The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Re: anyone planning on any new equipment??  (Read 6575 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Re: anyone planning on any new equipment??
« on: Aug 31, 2004, 11:58 AM »
Looking on picking up a brand new gas auger for this season, anyone got any suggestions.

I heard the Nils are pretty good... Anyone to comment?
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2004, 02:43 PM »
WELL FOR ARGUMENTS SAKE ILL SAY AN 8" ESKIMO!! ;D

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2004, 05:54 PM »
Looking on picking up a brand new gas auger for this season, anyone got any suggestions.

I heard the Nils are pretty good... Anyone to comment?

Trouble maker.... ;) ;D

Ok...here goes... ;) Do you like Ford, Chevy or Dodge? It's about the same thing with augers. All the major brands (Nils, Strikemaster, Jiffy, Eskimo) make good units. All are reliable, but they are all a little different. Jiffy makes all chipper style augers, Strikemaster and Eskimo make both shaving and chipper style augers, and Nils makes just shaving. Some are lighter and some are heavier, some are faster some are slower, some cheaper some are more expensive....but all will do the job and all are reliable. It just depends on what is important to YOU.

I chose Nils Master for the following reasons:
Light....23#
Fast.....24" of ice in less then 10 seconds.
42" standard auger lenght
No pressure cutting.
Service life of the motor

I have a bad back and the weight, ease of cutting and shaft lenght was very important to me......speed was good too. ;) Is it the best auger out there??? For me, yes. For others...maybe not. It's all a matter of opinion

Do your research, decide what is important to YOU...not what your buddy likes. Then pick the auger that best fits your needs/wants.

If you have any specific questions, I along with others here will be willing to answer them the best that we can.

So...do you like Ford, Chevy or Dodge?  :D ;D

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2004, 08:33 PM »
LOL@Bob.

Seriously Bob, I'm looking at them too.  For me it's a matter of budgeting...one major purchase each season.  I'm looking at getting a Vex since I'm tired of having my buddies Zercoms interfering with me.  That comes first, then the auger.  So, I'll be reading this thread very closely and, if for some reason, I come into a bit more cash, then I'll purchase the gas auger.
Kevin Wilson

trapperdirk

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2004, 10:43 PM »
You forgot one formerly known as Esox Bob D . Size of hole . Up here the standard is ten inch and some nines too but eights are not the norm here . Mind you that 23#s is nice . I hate that pulling out a cork feeling with a big fish on though . ;D

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2004, 04:56 AM »
Fat Boy (Or not so fat boy now  ;) ),
Your best bet is to try some out, if you can wait that long. From the looks of the predictions, we are going to get another bad winter, so you might want to buy something soon. ::) If you don't get one by spring, consider making the trip up to VT for my little derby on the 26th of Feb. There will be all kinds of auger there and the guys will be more then happy to let you try them. You are more then welcome to try mine anytime you are willing to make the trip to VT to do some fishing on Champlain. ;) If you have any specific questions, I'd be glad to answer them for you.

trapperdirk,
Yup...there are 4.5",6",7",8",9" and 10" auger bits. A size for everybody. As a note to those using the laydown tip-ups like the Polars.....They WILL go down a 10" hole very easily. So, if you use those with a 10" hole, you will need to secure them in place with something. If you use the 40-up, hi-flag, heritage lakers, etc. they work fine with the 10" hole. That is where people need to distinguish between "want" and "need". If you fish for trophy class lake trout (fat bodys), you will probably NEED a 9" or 10" hole. Note:I've had or seen 10# walleye, 20#+ pike, and a world record bowfin come out of a 8" hole without a problem. You may only WANT to drill a 6", but that is not going to work unless you grease the hole  ;D. If you only fish for perch, you really only need a 4.5" or 6", but you may want something bigger.

So, like I said...IMO...It's best for people to determine their wants and needs, and then base their purchase on that. The only auger that really matters to people is what's in their hands when they are drilling holes. So, if they do some research on wants/needs and what is available they should be happy with what they get.

Peace, love, and a ton of ice.... ;D

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2004, 06:45 AM »
Egads Bob! I think you left out one important feature of the Nils. You can use it like a hand auger with the available handle in the unlikely event that it doesn't start.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2004, 07:13 AM »
Come now Bob, I have NEVER lost a polar down a ten inch hole. Don't bull people. On the other comment about your auger choosing priorities. My number 1 concern when buying an auger is how long will it last and can it stand up to the beating it will get.

