The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: JIFFY OIL MIXTURE HELP!!!!!  (Read 8303 times)

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
JIFFY OIL MIXTURE HELP!!!!!
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:59 PM »
i'm trying again as i did not get an answer in my last post i want to try the opti-2 oil but am confused on how to mix it.  I have a brand new Legend 31 3 hp that calls for 40:1.  Do i mix this stuff 40:1?? or less??  Thanks

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: JIFFY OIL MIXTURE HELP!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:12 PM »
How to premix two cycle engine oil at the proper ratio.
Mixing 2-cycle premix oil.
Although many of today's two cycle engines use oil injection to automatically mix oil and gasoline, many due to size, weight, cost, or other considerations use premixed gas. For an excellent smoke free, odor free injector oil, consider Amsoil's HP injector oil, or for engines with exhaust power valves such as power sports applications, try Amsoil's Interceptor synthetic two cycle oil, or Dominator two cycle racing oil.
 The formula for mixing two cycle oil properly is actually quite simple. Think of all units as ounces. If your two cycle engine manufacturer recommends a 50:1 ratio like many outboard motors, it means 50 parts gasoline to 1 part oil. Newer engines might call for 100:1 ratios. This means 100 parts gasoline to 1 part oil. A weed eater or chainsaw might call for a 16:1 mixture, or a 25:1 mix.
Let's solve the formula . One gallon of gasoline equals 128 ounces. A pint of two cycle oil is 16 ounces.  Suppose you have a six gallon fuel tank.
Six gallons gasoline  x 128 ounces/gallon=768 ounces.
Divide by 50 for a 50:1 mixture ratio.
768/50=15.36 ounces oil  (approx. 1 pint)
Divide 768 by 100 for a 100:1 oil mixture.
768/100=7.68 ounces oil (approx. 1/2 pint)
So for six gallons of gasoline at a mixture rate of 50 to 1 or 50:1, use 15.36 ounces of two cycle oil. This is only slightly less than one pint. For twelve gallons of gasoline at 50:1 ratio, use one quart or a little less than 32 ounces. Likewise a six gallon gas tank mixed at a 100 to 1 mix ration would use 1/2 the oil, or 1/2 pint. Obviously the less oil used, the less pollution your engine will cause. The slight difference between the calculated mixture, and the amount in the containers is insignificant.
See the table below for the amounts of oil and gas for popular two stroke mixtures.
Although this is simple for people who are always using the same two cycle premix ratio in the same engine, it can be difficult for landscapers or others who use several two stroke power tools in a days work, and don't want to mix several tanks of premix gasoline.
Fortunately with the advent of synthetic two cycle oils, there is an easier way. Amsoil manufactures what is called a one mix, or multi mix oil. Saber professional 100:1 premix oil can protect all your two cycle engines. No matter what the manufacturer recommendation for your premix, you can use saber professional premix oil at the 100: 1 ratio. This includes all chainsaws, weed eaters, lawn mowers, blowers, edgers, scooters, or any other 2 stroke engines.
Amsoil also manufactures a special 100:1 premix oil for outboard motors.  Whether the manufacturer recommends 50:1, or 100:1 ratios, this one premix oil will protect.
Both these oils are smokeless and exceed all manufacturer specifications. For ease of use, all saber professional premix two cycle oils are offered in one ounce pillow packs, one pint bottles, and one quart bottles.
Learn more about two cycle engine needs .
Two cycle premix ratio chart  (NON multimix)
Ratio   Gasoline   Two cycle oil
16:1   one gallon   1/2 pint
16:1   six gallons   3 pints or 1.5 quarts
24:1   one gallon   5.5 ounces
24:1   six gallons   one quart
50:1   six gallons   one pint
50:1   twenty five gallons   two quarts
50:1   fifty gallons   one gallon
100:1   six gallons   1/2 pint
100:1   twenty five gallons   one quart
100:1   fifty gallons   1/2 gallon

This should help. many here use amsoil, is optmax a synthetic ? I run Amsoil at 80:1. I think for now untill its broken in I would run it at the recommended mixture. After it is broken in move to 80:1 .A lot of guys on the board run at 100:1 .

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:05 AM »
Wow! okay  i understand how to figure out the ratio's, it just sounded like these oils were specifically made to be used only at 100:1 mixture or 50:1 etc.. but guys were using them at different ratios

Offline mech12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:08 AM »
  there is NO measuring when using opti-2.....this product is usually sold in what is refered to as 1 GALLON or a 2 GALLON pouch.   what this means is ,   if using a 1 GALLON gas can you use the 1 GALLON pouch.... the same goes for the 2 GALLON...

just tear open the 1 gallon pouch, pour into 1 gallon gas can ,  then fill with gas.....  no MEASURING needed..

this mix will now cover all fuel ratios from 16:1  to  100:1

you can go to opti's website to further understand..

we are an opti dealer and i swear by the stuff in my strikemaster.  it runs cleaner, faster, sounds better.  there is virtually no exhaust smoke , great for ice houses. no more black snotty oil running out exhaust. 

