The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Your Best Ice Auger Recommendation  (Read 22601 times)

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
Your Best Ice Auger Recommendation
« on: Apr 06, 2004, 12:24 AM »
What in your opinion is the best power ice auger to purchase? What model and cost?

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: Your Best Ice Auger Recommendation
« Reply #1 on: Apr 06, 2004, 08:08 PM »
That's a loaded question.. ;) My vote is the Nils Master. It's light (23# for an 8"), fast (24" of ice in 9 seconds or less), well made, can cut 42" of ice (no extension needed), and is very comfortable to use (Handle design and requires no down pressure). Cost will be $479....I know, not cheap.

Here is a video of a race between a Nils (mine) and a Jiffy Model 30...both are 8" augers. I also "raced" a Strikemaster, two Jiffy's, and an Eskimo on another day with the same result. However, my cameraman was asleep at the wheel. >:( ::)

Here is the link to my video page....http://fishingvermont.net/Rev%203/Video_page.htm

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2004, 09:17 AM »
Some people have to learn the hard way that speed isn't everything. I like a dependable auger that will last and take a beating. Reel are you talking hand auger or gas powered?

http://www.ardisam.com/Eskimo/eskimoHome.htm
http://www.jiffy-on-ice.com/
http://www.nilsmaster.com/PowerAuger.htm
http://www.strikemaster.com/

-Scott

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline reelcharacter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bluegills, That's how it all got started . . .
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2004, 10:30 AM »
Scott,

I was referring to power ice augers. I have seen a couple of models that have interchangeable heads for ice or earth. I could purchase one for earth use this summer (tax write off for my business) and use it for with an ice blade for winter.

If I can narrow it down to a couple top picks, then I would call the manufacturer to discuss the two interchangeable augers question.

The important selection criteria to me are;
Power head dependability (starting ease and starting under all weather conditions, maintenance . . .)
Light weight (fairly important)
Quiet (fairly important)
Speed (nice, but not the most important)

I know some ice heads just sit on the ice surface and you have to apply the pressure, (as is the case with the hand augers I have), less safe and quite tiring. For an ice powered auger, I would want one that “pulled” down through the ice, rather than a style that relied upon the weight of the unit or the pressure applied from the user.

-Thanks for the advice!
-Reelcharacter
PM me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2004, 03:04 PM »
Reelcharacter,
Scott is correct about wanting a dependable auger. I think as long as you are buying new, all the augers (bigger names) that are being sold will be dependable. As far as using it for an earth auger....I think you will find the ones used for earth will have a different (slower) rpm then the ice augers. This means you will probably have to make a performance compromise on the ice or on land.

If you plan on fishing in an area with a lot of debris on/in the ice, a shaving style auger (Nils Master, Strikmaster Lazer Mag Express) is not a good choice. Your best choice in those situations would be a chipper style. However, with a chipper you need a larger motor (more weight), and it will cut slower. With any decision there are trade offs.

I looked at augers for 2 years before buying my Nils (Used quite a few too). I chose mine for the following reasons....

Light....(Sick of carring around the 43# Jiffy)
Fast....I cut a LOT of holes.
Service....Tanaka motors have 2x the service life of a Tecunseh motor.
Where I fish....I tend not to fish where there is a lot of dirt/crap on the ice.
42" cut with no extension. Easier on my back when cutting thicker ice.

If I had planned on cutting holes near ice roads, bridges, rivers where branches/trees/etc get frozen into the ice, I probably would have stayed with a chipper auger.

If you don't buy one until next winter and you come over to fish Champlain, let me know and I'll let you try mine.

Good luck,do your research, and I'm sure you will be happy with what you get.

Bob

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2004, 03:34 PM »
reel, I have to agree wholeheartedly with Esox.  I have had the predecessor to the Nils for 15 years, and have only had to do one carb job, and that was this past fall.  The Tanaka engine, coupled to an 8" flighting, digs holes like a possessed badger.  While it is small and the lightest of all, it has all kinds of jam.  They are probably the easiest starting of all engines, with the possible exception of Husqvarna(my second choice in an auger).  The weight is a major factor, as you are not tearing your guts out packing it around!!!  Give the Nils a good look!!

trapperdirk

« Reply #6 on: Apr 10, 2004, 01:13 PM »
Does the Nils come with a head that cuts a good fish size hole such as 10 inch .? ;D