How long have you had your Nils?

I've got an auger that is probably older than you and it's not a nils,  now that speaks volumes.

-Scott

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #8 on: Sep 01, 2004, 12:22 PM »
Scott,
I know of several guys that have lost polars...one lost 3 in a season. I don't use them, so all I can say is what I've seen with others. I'm not trying to "bull" anybody...The guy ( has ice fished for many years) who lost the 3 even posted it on another message board last year or the year before. When that forum opens again, I'll be sure to post a link to the thread for you.

Yup...Jiffy's last a long time. That's great...However, I don't need to carry a 40# +++ auger around with me. I think Bush Bunny has had his Nils for 15 years now without a problem. Tanaka motors have twice the service life of a Tecumseh.  I've wrestled with heavy chipper augers for 25 years....I've had enough of it. If I needed a 10" auger, I'd go with the Strike Master Laser Mag Express. I'm glad you like your Jiffy. That is what is important. I like my Nils and that is what is important to me.  Ford, Chevy, dodge...It's all a matter of opinion.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2004, 02:24 PM »
Bob - I know that Nils had some problems when they switched over to the new tanaka motors.  Do they have those problems fixed now? 

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2004, 02:42 PM »
Setting a Polar tip-up
Step 1 tighten wingnut, problem solved.

LoL, a guy on another message board, If I only had a dime for every time I read that :D Good one.
So you don't like chipper style augers? I hate blade augers, why? Because one bump, rock, or some dirt and home you go lugging your super light auger home, been there done that. Never again.

40lb +? What auger is this? Best I could muster out of my 10" with full tank of gas is 36lbs. Where do you pull these numbers out of? You're right this is like ford vs.chevy, you seem to have some emotional ties with your auger.

You didn't answer my question. How long you own one of those?

Scott,
I know of several guys that have lost polars...one lost 3 in a season. I don't use them, so all I can say is what I've seen with others. I'm not trying to "bull" anybody...The guy ( has ice fished for many years) who lost the 3 even posted it on another message board last year or the year before. When that forum opens again, I'll be sure to post a link to the thread for you.

Yup...Jiffy's last a long time. That's great...However, I don't need to carry a 40# +++ auger around with me. I think Bush Bunny has had his Nils for 15 years now without a problem. Tanaka motors have twice the service life of a Tecumseh.  I've wrestled with heavy chipper augers for 25 years....I've had enough of it. If I needed a 10" auger, I'd go with the Strike Master Laser Mag Express. I'm glad you like your Jiffy. That is what is important. I like my Nils and that is what is important to me.  Ford, Chevy, dodge...It's all a matter of opinion.

-Scott

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2004, 02:44 PM »
HMM... I was wondering about that myself, last year there were many returned. So much for the service life of a tanaka.

-Scott

Bob - I know that Nils had some problems when they switched over to the new tanaka motors. Do they have those problems fixed now?

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2004, 03:03 PM »
I normally shy from equipment that is too light in weight. Especially motorized type that might get banged around a bit. Weight sometimes equates with durability.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2004, 03:20 PM »
Scott,
Do you have an axe to grind with me? Send me an e-mail an we can discuss it.

Jiffy Model 30....43# Had one... wieghed it. The guy that lost the tip-ups...His name is Mike...I know him and can give you his email if you would like to talk to him...the post was to just verify that I was not talking "bull". I've had my auger for one year. I've run Tanaka tree tappers (same commercial grade motors) for a couple dozen years and they are great motors. Nils had no problems with the motors that I'm aware of, they did have some cutting heads that came with the wrong angle and those were replaced by the factory for no charge.

"you seem to have some emotional ties with your auger"... Not really. I'm just very happy with my choice, just as you are with yours. I'm not sure what your issue is with me lately, but you seem to be all over me. All I've been saying is that people need to do research and pick the best auger for them. Not "my auger is the best and the only one you should buy". If you have a problem with me, send me an e-mail. This throwing darts is getting pretty childish.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Darts? If I threw a dart, you would know it. Just pointing out the facts Bob. Lets say I am proving a point.
I JUST weighed mine and it's no where near 43lbs.

You still didn't answer my question?

-Scott

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #15 on: Sep 01, 2004, 05:20 PM »
I've had my auger for one year. I've run Tanaka tree tappers (same commercial grade motors) for a couple dozen years and they are great motors.

