Author Topic: Anchor lines for hub shacks?  (Read 3833 times)

Trooper Bri

Anchor lines for hub shacks?
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:58 PM »
Just curious what you guys are using between the shack and anchor. Trying my first hub this season, and haven't had time to even set it up yet.

Cinch straps, plain old rope, carabiners, something else?

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
Re: Anchor lines for hub shacks?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:32 PM »
I have a sub zero 2 man cube and it has cinch straps built right into it.
They just store in pockets sewn into the outside of the shelter.
When needed just pull them out of the pocket and attach to the anchor and tighten.

Offline elcapitanmas

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • explaining ice fishing is impossible
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Thats what Im planning on using instead of rope, just simple cinch straps (not ratchet straps) One thing I do know, the anchors that come with most of the hub style shanties are JUNK.  I think blaine has some better ones, but if you want some that REALLY WORK and last forever.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=sr_nr_n_0?rh=n%3A3375251%2Ck%3Aice+screw%2Cn%3A%213375301%2Cn%3A706814011&bbn=3375301&keywords=ice+screw&ie=UTF8&qid=1263419064&rnid=3375301

Theyre not cheap, but they work VERY well,  When Im setting up my hub shack, its for 12+ hours regardless of the weather, and it WILL stay put.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:37 PM »
The anchors that came with my Outpost look usable. I had figured on having to buy 4, but Frabill gave me 6 of these.

If they turn out to be trouble, I have an easy way out. TimberLoks! Kapt has a big box of 10" or 12" ones left over from the retaining wall we did up in VT. I'm sure those will zing right in with my DeWalt in tow. Cost: free!

Pretty sure I'm going to settle in with cinch straps. Just have to find some lightweight ones that have some length.

Offline Zern

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2010, 04:04 PM »
i use the chinch straps that came with my Clam Hub. but I have not had it out in any REAL wind yet.

Zern
"Not One Step Back!"- General Leopold
May Your Blades Never Dull!

Offline sport masterson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ceritifed in C.P.R - Catch Photo Release
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:19 PM »
I have the expedition pop up by clam, and i use the ice anchors that came with it.  so far i have not had any problems with them.  they screw in easily and hold up well in the wind.  the only mod i made to them is that i bought 4 carribeaners from walmart to attach the lines to the hubs.  it makes it alot easier to tear down when all you have to do is unsnap a 'beaner instead of unite a small knot with frozen fingers.

josh

The Green Hornet has caught more fish than you've lied about.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2010, 09:04 PM »
Follow up:

After seeing the Headquarters on the ice, my ice fishing partner retired his Frabill Ranger XL in favor of the hub a few weeks ago. Those anchors Frabill provided looked great, but weren't any easier to screw in than any other average anchor. Putting 8 or 10 in by hand is for suckers! DeWalt to the rescue!

For this past week (in huricane force winds), he produced these with stuff available at Home Depot. 1/4" lag bolts that are 5" long I think. A 1/2" socket (1/4 drive obviously) is required. Then large fender washers put in a vice and given a whack or 2 to form the anchor line tab. Drill a hole for the S-hook, then close the S-hook on the washer and carabiner.

The rope was used for now just to finish the season. When I build mine, I'm going to find some light pull straps so it's easier to apply tension.

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2010, 09:04 PM »
I use the cinch straps that came with my Eastman Ice Cube. I just tap the (original) 'T' ice-screws with a rubber mallet to start, and a few turns into the ice is usually plenty enough for a good hold. I don't cinch the door-side wall-hub (always on the downwind side) because that puts too much strain on the door zipper ... I just pull the corresponding bottom skirt out and hold it down with an ice-screw. Since I like to maximize the floorspace inside the tent I added an extra cinch-strap to the bottom skirt of each other non-door wall (3) and lightly tighten to the ice screws. That way the walls can't cave inwards when I shovel snow on the skirt (to keep the wind out). Next time out on the ice I'll take some photos and post.
Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Offline snowmandan76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2010, 04:54 PM »
i have a shappell ice house 6000 and what i do is take a bungge cord and tie a stick to one end then take my auger drill a hole outside the hub and attach the hub to the bungge throw the stick down the hole and boom nice tight anchor and the hub doesnt blow in on windy days
mostof the time ill just use snow for the skirting at the bottom unless its real breezy and i have to use the anchors that came with it

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2010, 11:13 AM »
I use these rope type straps that I got at a yard sale,there like a ratchet strap without the ratchet,you just pull the rope to tension it and there is a release button to get them off they work great and would buy more if I could find them

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:54 AM »
bungee cords.  i use them on the way out to strap stuff in my tow sled then use them to tie down hubs on windy days

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2010, 10:19 AM »
I bought some carribiners to use with the braided tie downs that came with my shelter.

BIGCREW, I bought some of the tie downs like you are talking about at Menard's and they have a hook at one end. Ten bucks apiece though.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.