Author Topic: Pike caught on Winnisquam  (Read 11156 times)

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Pike caught on Winnisquam
« on: Jan 10, 2010, 03:51 PM »
 :-\ two out of the three times I've been out, i have caught pike here. both about 18-20 inches on jigs tipped with cut smelt. anyone else see the same :-\ :-\

Offline pipes18079

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pike caught on Winnisquam
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2010, 03:53 PM »
 :o

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:02 PM »
When was our last pike caught on Winnisquam? Any photos of the recent catchs?
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:05 PM »
When was our last pike caught on Winnisquam? Any photos of the recent catchs?

ron,
I remember on Labor Day weekend that monster a guy caught there.

-Scott

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:11 PM »
Oh I do Scott, I was just trying to find out if these were recent catches or from last year.

Offline LT-taker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:13 PM »
AWESOME..... There breeding!!!!
Work....... Plenty of time for that in the summer...

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Oh I do Scott, I was just trying to find out if these were recent catches or from last year.
caught them this past week (2010)

Offline SmellsLikeFishNH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:18 PM »

Its "their" and not awesome at all, they will eat all the Salmon and other fish that are trying to have a sustainable population in that lake. They didnt occur there naturally, so they shouldnt be there at all.

That being said, I wouldnt mind catching one.....

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:22 PM »

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:27 PM »
I'm not saying pike should be in every lake but take a look back over the last 50 -75 years and see what the state has stocked in different lakes and you'll be shocked at what we think is "native"

Offline possumilk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lakes Region
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:29 PM »
how many feet of water did you catch them in and was it the north end or the south end?
>))))))>

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:40 PM »
caught them this past week (2010)

Did you get a photo of one of them Winnisquam Guy?

Offline coreyl302

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fish NH
« Reply #12 on: Jan 10, 2010, 04:50 PM »
Im not the biggest fan of Pike but I think they should be stocked in the medium size warm water ponds because of good fight they put up. My big question is where are the walleye. They should be stocked in any lake thats more then forty feet deep and isn't managed for lake trout. 
It's the journey, not the destination.

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2010, 05:01 PM »
This state is stuck on trout stocking.50% of the guy's I fish with target crappie and I'd say that's pretty close to what I've read on this site over the years. How many of the lakes were stoked with crappie by the state? A new stocking policy could spice up the fishing in this state. Pike, splake, walleye, are all possibility's in this state.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2010, 05:48 PM »
There's another fish that was stock in NH waters by Bucket Biologist The Black Crappie. Now there taking over some of out finer fish lake and ponds.

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2010, 05:57 PM »
Thumber, What "Native" fish are the crappie taking over,  stocked brook trout, stocked rainbow trout, stocked brown trout, stocked salmon, stocked walleye, stocked lake trout, stocked smelt, stocked pike, or the stocked large mouth bass?

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2010, 06:07 PM »
All depends on what body of water you are taking about. Fish are stock in certain body of waters for a reason, introducing a fish like crappie into a trout pond is only hurting the growth of these fish. In Winni the way Crappie multiply they will over take the smelt.

In NH there are very few NATIVE fish to out state.

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Largemouth Bass, salmon, smelt, brown trout, rainbow trout, walleye, all stocked on the same local pond here in town. This is stocking for a reason?

Crappie wiping out the smelt in Winni?  Pretty funny stuff.