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:49 AM »
i just buy the little bottles of jiffy oil/stabilzer. one bottle to one gallon. no measuring involved.

Offline tracker 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:06 AM »
  there is NO measuring when using opti-2.....this product is usually sold in what is refered to as 1 GALLON or a 2 GALLON pouch.   what this means is ,   if using a 1 GALLON gas can you use the 1 GALLON pouch.... the same goes for the 2 GALLON...

just tear open the 1 gallon pouch, pour into 1 gallon gas can ,  then fill with gas.....  no MEASURING needed..

this mix will now cover all fuel ratios from 16:1  to  100:1

you can go to opti's website to further understand..

we are an opti dealer and i swear by the stuff in my strikemaster.  it runs cleaner, faster, sounds better.  there is virtually no exhaust smoke , great for ice houses. no more black snotty oil running out exhaust. 
   That is pretty good idea. Is opti 2 a synthetic ?

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:13 AM »
I have used Amsoil 100-1 for over 30 years. If it didn't work I would tell you so! I use it in every two stroke engine I can get my hands on. No need to run a different ratio for break in.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline mech12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:25 AM »
 i posted a link to opti's web site.  they can explain better than i

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:24 AM »
I spoke to the Amsoil rep at the St. Paul Ice Show.

He told me that you want to make sure your auger is broke in before switching to their product.  This way the rings are seated, etc.
His statement was " Amsoil cuts down the wear so much, that it will take longer for your engine to "break in" so run a couple of tanks of the regular premix before you switch."

I have had my auger for 8 years,  I switched this year, and I am running Amsoil at 50:1
I am very happy with it.  The auger starts quicker, usually in one or two pulls.  No smoke, no leakage, and the auger seems to have more torque and cut better. (at least to me)

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:26 PM »
On my jiffy new 3500 engines 40: 1 as required for Jiffy's warrenty, I put 3.2 oz. of good quality synthetic oil to 1 gal. of regular unleaded fuel.
It runs fine with that mixture.  I use it in my 28 year old jiffy.  Techumsa changed the 20:1 to the standard 40:1 for all jiffy's.  You can buy many 3.2 oz small bottles that are made to add to one gallon regardless of what brand of oil you wish to use.  Go see wallyworld, or your local hardware store.

I have never mixed over a gallon at a time so it gets used up fast enough to go bad on me.  You can find oils with built in stabelizer for running before you store as well.
I just wouldn't know what to do with a five or even fifty gallon can of mixed fuel.
Thread killer

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2010, 05:45 AM »
I buy Amzoil one quart at a time. I only make a gallon at a time. Just pour off the correct amount. I still find it hard to believe that if the bottle says 100-1 that anyone would mix it any different.  :cookoo: :cookoo: No wonder I won so many races with the stuff :woot:
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2010, 10:17 AM »
I buy Amzoil one quart at a time. I only make a gallon at a time. Just pour off the correct amount. I still find it hard to believe that if the bottle says 100-1 that anyone would mix it any different.  :cookoo: :cookoo: No wonder I won so many races with the stuff :woot:
We had a large thread last year and the year before on the topic.  A rep. from one of the manufacturers explained it in detail.

It's not the amount of oil, whether it is a quart or a tablespoon, it's the amount of special lubricant put into the synthetic oils that is the whole big deal.
100:1 and 20:1 synthetic both have THE EXACT SAME AMOUNT OF THE SPECIAL ADDITIVE.    Just more oil or less oil but same amount of additive.  The additive starts with a "P" but I can't recall the name at the moment.
For all of  you newbies, just follow directions.   
I am sure that this one goes with the ford vs. chevy   jiffy vs strikemaster, 100:1 vs 40:1 but for the unknowing, it's all a bit academic and for the most part idle chatter.   

Now my "70 Dodge Cuda with the 440 six pack, that's a different story, it goes fast. Just kidding, one can dream, it's America.
Thread killer

