Author Topic: Newfound lake ice conditions  (Read 4313 times)

Offline BearBait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 2009 Black Bear
Newfound lake ice conditions
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:31 AM »
Can anybody let me know the ice conditions up at Newfound?  I was hoping to put the shanty out this Friday.  Any info would be great.  Thanks bearbait.

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newfound lake ice conditions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:48 AM »
Plenty ice up there. I was on Hebron Beach this weekend and I had a solid 10 inches of good black ice. Haven't been anywhere else but I see a ton of house out there so good luck I'll be out there this weekend as well.
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline mosred

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bucktails
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:48 AM »
Follow Jiggins Diary and this should let you know everything happening on the lake.
Gone fishin, be back at dark-thirty!

Offline squaretailanglers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:38 AM »
Thinking about going up tomorrow. I was going to fish the river, but Im thinking of trying the lake instead.
Any tips on locations or advice for lakers??

Tight Lines!
UNH '10
UNH Graduate Student '12

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:55 AM »
Plenty of ice on most of the lake. Avoid the middle, there were reports of open water last weekend. Target lakers in 30'-60' of water. Nice rainbows just under the ice. We use mostly live smelt for both although salmon eggs work for the rainbows. Bring a motorola and tune in to channel 5.5. Definitely NOT a kids channel. ;D
You can check in on JIGGINS Diary for more info.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:06 AM »
Thanks Capt.

An preferences on southern end or northern end bays. I am not too mobile with only a hand auger so....

Thanks
Tight Lines!
UNH '10
UNH Graduate Student '12

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:07 AM »
Where are you launching from? Cummings beach might be your best bet and then push North from there. There is about 7" of snow on the lake. The other access from what I was told is open, right after Wellington state park there is winter access road.

If your walking I would go off of Wellington State park and walk out onto the beach area or off the boat launch. Be careful around the boat launch as there is open water by the dock and thin ice. Another good area is Hebron beach too where you can walk off of. Pikes cove isnt bad either, just south of the store (Newfound Grocery) where you can park on the side of the road and walk out. The south end of the lake is pretty much dead for lakers....maybe rainbows though.

Go to Newfound Grocery in Bridgewater for all your supplies, bait, drinks, hot / cold food, gas etc....they will treat you right.

JIGGIN.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:22 AM »
So it seems like the west side of the lakes is more favorable? Im thinking of trying that cove after the Wellington State Park?
Tight Lines!
UNH '10
UNH Graduate Student '12

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:24 AM »
Actually anywhere you go there you are....kidding.....any where you go, your most likely to get into the lakers.

Target 30 - 60 fow. Beat your jig on bottom.

JIGGIN.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2010, 10:41 AM »

Go to Newfound Grocery in Bridgewater for all your supplies, bait, drinks, hot / cold food, gas etc....they will treat you right.

JIGGIN.
[/quote]
Great place for ALL your ice fishing needs. The girls will treat you great. Just down 3A from the store(north),there is a cemetary on the left. You can park on the side of the road and access the lake by walking down the hill. Good luck and give a shout on the walky.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:08 AM »
Please keep in mind that Newfound Grocery is new to doing bait. It is their first year doing so.
This is actually a good thing for us as now we can "mold" them into what our fishing styles and needs are specific to Newfound lake fishing.
Be patient and kind. Let them know what your looking for. Next year it will only get better.

Next year, I might set them up with suckers if they can keep them alive to help them (us) out.

JIGGIN.

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Do they sell smelt at the store in Bridgewater? Any live shiners on the bottom or just chunk bait?

Just got back from Kittery with some jigs and supplies, but will most likely spend money at the local shop. Ha

No motorolla up here, back home for the time being. You'll probably here me yell'in if i catch one!
Tight Lines!
UNH '10
UNH Graduate Student '12

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:34 PM »
For traps I use smelt about 1' off the bottom. For rainbows smelt just under the ice or salmon eggs on the bottom. Leave some for the rest of us :)

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2010, 02:59 PM »
 whats the deal do they sell smelt at Newfound Grocery? Just wondering cause smelt is the only thing worth putting on your hook to catch a laker on a tip up
“Give a man a fish; you have fed him for today.  Teach a man to fish, and he will sit in the boat and drink beer all day"

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:33 PM »
whats the deal do they sell smelt at Newfound Grocery? Just wondering cause smelt is the only thing worth putting on your hook to catch a laker on a tip up

YES, THEY DO !!! :thumbsup:

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:20 PM »
cause smelt is the only thing worth putting on your hook to catch a laker on a tip up

Not completely true....cut sucker meat works and red fin shiners work too.

JIGGIN.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:29 PM »
jiggin look at the time on your last post... >:D...... :afro:
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:13 PM »
Does anyone catch any salmon through the ice there?
Tight Lines!
UNH '10
UNH Graduate Student '12

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:15 PM »

?????

No.

JIGGIN.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:38 AM »

Illegal :nono:

Offline Cherwnvega

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:49 AM »
True cut sucker meat does work.....not a fan of shiners for lakers never had much luck with them. Smelt are a little more expensive but well worth it

Offline BearBait

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 2009 Black Bear
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:26 PM »
Hey Jiggin and all others who responded to the original subject of ice conditions.  We anchored the shanty this afternoon and fished a few hours.  Today was perfect.  We put 1 nice laker on the ice.  Thanks Bearbait.

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:09 PM »
Hey Jiggin and all others who responded to the original subject of ice conditions.  We anchored the shanty this afternoon and fished a few hours.  Today was perfect.  We put 1 nice laker on the ice.  Thanks Bearbait.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap: :clap:
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #23 on: Jan 22, 2010, 07:49 PM »

Where did you set up? Do you have a Motorola? Go 5.5 if you do. Give us a holler. Nice job on the laker! Everyday is a good day on the ice. Glad you had a good one.

JIGGIN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.