Author Topic: garden tracktor  (Read 3000 times)

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
garden tracktor
« on: Jan 19, 2010, 09:58 PM »
hey i was looking into taking my garden tracktor out on the ice. I'm thinking it will do a fine job, as long as i put some chains on it. i was wondering if their was anyone that has done this or knows someone who has. i don't pull a lot of weight but i do have to walk some pretty long distances. I'm also looking at either building a shanty or buying a three man flip over. i know that those are heavybut that's what I'm looking at. any thoughts would be great.

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: garden tracktor
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:05 PM »
I think anything you take on the water hard and soft; (NY anyways) boats, 3-4 wheelers, snow mobiles, hover crafts, airboats, have to be registered.  Good luck trying to register your lawn tractor.  Should work though, but just legal questions. 

You should find a way to hook up your auger bit to the blade shaft.  ;D ;D ;D

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2010, 04:19 PM »
hey i was looking into taking my garden tracktor out on the ice. I'm thinking it will do a fine job, as long as i put some chains on it. i was wondering if their was anyone that has done this or knows someone who has. i don't pull a lot of weight but i do have to walk some pretty long distances. I'm also looking at either building a shanty or buying a three man flip over. i know that those are heavybut that's what I'm looking at. any thoughts would be great.
I think there was a thread on here about this earlier. I would say that if it works for you, go for it if it is legal in your state. If it needs to be registered where you live, give it a try. I think a lot of states would let you register your boots as long as they get some money out of it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:23 PM »
I think anything you take on the water hard and soft; (NY anyways) boats, 3-4 wheelers, snow mobiles, hover crafts, airboats, have to be registered.  Good luck trying to register your lawn tractor.  Should work though, but just legal questions. 

You should find a way to hook up your auger bit to the blade shaft.  ;D ;D ;D
yes and i found it but thier not useing it any more. i do belive your right that most if not all states would let you register your boots to bring in money. but i'm going to find out.

Offline a45gunslinger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2010, 05:37 PM »
I saw a guy on the Canadian side of Lake St. clair using his tractor..he seemed to be doing just fine

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:34 AM »
Forget the chains and weights and just do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE0WLLlV6U0&feature=related

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2010, 10:49 AM »
If you watched the video, you will see how often he needed to change directions because he was stuck. He simply backed up right? How do think this will work when pulling your shanty on and off the edge of the lake?  No Thanks!          Have you ever lifted a garden tractor into a truck? They are very heavy. Hard to lift it out of the snow when stuck.  ALSO; He used a tractor with hydraulic drive. Without it you cannot steer a regular tractor with tracks.

If the snow is only a few inches deep, the garden tractor with chains will be a little better than walking.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:31 PM »
If you watched the video, you will see how often he needed to change directions because he was stuck. He simply backed up right? How do think this will work when pulling your shanty on and off the edge of the lake?  No Thanks!          Have you ever lifted a garden tractor into a truck? They are very heavy. Hard to lift it out of the snow when stuck.  ALSO; He used a tractor with hydraulic drive. Without it you cannot steer a regular tractor with tracks.

If the snow is only a few inches deep, the garden tractor with chains will be a little better than walking.
i agree with you. but here in CT we normally only get a few good storms that drop allot of snow at one time. on those days I'll be walking anyways. I've seen a tractor like that a while ago and it was diesel and it had a steering wheel but was hydraulically driven. that wouldn't work for me as i don't have one like that. but it was pretty cool to see it though. i have the use for next year of a tractor with a plow, wheel weights and chains. i have to come up with a trailer. when i do I'll show you guys the pics. but that won't happen till after Christmas when the water freezes up.

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 16, 2010, 03:35 PM »

The only reason he was no longer going forward is because the tires were spinning inside the tracks (watch at about 1:45), if you figured out a way to keep the tires from spinning inside, it would be very dificult to get this thing stuck.  It would be great for pulling out a shack, if it was refined a bit more.  I agree that you cannot do this with just any lawn tractor, and that it also needs to be modified, so it's not for everyone, but I though it was pretty innovative.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.