Author Topic: New To The Site Also  (Read 711 times)

Offline hardwaterAL

• IceShanty Rookie
New To The Site Also
« on: Jan 11, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Just wanted to say hey waz up? Been checking out this site for a while now and finally registered, seems like a lot of good info out there. I was wondering if anybody has any tips on trapping shiners this time of year. Had traps in a pond supposedly full of them for a week in December. I have the black coated traps and used bread a couple of days & cheese puffs for a few more & still zip. Not sure where to look. Deep or shallow ???
hardwaterAL

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New To The Site Also
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:55 PM »
welcome al!

i set four traps late afternoon in december and checked and reset them in the AM, checked them that night - got over 300 shiners in the two soakings.  just ran out this weekend so set the traps (same as yours) back up in the same location yesterday afternoon.  checked them this morning and not a single shiner.  reset them in different spots and depths.  got back from checking them about 30 minutes ago and still NOTHING!  i was using dry cat food that was in a plastic bag from when i was trapping over the summer so i'm HOPING it was the bait.

i reset them in different spots on the same body of water tonight with new/fresh cat food.  after cutting a hole i looked down and saw a little shiner swimming in the muddy water.  i KNOW they're in there...very strange...

i'll let you know how it goes in the AM.  if i get nothing tonight i'll switch to bread.  this is just weird....

Offline lake snake

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:57 PM »
 Welcome aboard!

Offline Natty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Only fish on days that end in y
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:15 PM »
Try suspending the trap 2or 3 feet below the ice.
I've done so much with so little for so long i can now do the impossible with nothing.

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:27 AM »
got a single shiner and a guppy in one trap and nothing in the other three.  reset the traps with bread.  if i get nothing i'm going to a different location.  dunno what's going on  ??? ??? ???

Offline hardwatergrampa

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:16 AM »
well i for one dont have any luck with those black traps the silver one works fine  cut your hole then take 2 slices of bread and work it in your hands so that the crumbs fall in the water like little grains of sand  kinda like chumming the fish if you have a spot light shine it in the hole in a few min you should see some shiners  break up some bread put it in your trap and set it 2-3 feet under the ice wait about a half hr and check your trap
in god we trust

Offline deerme

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 09:18 AM »
well i for one dont have any luck with those black traps the silver one works fine  cut your hole then take 2 slices of bread and work it in your hands so that the crumbs fall in the water like little grains of sand  kinda like chumming the fish if you have a spot light shine it in the hole in a few min you should see some shiners  break up some bread put it in your trap and set it 2-3 feet under the ice wait about a half hr and check your trap

some good tips here, thanks!

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:45 PM »
welcome to IS

I also use the black traps (have 2 of them). I use a bagel in small pieces and do very well. They don't break up as much and makes them swim in.
I set mine right on the bottom in about 3-5 fow. Good luck.

Offline KiddCrappie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Hi All, After Reading hardwaterAL's Quote I Figured Id Have A Go..,,,,
 I Just Wanted To Say Thanks To The IS.Com. Family And Let You Know How Much I Enjoy This Place. I Too Have Just Joined And Love It...  I Mostly Fish S.NH/N.MA Just Due To Scheduling,But Like Hearing Bout The North, Again... Thanks Guys !!!!!  KC.
LOVES2FISH

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.