The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: canyon ferry trout  (Read 1985 times)

Offline mtman000

• IceShanty Rookie
canyon ferry trout
« on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:52 PM »
going over there tomorrow and just wondering if anyone has been doing any good on trout lately. i've heard the perch fishing has been kinda hit or miss but havent heard much about the trout. i'll let you know how we do. thanks

Offline MT Don

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: canyon ferry trout
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:06 AM »
I went there yesterday. Fished south of Silos...........one fish in four hours. Very slow!

Don

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2010, 03:30 PM »
how about the ice conditions?  it has been pretty warm, I was thinking about going tomorrow if the ice is ok

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2010, 04:22 PM »
Ice is very dry and solid with no snow cover: at least 18 inches... and slippery. I didn't have cleats so I mostly spun around my auger as I tried to drill holes  ;D. Fell on my butt 3 times just walking. Did I mention the ice is slippery? I did manage to hook one nice trout, which broke me off at the hole since I was set up for perch. So slippery I was lucky not to get dragged down the hole.

rg

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2010, 04:29 PM »
The ice is thick enough to drive on, I would say 20'' thick.  There is a small pressure ridge right as you enter the ice at Silos.  No big deal, most everyone was driving over it and the bigger trucks were driving around it.

I had a fishing buddy fish finder and got out to about 72 feet deep.  I caught small walleye, small rainbow.  The biggest for the walleye and rainbow was about 11''.  No keepers.  Just threw them back.

Oh, I had cleats, so I stayed upright.

I did lose 1 pole and reel, was not ready for the bite, and I had just hit the bottom and was viewing the screen on the fish finder.  Got a hit at 11:30 pm that was so quick and hard it took my rig down the hole, right out my hand. 
wish you many hook-ups

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2010, 04:33 PM »
i was down at the south end early yesterday morning.  I fished the iher side of the pressure ridge, caught on #2 and one #3. I also broke one off in the hole.  Other than that it was pretty slow, I fished until about 230.  The one guy I talked to hadn't had any action, and from what I saw no one else was having great success.  Does anyone fish just before dark?  I am curious if that would be a good time.

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2010, 04:25 PM »
has anyone been after the trout this week? I'm thinking about going on saturday

Offline TheGreenHornet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Don't waste your time...what a horrible fishery.  Guess all the walleye ate the trout.

Offline eroknroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2010, 02:48 PM »
what a tool... has anyone been up there that knows what they are doing this week?

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 31, 2010, 10:35 AM »
me and the boy went off the christmas trees yesterday..still slow. only 6 bites, we landed 3 and i lost a big one at the hole...my best was 22 inches and weighed 3.9 lbs at the silos store..we fished in 6-10fow..20 inches of ice. TG

Offline fishawn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2010, 09:28 AM »
I fished Staurday afternoon and Sunday morning with two of my friends from Billings. They have never fished over there so I brought them over to my trout hole and we did pretty well. We landed 8 (16"-23") and tips up where going crazy on Sunday morning, but a lot of the fish would only tap the worm and not eat it, so there was a lot of running and walking back all pissed off, but the fish were active and my buddies had a blast pulling in some real decent fish.
Fish Ninja

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:12 PM »
great.. nice to hear a good trout report... where were you guys fishin'... how deep? TG

Offline allan.brainard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2010, 04:06 PM »
I fished Staurday afternoon and Sunday morning with two of my friends from Billings. They have never fished over there so I brought them over to my trout hole and we did pretty well. We landed 8 (16"-23") and tips up where going crazy on Sunday morning, but a lot of the fish would only tap the worm and not eat it, so there was a lot of running and walking back all **censored**ed off, but the fish were active and my buddies had a blast pulling in some real decent fish.
   were you fishing with Jason? he sent me some great photos today of his weekend trip with friends to the Silo's

Offline fishawn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:18 PM »
   were you fishing with Jason? he sent me some great photos today of his weekend trip with friends to the Silo's

Yeah, he was picking up his quad in Butte so I treated him and Pat to some Canyon Ferry trout fishing.
Fish Ninja

Offline fishawn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:20 PM »
great.. nice to hear a good trout report... where were you guys fishin'... how deep? TG

Can't tell you exactly where since its a small area, but the fish were hitting in 3-6 fow. Bare hooks tipped with worms.
Fish Ninja

Offline troutguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2010, 03:17 PM »
thanks... not a problem... sounds like the 'honey hole'... as we call it. TG

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.