Author Topic: Ate my first pickerel ever....  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Lost Kangaroo

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ate my first pickerel ever....
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I have caught and eaten many species of fish in my 40 years and tonight was my first pickerel experience.
I did lots of reading here to try and work out what to expect, and as is usual with most things, until you try something yourself, don't trust anyone elses opinion. Firstly, I tried to get out the whisker bones after watching some vids on youtube....more practice needed, I did ok, but not great. Secondly, I cooked it the way I cook any new fish...my favourite tried and tested "camp fire" method. I made a foil pouch and put the fillets in, topped them with generous pats of butter, a sprinkle or two of mixed herbs and a splash and a bit of soy sauce. On the barbie away from the direct heat at about 350 - 400 for 15-20 minutes...
I have to say (and my fussy wife agrees) this was some of the best fish I have eaten...yep, its a little bony, but the flesh is firm and fairly mild, takes flavour well. My advice, don't diss the pickerel until you give it a shot yourself. Looking forward to catching some more...
as an aside, ate my first bunch of smelt the day before...spiced flour, cooked in olive oil...eat em up...looking forward to catching lots of them as well!!

Roo

Offline strings54

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ate my first pickerel ever....
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2010, 01:31 AM »
Don't let them in on the pickerel thing,everyone will be keeping them. Put them in a food processor after you fillet them add bread crumbs and onion and parmasan cheese. Mix with 1 egg make into patties. Oh yah.

Offline coreyl302

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fish NH
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:43 AM »
When you get the hang of getting the pesky bones out Pickerel they're awesome!
It's the journey, not the destination.

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:21 PM »
just like strings said  use your food processer to gring them up and mix in what you like breaad crumbs crushed up potato chips crackers
try evry way you wont be disappointed ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2010, 11:40 AM »
dont forget the garlic

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.