The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ling in Canyon Ferry  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Linginator

• IceShanty Rookie
Ling in Canyon Ferry
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:29 PM »
Even though I am a self proclaimed "Linginator" I have not done very well in the past at Canyon Ferry for Ling.  Anybody have any suggestions... Tip-up rigs that work best?  Cut-bait or smelt?  Any luck jigging?  Glowhooks? 

Just as a heads up, I heard from a buddy that picked up derby tickets for us that the two prizes are for biggest perch and biggest ling this coming weekend.

From my experience Ling always bite better at night... unfortunetly that is not an option with upcoming tournament.

Would appreciate any tips from CF veterans. 

Also thought I would share a Ling pic...

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII P UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUP!!!!!!

Offline Mr. iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ling in Canyon Ferry
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:37 AM »
Awesome burbot, exactly how big is that thing, I'm gonna say 26" and 5lbs, what fishery did that come out of, C.F.?   Sweet pic

Offline Linginator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:26 AM »
If I remember correctly it was right at 30" and 6+ lbs.  Caught down in the "Valley of 10,000 Haystacks".   

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:35 AM »
How big is a typical ling around here? I'd like to catch one but I am pretty clueless.

Offline Linginator

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:37 AM »
I would say an average Ling (all fishing regions) in Montana is around 24" - 3+ lbs.  My fishing buddies and I usually throw these back though and hold out for fish over 5 lbs.  Ling can be caught in basically any river, and quite a few lakes, East of the Continental Divide, as well as up in the Kootenai.  They prefer deep, cold, clear water and feed primarily at night.  Ling are highly predatory fish.  They probably have a similiar diet to a Walleye or Bass.  No teeth though - just one-way pads like a Bass.  Two great rivers for trying to land a Ling are the Missouri and Yellowstone.  Fort Peck Reservoir supposedly has a good population of Ling... never fished it but I really want to!

Good luck - Tight Lines

MG

Offline Mr. iceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010, 11:52 AM »
If I remember correctly it was right at 30" and 6+ lbs.  Caught down in the "Valley of 10,000 Haystacks".   
Alright, so I found out where "valley of 10,000 haystacks" is at, but did you catch it out of the reservoir or the river, picture looks like a bank on a river, any info will be much appreciated

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Cool fish.....Do you go out lingin' often?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline grandTheft

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:54 PM »

Did you catch that ling in Mussigbrod Lake?

A FWP biologist told me last year there are some big ling in mussigbrod, but you need a snowmobile to get in there in the winter.

Offline hntrboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2010, 08:06 PM »
Linginator:
    i have done well on ling off the north point of confederate bay...perch cut bait with a crawler on first hooked in the middle and left to dangle off each side.
good luck
                tried to post pics but couldn't get it done

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.