OK...What question did I miss? Please fill me in.  ::) What point are you proving? Calling me a liar about the polars without justification? Hammering on me when my posts have said that all the major brands of augers out there are reliable and that everybody has different needs and should pick an auger based on those needs? Hammering on me because I listed the reasons why I made MY decision on what auger I wanted to purchase? I guess I'm missing the "point" unless your "point" is you enjoy blasting me and my opinion. If that is the case, please let me know what my opinion should be and I'll make sure that I post it.  As far as weight...Mine was 43#...Yours is 36#...my new one is 23#...I don't have to carry yours, so it really does not matter to me what any body elses auger weighs unless I fish with them and have to carry it for some reason.

Here is a link for Thorn Brothers for a weight reference.... http://www.thornebros.com/winter/augers/jiffy/model30.html

Have a happy...

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Sep 01, 2004, 06:51 PM »
Polars will not go down a 10" hole. If they did I wouldn't have 20 year old polars in my bucket. Why am I so-called hammering you? You jump in every auger post like you are an authority on augers. One brand keeps popping up over and over again. So I am curious to know your credentials. For some reason you are blind to the question, I wonder why, It's a very simple question.

How long have you owned a nils power auger?[/b]

-Scott

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #17 on: Sep 01, 2004, 08:26 PM »
Polars will not go down a 10" hole. If they did I wouldn't have 20 year old polars in my bucket. Why am I so-called hammering you?  You jump in every auger post like you are an authority on augers. One brand keeps popping up over and over again. So I am curious to know your credentials. For some reason you are blind to the question, I wonder why, It's a very simple question.

How long have you owned a nils power auger?[/b]

-Scott

1) IMO..Polars can go down a 10" hole. My point was that if people use them with a 10" hole they should be careful. Not saying every one will go down the hole, but if people are not careful to center the tip-up (more critical on bare ice) they can go down the hole. When Mitch opens that forum I'll post a link to the report complete with pics of a weed covered polar that was recovered from the deep.

2) "For some reason you are blind to the question, I wonder why, It's a very simple question." I'm not the one who is blind..I answered your question in my last two posts. If you take the time to read my posts, you will see that I answered you. 1 YEAR! I've owned chippers for 23-24 years...That was more then enough for me...I won't be going back to one.

3) "You jump in every auger post like you are an authority on augers." People ask questions and myself and others answer. That's what a message board is about...right?

4) "So I am curious to know your credentials." I don't have many...I have ice fished heavily for the last ~27 years. Got my first power auger ~24-25 years ago. Worked in a tackle shop for ~5 years selling augers (other equipment as well of course) and had the oppertunity to try/use many different kinds/models. I've also been able to see what problems people have had. I've also repaired quite a few augers for others. In general...I have a 2 year mechanical degree. I've worked (full time) on designing, building and repairing equipment (from custom digital scales to semi-conductor equipment) for about 14 years. What else would you like to know about me? I'm just sharing MY thoughts as other are too.

5) "One brand keeps popping up over and over again." You are right...I've seen a lot of post about Jiffy as well.

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #18 on: Sep 01, 2004, 08:53 PM »
I don't know why I'm even bothering to continue this thread. Here are my final words on the subject....Call me a liar or anything else you want. Imply that I have some kind of hidden agenda for making whatever post I make. It really does not matter. Those who know me, know that I'm an honest person who is willing to help people when the need it. I treat people with respect, trust and I say what I believe to be true. I have no need to defend my opinion, since they are mine and only mine. I have the same right to mine as others have to theirs.

So, say what you will.

Over and out.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Sep 01, 2004, 11:24 PM »
I would never push something so hard that I have only used one year.

There I am done.

-Scott

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 01, 2004, 11:58 PM »
So...what's you're favorite color jig? ;D

Hey guys.  Great discussion as long as y'all still have yer teeth and no cuts on yer knuckles.  From my point of view, y'all helped me in my approach when I'm ready to buy.  Thanks.

And, let me say that no matter what brand of tip up is set over a 10" hole, BH will make sure it goes through or will break it in the process!  Just ask Bean!!!  ;D  ;D  ;D
Kevin Wilson

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Sep 02, 2004, 07:53 AM »
AAAAHHHHH! At last a jig question ;D
Let's see ??? What colors do I like ::)

Aw, you already know. ;D

RG

"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Sep 02, 2004, 07:57 AM »
By the way, I have a Strikemaster Lazer 8" and I am very satisfied with it.Going on 5 years and no problems. Mostly I panfish so I use my 4.5" Fin Bor with a Nils head. Cuts like butter...a good thing for my old arms. I move a lot and drill a lot of holes.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #23 on: Sep 02, 2004, 09:46 AM »
Ok, let's see - new equipment.....

