Author Topic: How to tip Jigs  (Read 4699 times)

Offline pasch1bm

• IceShanty Rookie
How to tip Jigs
« on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:55 AM »
I'm starting to target the gills and crappie more than I used to and have had very mixed results so far this year. I am wondering how most of you tip your jigs with waxworms, spikes etc? Do you thread on the worm so it is curved with the hook covering the tip and barb or do you pearce it horizontally so the hook etc is exposed? Not sure it makes a ton of difference but curious to see how most of you rig up. I am often using horizontal jigs or hali's.
Just roll em in some Drakes!

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: How to tip Jigs
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:10 AM »
theres a "scent-sac" on spikes right between and slightly behind the "eyes" onthe flat end of spikes...put the hook through it---on wax worms, i usually just rip out the "butt" of the waxie one or two times with the hook, then t-bone the waxie, hooking it right in the middle making a "T" shape with the grub and the hook...gills don't get away with your bait nearly as often this way.  ;D  hope this helps.

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:15 AM »
i let them hang off the jig, leaving the tip and barb uncovered. depending on the how aggressive the fish are, i change it so they are hanging tip up or down. sometimes I also throw a bunch on to really draw the fish in

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:37 PM »
I just pile em on....if the fish under me are fussy, switch to a smaller jig with no bait....that is of course sight fishing.....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2010, 11:56 AM »
Usually just poke them through on the ends...sometimes threading them on over the majority of the hook works better.  Sometimes thread onto plain hook works best.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline cnyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:06 PM »
Ive never really paid any attention to how i was putting them on i just put a few of them on there
"catch em all let god sort em out"

Offline tightline3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Personal Best Perch-1lb.5oz.-14"-2/22/10
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2010, 01:46 PM »
Super clear water, cover the whole hook from piont tip to base of jig head.Dirty or stained water, whatever.

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2010, 05:42 PM »
thread 1 spike on the whole hook then hang 1 more near the head. finicky gills seem to drop their guard faster hooking the spikes this way.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:06 AM »
I usually thread one on the hook and then "t-bone" a couple on the hook for some extra meat.

J-

Offline bassandbucks1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:10 AM »
I usually put 2 spikes on a jig just hooked through the head or tail leaving the barb exposed. After watching a lot of fish on the Aqua-vu I will thread a spike on the hook, covering the barb and point, if I start having big gills show up, eye ball the jig and swim away. Downsizing the jig and covering the barb seems to help for these fussy fish. I prefer having the barb exposed as long as fish are hitting aggressively.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:14 AM »
The big end of the spike" with the eyes" is the butt end,the small pointed is the head. I like to T-bone waxies on vertical jigs,on small horazonal jigs 2 spikes hooked through the big end,and let the heads wiggle.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.