Offline swains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2010, 07:32 PM »
This is exactly what happens when F&G neglects the warmwater fishery in this state. Clowns take matters into their own hands and these fish are then put into random lakes. F&G must take notice that people want the chance to fish for pike, musky, walleye, etc... in this state. They shouldn't have to drive 2+ hours to do so. I've called them on this and they always complain about cost/budget. A warmwater stocking program could easily be instituted if they would allocate some of the money from the trout/salmon budget and put it towards this. Let's face it. A lot of the money goes into stocking 8-12" trout into ponds and streams that simply can't sustain these fish once summer time comes. It's put and take and there's no other way to label it. I'm not saying to do away with this, I'm simply saying to take some of these dollars and devote them to a warmwater stocking program managed by professionals, not some bucket biologists. It's ludicrous that all of our license dollars goes into stocking fish species that don't reproduce naturally in our lakes. Some of this should go into stocking fish that have a much better chance to reproduce and grow to trophy size. Even if these fish didn't reproduce as expected, they could still be stocked similar to the put and take philosophy with trout/salmon. Lovell Lake comes to mind. Walleye were stocked in the past 10 years and there were confirmed catches of fish over 8 lbs. Why was this stocking stopped? I called F&G and they said they weren't reproducing so it wasn't cost effective. I asked them about trout reproduction and this same logic and all I got was a lot of "ah's and well's". In other words, they had no response. Same thing goes with putting in pike in Massabesic and abandoning it soon after. Heck, if they don't want these fish to reproduce, put in tiger muskie, which are sterile. I would like to fish for ALL species in our great state and not have to drive forever to do so. We can have two tier fisheries that hold trophy cold and warmwater fish. Go fish the Finger Lakes in NY and you'll see what I mean. F&G simply can't decide to put warmwater fish in a couple lakes and expect it to ever be successful. We all know what happens. Word gets out and the lake gets hammered and the rest is history. There are plenty of waterbodies in southern/central NH that could be used to stock pike,walleye, musky, etc.... Put them in a good number of lakes to spread out the pressure and I think there would be some positive results. We can have it both ways in NH. We shouldn't have to settle for one or the other. I honestly feel we could have both trophy cold and warmwater fisheries in this state with some reallocation of our license dollars. Sadly, until F&G realizes this, I think we're going to see more and more illegal stockings in the future. I love to fish for all species (trout,salmon,bass, pike, walleye etc...) Not sure what everybody thinks about this, but I'm interested to see if my feelings are shared by others. Good, civil debate never hurt anyone.

Thanks,
Chris

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2010, 07:49 PM »
Its "their" and not awesome at all, they will eat all the Salmon and other fish that are trying to have a sustainable population in that lake. They didnt occur there naturally, so they shouldnt be there at all.

That being said, I wouldnt mind catching one.....

I agree, that is why i posted this, you can chum them up as well as anything else

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2010, 07:51 PM »
how many feet of water did you catch them in and was it the north end or the south end?
north end, one was in 20 feet, the other 28 feet. both fish hit a jig tipped with cut smelt

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 10, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Did you get a photo of one of them Winnisquam Guy?
no, they were 18-20 inches, if i catch another , i will, i confirmed the species on a fish chart i have, there is no doubt what they were

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2010, 07:56 PM »
There's another fish that was stock in NH waters by Bucket Biologist The Black Crappie. Now there taking over some of out finer fish lake and ponds.
as well as rock bass, people should leave fisheries managment to the pros

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:04 PM »
This is exactly what happens when F&G neglects the warmwater fishery in this state. Clowns take matters into their own hands and these fish are then put into random lakes. F&G must take notice that people want the chance to fish for pike, musky, walleye, etc... in this state. They shouldn't have to drive 2+ hours to do so. I've called them on this and they always complain about cost/budget. A warmwater stocking program could easily be instituted if they would allocate some of the money from the trout/salmon budget and put it towards this. Let's face it. A lot of the money goes into stocking 8-12" trout into ponds and streams that simply can't sustain these fish once summer time comes. It's put and take and there's no other way to label it. I'm not saying to do away with this, I'm simply saying to take some of these dollars and devote them to a warmwater stocking program managed by professionals, not some bucket biologists. It's ludicrous that all of our license dollars goes into stocking fish species that don't reproduce naturally in our lakes. Some of this should go into stocking fish that have a much better chance to reproduce and grow to trophy size. Even if these fish didn't reproduce as expected, they could still be stocked similar to the put and take philosophy with trout/salmon. Lovell Lake comes to mind. Walleye were stocked in the past 10 years and there were confirmed catches of fish over 8 lbs. Why was this stocking stopped? I called F&G and they said they weren't reproducing so it wasn't cost effective. I asked them about trout reproduction and this same logic and all I got was a lot of "ah's and well's". In other words, they had no response. Same thing goes with putting in pike in Massabesic and abandoning it soon after. Heck, if they don't want these fish to reproduce, put in tiger muskie, which are sterile. I would like to fish for ALL species in our great state and not have to drive forever to do so. We can have two tier fisheries that hold trophy cold and warmwater fish. Go fish the Finger Lakes in NY and you'll see what I mean. F&G simply can't decide to put warmwater fish in a couple lakes and expect it to ever be successful. We all know what happens. Word gets out and the lake gets hammered and the rest is history. There are plenty of waterbodies in southern/central NH that could be used to stock pike,walleye, musky, etc.... Put them in a good number of lakes to spread out the pressure and I think there would be some positive results. We can have it both ways in NH. We shouldn't have to settle for one or the other. I honestly feel we could have both trophy cold and warmwater fisheries in this state with some reallocation of our license dollars. Sadly, until F&G realizes this, I think we're going to see more and more illegal stockings in the future. I love to fish for all species (trout,salmon,bass, pike, walleye etc...) Not sure what everybody thinks about this, but I'm interested to see if my feelings are shared by others. Good, civil debate never hurt anyone.