I need another walleye rod - I'm thinking about a Thorne Bros, but man oh man, they are pricey - probably end up with a Genz (still nice).  Already have a reel for it - Okuma Avenger AV15, great reel. 

I got a new stillfish rod, pretty excited to try it out - found it at a garage sale, in a box with 3 Polar II tipups, a Polar Husky tipup, and some other misc. ice gear for $20. SOLD!  Same garage sale, got a brand new coleman lantern (dual mantle, with a built in starter) for $7 SOLD!  I think the tipups are going on Ebay - I've got enough of them already! 

As for line, this year I want to try the Cajun Red Cast line - heard some good things, and it would be nice to have a hi-vis line that didn't potentially spook fish. 

Always have to buy some jigs, although I'm getting comfortable enough with certain styles that it's more a matter of size/color buying, and of course, buying a few of the new hot jig of the day. 

Oh, also want to get at least one more tipdown - crappie killers!! 

I'd love a camera, but doubt it's in the budget this year..

Then the last thing I want is a top 10 finish in a Trap Attack this year :-)

trapperdirk

« Reply #24 on: Sep 02, 2004, 03:46 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Strike Masters use the same power head as JIFFY and the vast majority of augers do . I believe most are Tecumseh power heads  . The only differences I have seen is the screw and the blades and handles and linkages . Other than that the vast majority of brands use Tecumseh and that should say something for the motors .
  Now hold on I'm not done p!ssing yet . ;) .Jigs suck bigtime RG and FB . The worst thing to use fishing ok . ;) And no you may not look in my tackle box where you might find thousands in many different weights and colours . ;D I just have them for decoration dontcha know . ;D  Send any extras you have to me . ;D
   Still not done yet . ;D As far as things going down the hole anything can happen . Hell even I've gone down the hole . :-\ But in all honesty I've never lost a polar down the hole . Rods I've seen many get dragged down holes over the years owned by others .They usually as a rule don't leave the bail open . I would be interested to know what former Esox Bob D would reccommend for folks like us that use ten inch holes if polars are too small or tricky .
  OK now I'm done and zipped up but the day still has many hours in it . ;D

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Sep 03, 2004, 04:37 AM »
New, nationwide, ice fishing laws. To take effect immediately:

1. 'There will be no gas or electric powered equipment of any kind allowed on the surface of any lake open to ice fishing.'

2. ' There will be no alcoholic beverages allowed on said lake surfaces during the ice fishing season.'

Well that should thin the ice fishing crowds a bit. Man this law enacting stuff is easy, no wonder there are so many of them (laws) ;)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Sep 03, 2004, 05:31 AM »
Phoenix,
I assume you're a self-appointed legislator. As usual, with any many laws...I sense a personal agenda here::)

Since I use neither a motorized vehicle or drink alcohol while I'm fishing (I either drink a few or fish...can't seem to do both any more) that leaves only my gas auger.

I can fish without that too!

Let's go ;D
RG

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Sep 03, 2004, 06:45 AM »
No personal agenda RG, I got my power auger, snowmobile, four wheeler and all the rest of the toys. These cool September mornings are making me a little giddy and I was just having a little fun :-*
Kind of makes you wonder though doesn't it?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #28 on: Sep 03, 2004, 07:18 AM »
I thought it was a pretty good personal agenda....no noise...no atvs...no snowmobiles buzzing around a nice quiet lake...just fishing. Not much aggrivates me more than setting up and having some motorhead buzz through my tipdowns or start drilling circles around me.
Bob

Offline Phoenix

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Sep 03, 2004, 09:53 AM »
I hear ya, I like it quiet too and I try to stay away from the lakes that draw the crowds. I mostly use the atv and I've got one of those silencer exhaust on it. Only use it to go to and from the lake. I suppose some day I'll be old enough that I'll have to drive from hole to hole, or use the machine to race out to every flag that goes up. But for now I still like to get the exercise of walking around to check the tipups and change jig holes.

I find that most of the people I see on the ice are courteous and considerate. However it only takes one or two j**k a**es to spoil the mood. Oh well, better get back to the original purpose of this thread: new things for this season. Maybe some bear traps to set around my tipup spread 8)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.