Author Topic: Lake Indy Ice condition  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Matthew Waite

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake Indy Ice condition
« on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:04 AM »
Anybody know how are the ice conditions are on Indy ? OK for a pull behind shanty on a sled or 4 wheeler ?

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Lake Indy Ice condition
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2010, 07:47 AM »
from what ive been reading  you shouldnt have a problem

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010, 05:59 PM »
full size trucks out on the ice this weekend.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:20 AM »
any idea how the slush/snow is out there? We fished a few weeks ago and the ice was 10-12" so I imagine things are looking pretty good by now. My girlfriend is in town and I'd like to take her out there but I'm hoping I can just drive my jeep out.

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2010, 05:13 PM »
On Saturday there was a guy driving what looked to be a crown victoria or something along those lines all over the place out on the lake, so you'd be fine I'm guessing with your Jeep.  I don't think they've gotten any snow since, there were full size trucks and suvs out there though.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:24 PM »
thanks for the info everyone :thumbsup: will post a report if we make it out there (havn't quite decided where to go yet)

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2010, 06:57 PM »
two more quick question....has anyone driven as far as alder creek yet, and does anyone have ballpark measurment on the ice thickness?

Offline icedflies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:44 PM »
I would guess the ice is over 12" but we didn't take a measurement ever.  There were a bunch of portables and sleds over at Alder on our way in, I never noticed any trucks.

We got one small pike but it was our first time out on the lake - definetly going to try that body of water again this year, hopefully and all day into night affair for some jumbos and eyes.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:05 PM »
I would guess the ice is over 12" but we didn't take a measurement ever.  There were a bunch of portables and sleds over at Alder on our way in, I never noticed any trucks.

We got one small pike but it was our first time out on the lake - definetly going to try that body of water again this year, hopefully and all day into night affair for some jumbos and eyes.
sounds good. me and a buddy are going to give indy a try tomorrow afternoon I'll post an ice report when we get back.

Offline Matthew Waite

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:34 AM »
Thanks for all the info I will be there this coming Wednesday through Saturday fishing a blue voyager and a red Eskimo stop in for cold one if you like. hope the warm weather doesn't slush it up this weekend. Good Luck.

Offline DaWaitaz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAAAAAG!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:09 AM »

Yes....you will be on Indy this week....and just so everybody knows....this is what he hopes to retain. The coveted ICE KING trophy. But alas he must beat 4 other guys for it.  We will see ::)

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:20 AM »
Fished Indy yesterday and things were slooooooow but at least the weather was beautiful. We fished all the way from 10-30fow and marked very few fish. Ice was very solid and was anywhere from 13-16" with no slush and maybe 1-3" of snow on top. My gf and buddy are up for the weekend and they want to go back out there today so we'll see if anything has changed in the last 24 hours ::) should be another gorgeous day of weather though :tipup:

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:38 AM »
i caught a 5lb smallie out there yesterday afternoon.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:46 AM »
i caught a 5lb smallie out there yesterday afternoon.
nice! tip up or jigging?

Offline tapsboy68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 22, 2010, 02:30 PM »
jiggin. How do you catch perch in that lake. I marked a few fish and tried everything i had but no hits. Are the perch and walleye finiky?

Offline muskyslayer25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:34 PM »
just got off the ice, got out at noon... had flags all day till about 4 pm.. all northern, some were decent size, all around 26 but healthy fish... we ended up with 6 pike and 3 lost, 1 good size fish broke off.. no eyes unfortunately.. first time on the lake so all and all it was a fun day.. hope others are having more luck with the walleye out there however!!! good luck guys

Offline IndIfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2010, 09:46 AM »
Fished out there saturday, got two legal eyes and one Northern, weirdest day I have ever seen out there, fish on the graph all day and wouldnt bite, and never got a single perch, thats real unusual for where we fish

Offline DaWaitaz

• IceShanty Rookie
  • FLAAAAAG!!!!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2010, 01:37 PM »
Well, our group will be back on Indy the day after tomorrow so....hopefully the fish will turn on. Plan to hit Alder in the mid afternoon and move around a bit the following days if the weather is kind to us.  Minus temperatures and hellish windchill's kept us from venturing around much in 09.

Offline woody38

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2010, 11:22 AM »
how is the truck travel out there now? looking to drive my truck out there for the derby this weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.