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2010, 06:05 PM »
I'd like to think i could just use a good quality oil at the right mixture with regular gas but this brand new jiffy runs like garbage.  I wouldn't like to think that i have to get amsoil or opti-2 and non ethonal gas to make the thing run well.  I've also been told that shouldn't make to much of a diiference short term.  I'm aggravated with it enough right now and jiffy/tecumsuh customer service that i have just stuck it in a corner and am using my nils 8 inch hand auger.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2010, 06:41 PM »
I'd like to think i could just use a good quality oil at the right mixture with regular gas but this brand new jiffy runs like garbage.  I wouldn't like to think that i have to get amsoil or opti-2 and non ethonal gas to make the thing run well.  I've also been told that shouldn't make to much of a diiference short term.  I'm aggravated with it enough right now and jiffy/tecumsuh customer service that i have just stuck it in a corner and am using my nils 8 inch hand auger.
If you are using good fresh unleaded fuel, and a basically good grade of synthetic oil mixed at 40:1, it isn't your fuel mix/oil problem.  If your jiffy had dirt in the fuel system, that could be it.  If your Jiffy is BRAND NEW and it runs like crap, call the factory and get a return authorization number and ship it back. Jiffy has a warrenty of one year on the engine. All two strokes do not like ethonal so no complaints there.
Again, the mix can't get much simpler, and we have about twenty threads on this auger page about fuel mix questions. Either you have comtaminated fuel, or a dirty carb, or an improperly tuned carb, or a dirty spark plug, or, something a mechanic needs to fix.

Again, if your Jiffy is new, get the warrenty work done.  If not new, take it to a good two stroke mechanic. Usually, it is dirty fuel or a dirty carb. if you have already cleaned/replaced the plug.  Be sure the fuel cap vent is open if your model has one.
Good luck.
Thread killer

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2010, 06:51 PM »
i'm trying again as i did not get an answer in my last post i want to try the opti-2 oil but am confused on how to mix it.  I have a brand new Legend 31 3 hp that calls for 40:1.  Do i mix this stuff 40:1?? or less??  Thanks
The place that sold you the Jiffy should also sell synthetic oil in little bottles.  A 3.2 ounce container of oil when mixed with one gallon of fresh unleaded fuel will equal 40:1.  During your break in period I would follow exactly what the manufacturer says so you don't loose the warrenty coverage, which warns against any oil not mixed at 40:1 and they recommend their brand although any good quality synthetic made to be mixed at 40:1  will satisfy the warrenty requirements and make your auger preform better during the break in period. Your engine is designed to run a little rich so the cylinder walls, and especially the rings get good lube during the tight tolerances experienced during the break in period.

The reason oil is added to the fuel is to scavenge (clean), lubricate, and cool the cylinder walls, the rings, and the main bearings.  It is a lot easier to change a gunked up spark plug, than it is to get a ring job, a new piston, and the cylinder walls honed out.
Thread killer

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2010, 07:15 PM »
The jiffy oil wasn't available at dicks so i bought some decent (amelie) and mixed it properly, it is the first tank of gas.  I called the customer service number that they give in the manual , which is tecumseh, it (automated service) gave me a out of business tecumseh dealer  >:( i called and called until i got a live person who said he was a warehouse worker who told me the only thing he could give me close to my area was the out of business dealer  >:(.  so i called jiffy several times and received the same recording every time which stated due to high call volume call back later or go to our website. >:( This customer service is totally unacceptable. >:(  even if i get it running good it 's going back to Dicks before the 90 day return is up.  I should have paid attention to all the posts on here about jiffy.  Will get my money back and pay the extra for a nils..  I will try dumping out the gas get a new plug and get some no ethanol gas and a diifferent oil, jiffy 3.2 if i can find it or the others mentioned on this site.  How's that sound?? and thanks for your continued help :)

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:09 AM »

I'll give you $10 for it.   ;D

Just kidding,  use gas without ethanol.  You'll be surprised at the difference.

Wiener

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:25 AM »
The jiffy oil wasn't available at dicks so i bought some decent (amelie) and mixed it properly, it is the first tank of gas.  I called the customer service number that they give in the manual , which is tecumseh, it (automated service) gave me a out of business tecumseh dealer  >:( i called and called until i got a live person who said he was a warehouse worker who told me the only thing he could give me close to my area was the out of business dealer  >:(.  so i called jiffy several times and received the same recording every time which stated due to high call volume call back later or go to our website. >:( This customer service is totally unacceptable. >:(  even if i get it running good it 's going back to Dicks before the 90 day return is up.  I should have paid attention to all the posts on here about jiffy.  Will get my money back and pay the extra for a nils..  I will try dumping out the gas get a new plug and get some no ethanol gas and a diifferent oil, jiffy 3.2 if i can find it or the others mentioned on this site.  How's that sound?? and thanks for your continued help :)

The thing that really frosts me is the too short of a pull rope. The gear box noise is a statement of their engineering department.
The plastic base plate for the on off switch also states cheap.  It could have been made of better plastic.

The auger end works nicely. It's almost as if they added to one end to take from the other.

Good luck with the fuel mixture issues.   THATS something that can be remedied.  My second powerhead runs much better than the first but it's still made of the same materials and designed the same.  Reminds me of a small brown bird...cheap, cheap, cheap.
Thread killer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.