Thanks,
Chris
as a cold water purist, i would rather manage the the bodies of water stocked according to their biological make up. cold water lakes with cold water fish. In a perfect world, we wouldn't have to stock at all but we all know that simply isn't the case. f&g has spent a great deal of money over the years on creating quality fisheries on the big lakes, it is just someone's ignorant self interest that may spoil the fishery i enjoy

Offline nhpikeking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:40 PM »
illegal stocking is stupid hands down. i agree with swains on alot of things, f&g does neglect the warm water fisheries its like why do i even buy a lisence that money just goes to trout id like to see a few muskie in this state if you had a tag system much like you do for broodstock salmon the revenue would be amazing a ton of ppl would like a chance to catch fish like that one thing i will say in the trout/warmwater fish thing a few years back they stocked a few pike in to a couple lakes and most of those lakes still have a sustainable population yet trout have to be stocked every year i can only imagine how much that cost dont get me wrong id love to see the trout take in the lakes and breed itd be amazing but it wont other than lake trout and i believe the landlock salmon do breed as well. i was told last year the state was exploring re opening the walleye stocking program so maybe sumday, i had the idea of starting a muskie club like some states to raise funds for a muskie/pike stocking program but i need more people on board,  ppl dont realize how many ppl want to fish for muskie they go all the way up to fort kent maine just for that chance as for pike being in winnisquam i dont like that sumone dumped them in there and said person should get in trouble but while there in there i will fish for them and have fun doing it because thats what fishing is about am i right ?

catch pike like its my job

Offline swains

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:15 PM »
NH PIKE KING,

I'm on board with you. Let's see the response this post gets and then maybe a group of us could petition F&G for changes. I'd be happy to contribute money as long as it's done right and not half --s.

Chris

Offline coreyl302

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice fish NH
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:27 PM »
swains is totally right. To me its a joke that I have to go so far to catch all the game fish.Personally I think NH F&G doesnt seem up to par with the other states. Theres alot of wasted money and now we get to pay for ocean fishing aswell.
It's the journey, not the destination.

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife said its her or the Vexilar,we'll miss her
« Reply #27 on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:39 PM »
Swains is right.What happened to the coho program?Why couldn't they put Chinook salmon in a few coastal rivers or a few lakes?Walleye in one or two lakes or river systems?Tiger muskie in a few lakes?They keep trying searun brown trout,why not steelhead?Maybe then they would bring in a few tourist dollars?LLS
If everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishingpoles.......... ..............Remember we all live downstream

Offline LT-taker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:49 AM »
 With any luck I can use the correct spelling this time.. It's like being on the fishlakewinni site...
Anyway, with all the bait in that lake, It could turn into very good Pike water...
 In my own opinion, I don't think this water wolf is going to eat every salmon in the lake, but I do see where they could change the population of a few species... This thread could, and might go on and on.. They are in there, and I'm fine with that!!!      Good luck out there... :P :'(
Work....... Plenty of time for that in the summer...

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 11, 2010, 08:20 AM »
coho program?Why couldn't they put Chinook salmon
They tried for years and spent hundred's of thousands of dollars. The fish do not take and they don't return. Look at the Atlantic Salmon fishery, they try to maintain it, hoping they will return up the rivers and maybe 50 fish they say return, out of 800 or so they stock? Not good odds, if it was not for the special permitts you have to buy they would have stopped this one too. That atleast supplements the cost to stock them.

No different for Coho program they tried in the 70' and 80's.......

In an ideal world, hey it would be awesome to have F&G stock Muskie, pike, walleye, all salmon and trout species. But it's not possible on the funding, they need to pick there battles and over time trout fishing brings in more money than other species, so they stick with that.
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.