks for all your suggestions on how to bread them. I will give them all a try. Sometimes we like to just make a casserole out of them with onions,and peppers to get away from the deep fat frying,but theres nothing like a batch of deep fried perch,crappies,or pike for dinner.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Try layering them with bread crumbs / ranch dressing casserole style. Sort of a fish/bread crumb lasagna. It's delish!

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline gmanfuzzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2010, 06:48 AM »
drakes mix. add your favorite seasonings to the bag.  some season salt, hot pepper and fresh ground pepper.  i use it for everything.

Offline sunshine

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2010, 07:48 AM »
The Weis grocery chain in the Binghamton/Elmira area carries House of Autry products.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.