The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Eskimo Shark Ice Auger  (Read 5798 times)

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eskimo Shark Ice Auger
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:23 AM »
anyone sportin an Eskimo ice auger these days? my jiffy finally calfed out on me(ten years old) it was a great auger! don't want to by a new jiffy yet because of this new engine. i would like to see how it stands up for a few years before i'd commit. the last series they had seem to be having all kinds of grief!! i use my auger lots and was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions or past use with other augers! i also heard strikemasters are good! let me know! thanks

Offline death row

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Eskimo Shark Ice Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:49 AM »
don't know about those augers but i was wondering if you know how the fishing is at stoney or burton?

Offline Pants

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing and share our sport!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:04 AM »
I have a Jiffy Stealth STX that I got last year...finally got the carb dialed in and it runs well.  I was really impressed with my friend's eskimo.  Starts on the first pull every time and had the auto-choke in it...Super nice.  I think my next auger will definately be an eskimo.  They are a little slower than my stealth but a lot less headache.
Teach your children, but never be afraid to let them teach you

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:15 AM »
don't know about those augers but i was wondering if you know how the fishing is at stoney or burton?
Burton is dead and Stoney is hit and miss. water is murky again on Stoney. the two seasons before this the water was clean the cleanest i've ever seen it. we caught lots of nice walleye and some monster perch up to two pounds. this year water is murky and lots of shacks and traffic after word got out about last year. guys still catchin a few but very spotty, fish the prime times and you might pick off a few fish.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:22 AM »
   I love mine.Only had one problem with it .
The breather for the gas cap snapped off from
riding in my jet sled.The company replaced it for free.

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline FishinAddiction

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Is A Sport, That Makes Me An Athlete
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:23 AM »
I have them for years. Never have a problem with them. They run great every year. They do not ever stall when going hole to hole like the jiffy's. Very dependalble machines. My friend has the new Z71 Shark and its incredably fast. They blow right through the ice. Very impressive and the company backs there product.

Offline fishjn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:25 AM »
anyone sportin an Eskimo ice auger these days? my jiffy finally calfed out on me(ten years old) it was a great auger! don't want to by a new jiffy yet because of this new engine. i would like to see how it stands up for a few years before i'd commit. the last series they had seem to be having all kinds of grief!! i use my auger lots and was just wondering if anyone had some suggestions or past use with other augers! i also heard strikemasters are good! let me know! thanks

I have the shark z71 and wow what an auger I have never seen anythig cut as it does,trust me you won't be sorry.

Offline eyefriendly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • They're down there somewhere!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Just bought a Eskimo Mako & took it out this past weekend. Up until recently I have owned & had fairly good luck with Strikemaster, my last one only lasted 2 seasons of which it only worked good the first season. The second year I had to take it in to get it repaired a couple of times & it never really ran right(stalling between holes & when transitioning between ice & water) This year the engine burnt out after only 2 trips. The Strikemaster that I had before that lasted about 7 years. The one before that was given to me by my father-in-law and he said that he had it for about 10 years. Before that I had an old Jiffy that was about a thousand years old, it worked good but weighed a ton.
The Eskimo is definitely heavier than the Strikemaster and way more power and quieter. So after a hundred or so holes I'm pretty happy with the Eskimo. Not to mention that it was quite a bit cheaper than most other augers.
Golf is for people that don't know how to fish.

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:24 PM »
thanks for the quick feedback fellas! i'm gonna order an Eskimo Shark tonite before i can't find one! they are picked over everywhere in the province!

Offline fishjn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:54 PM »
thanks for the quick feedback fellas! i'm gonna order an Eskimo Shark tonite before i can't find one! they are picked over everywhere in the province!
got mine at northpro sports in saskatoon shark z71 $449

Offline BigJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:15 PM »
I've been running the Eskimo Mako for about 10 trips now .. the engine is great - haven't had a problem with it and am happy with the power.  The auger blades on the other hand seem VERY fragile compared to other augers I've had in the past - replaced a set already.  Treat them like glass and you'll like the product.

Offline adkmtnman76

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • summer beauty!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:22 PM »
I have a stingray and it's the best. 6 yrs and still running keep the carbs clean and you should have no problem

Offline waynealb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2010, 05:02 PM »
i bought the eskimo z51 10 inch from wholesale sorys in stoon in nov and i love it starts first pull cuts awesome and it seems the deeper u drill the move it givers doesnt bog down like a jiffy

Offline kingfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero.....liberated 2000
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:54 PM »
strikemaster lazer mag!!!!!!!great auger :) puts jiffys in there place!

Offline zawni83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:16 PM »
received a Z51 Shark in the mail with 10 inch runs awesome and cuts great glad i bought it!!

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:11 AM »
Have an Eskimo Stingray here, and it's an awesome auger for it's size.  Light, cheap, dependable, cuts well, what more does one need.  Eskimo makes a fantastic auger.

Offline saskoutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2010, 11:21 AM »
I own a stingray i purchased last season, and being a small engine mechanic and having worked on hundreds of augers i give it to eskimo hands down. I truly hate strikemaster augers, a buddy of mine had one leaning against his hut in -7, his kid knocked it over and the plastic handles and auger fins both shattered like glass.

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2010, 01:57 PM »
I bought my Eskimo shark in 2001. It has the emak chainsaw engine on it and I have no complaints at all with the auger, very fast. From what I have read the newer eskimo engines have worked out just fine. So I would not hesitate to buy another eskimo auger when the time comes.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2010, 02:58 PM »
Owner of An Eskimo Mako here, Love it!! Had it out about a dozen times and it runs great and cuts fast. No complaints. Used amsoil and stabil for the mix. Metal handles and Metal gear box. Just wish I could have a grease fitting in the gear case. ;D

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:59 PM »
I have a Mako bought this year. My only complaint is some of the paint chipped off of the flight. Not sure how that happened. Drills holes just fine.

Offline yoopermjm

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:06 PM »
My buddy's Strikemaster broke a handle off last Fridayjust drilling a hole.  Too much plastic.  I have the 2 horse jiffy stealth from four years ago, and it seems underpowered to me, but it does start, run and get the job done.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #21 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:13 PM »
had a bunch of problems with jiffy,bought an eskimo shark this is the 11th winter,still running like new starts first few pulls every time,and it cuts amazing

Offline Big Must

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:12 PM »
I just got the shark z71 8" hole and plain on taking it out this weekend or next week some time. I will let you guys now how it dose. From what i have read it should run great.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.