The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: ??????? pike in quabog?????  (Read 978 times)

Offline musky-man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
??????? pike in quabog?????
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:27 PM »
so my buddy told me today that the pike they put into quabog dont breed. i dont belive him so i definitly need to hear other peoples opinions on this to see if its true or if my friend is just crazy........ my buddy caught 2 pickerel. the one flag i had snapped my line as soon as i set the hook. damn flouro b.s.
if your not fishing, your not living

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
Re: ??????? pike in quabog?????
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:40 PM »
so my buddy told me today that the pike they put into quabog dont breed.

I am a beliver in that.  Over the years, I have caught a lot of 24s.. then 26s.. then 28/30's.. and so on.  Now it seems that there are not many fish being taken up through the ice of this smaller size.  (Don't everyone go running there now thinking that all of these smaller fish over the years are now huge... there have been a lot of mortalities at the bog as a result of improper c&R, nature, and weed control)

I was told a while back that the pike that have been stocked are sterile to prevent them from reproducing incase they introduce a fish while stocking that would have a negative impact to the bodies of water that they were introduced to.. Which makes sense.  There may be some that have evolved and are reproducing, but I just have not seen the results to prove that the pike in there are consistantly reproducing every year.

Thoughts???
, , ,

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:51 PM »
there are pike in the bog???

burp
lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nationality: Porterguese of course!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:54 PM »
there are pike in the bog???

burp
lenz

I know ... I thought they were only in Browning Pond!  Go figure ::)

Offline Disarm0311

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat, Sleep, Fish!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:27 PM »
Pike in Quaboag breed, in late March however there is not a large enough population of “breeding females” to have viable recruitment to build a sustainable fishery. The fish are type III breeders and a keystone species meaning you will NEVER see populations like you do with perch and sunfish due to carrying capacity dynamics. Additionally, Pike fry exhibit very high mortality with an occasional fish surviving to adulthood being more a rarity than the norm but possible. NOW Since the state doesn’t stock anything except trout these days. Shame on the state!! Most of the big Pike in the bog are from the a private / public stocking of 1000 18 inch plus fish purchased by the Members such as myself, of the Spencer Fish and Game club. Because of HIGH fishing pressure I’d estimate the majority of those fish are now gone and the BOG will go down hill more and more each year with only an occasional fish being caught. Not bad for a Trout Man huh Pacman.. Oh yeah this Trout man goes to Harvard!!!

Offline Disarm0311

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Eat, Sleep, Fish!!!
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:31 PM »
I am a beliver in that.  Over the years, I have caught a lot of 24s.. then 26s.. then 28/30's.. and so on.  Now it seems that there are not many fish being taken up through the ice of this smaller size.  (Don't everyone go running there now thinking that all of these smaller fish over the years are now huge... there have been a lot of mortalities at the bog as a result of improper c&R, nature, and weed control)

I was told a while back that the pike that have been stocked are sterile to prevent them from reproducing incase they introduce a fish while stocking that would have a negative impact to the bodies of water that they were introduced to.. Which makes sense.  There may be some that have evolved and are reproducing, but I just have not seen the results to prove that the pike in there are consistantly reproducing every year.

Thoughts???

This is true of Muskie.. Thats why only sterile hybrid pike/muskie are stalked = Tiger Muskie!!

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:45 PM »
disarm isnt true that spencer rod n gun put in 2500 18 inch in 04 then in 05.which would give you a legal pike in 09 and 10. ;D
Keep busting those holes and re-baiting those Indian Hill's

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:57 PM »
disarm isnt true that spencer rod n gun put in 2500 18 inch in 04 then in 05.which would give you a legal pike in 09 and 10. ;D

I thought that the last stocking was from the lake assiciation on 2001 maybe?
, , ,

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:00 PM »
That place has plenty of good years left

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.