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #7 on: Apr 10, 2004, 02:17 PM »
Nope...No 10" bit. The only 10" ones will be chipper style augers. I don't have much need for one that big. Even if I caught the state record fish (VT) for all the species I fish for (pike, walleye, bass, salmon, etc) I would not have a problem with an 8" hole. I tend my holes, so hole shrinkage in not an issue....BTW, The "Chipper Dipper" scoop is one of the greatest inventions. ;) I had a 10" before, and it was truely overkill for where I fish. If you are in a place where you can catch 30# plus lake trout and such...I'd say go for the 10".

raleigh

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 10:07 PM »
For the price I dont think you can beat Eskimo power augers. Plus they get the job done.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Jul 02, 2004, 10:47 AM »
The reason I use a 10" auger is not only for the size of fish I catch, it is the cover I am near. 80lb test won't pull through the weeds I am fishing.

Also where I am at we dont get much snow, combine a 20mph wind with below zero temps with no snow on ice and a 8" is not 8" inches for long. That chipper dipper won't last long either you'll bend and snap that skimmer right off. I recommend using jiffy's mille lacs spud for opening holes back up. With that chipper you can actually open the hole bigger than the original drill, expensive but worth it.

-Scott

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #10 on: Aug 02, 2004, 01:45 PM »
Scott,
I actually take the chipper dipper and cut the handle in half, then I mount it to a piece of wooden closet rod about 2' long. This makes it work like a mini spud bar, keeps my hands from freezing to it, and makes it light enough so I can carry it around. I don't have any breakage problems either. I fish in northern VT about 1/2 mile from the CA border, so I'm dealing with the same conditions you are.  I'm thinking about making some compact hole covers this year (was going to do it last year.. ::) ) I'll let you know how they work.

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Aug 04, 2004, 06:45 AM »
You think Jiffy should beef that chipper dipper up a bit? If it doesn't bend the skimmer part breaks off, I had to add a some re-bar to the handle and put some heavier rivits to hold the skimmer part. Big Pete makes his own small hand chippers very nice and very strong.

-Scott

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #12 on: Aug 04, 2004, 09:31 AM »
I agree....I think they make them for the casual user. I tend to be on the ice more then most and I use my equipment a little harder. The last one I modified, I poped the rivits out and put bolts in. That one was stolen with the rest of my gear last Dec. I'll make a new one this year, but I think I might weld it this time.

I like the wooden handle I use  because I don't wear gloves very offten and I don't like my wet hands on cold steel.  ::)

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #13 on: Aug 06, 2004, 02:01 PM »
this will be my 8" 2 hp eskimos 18th year with a new replacement bit last year its just like new!!when its time for a new one i wont even consider a different kind :D

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Aug 30, 2004, 10:44 AM »
The reason I use a 10" auger is not only for the size of fish I catch, it is the cover I am near. 80lb test won't pull through the weeds I am fishing.
Also where I am at we dont get much snow, combine a 20mph wind with below zero temps with no snow on ice and a 8" is not 8" inches for long. That chipper dipper won't last long either you'll bend and snap that skimmer right off. I recommend using jiffy's mille lacs spud for opening holes back up. With that chipper you can actually open the hole bigger than the original drill, expensive but worth it.

-Scott

Found a pic of the evil cane I speak of.

A fish like this one on light line and you'll be soooo glad you have a ten inch hole.

-Scott

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #15 on: Aug 30, 2004, 12:23 PM »
Scott,
Those weeds look nasty. Maybe you sould work on a tip-up/weedwacker combo. ;D

trapperdirk

« Reply #16 on: Aug 30, 2004, 08:14 PM »
Agreed Scott . Ten inch holes are a must up here I know in the land of the giants . Mind you it is good for some chuckles watching a guy try and chisel a hole bigger in 3ft of ice with a big fish on . The air always ends up turning blue . LOL ;D We many times even do double the ten inch size and chisel out the center . ;)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2004, 01:39 PM »
I think weight is a non issue. No matter wether its 40# or 25# 100 yards later you wish you had a stick of dynamite to open the holes. Now that would be fast. And light. We all have a sled or shack or ATV to move the actual auger around rather than carrying it. I love my Jiffy Stealth. Is it the best auger ever made? I dont know. Is it better than the Nils? For me yes cuase Nils was too tall for me to feel safe using. Best thing about the Jiffy is the huge fuel tank. If I was 4" taller I might have purchased the Nils. I actually walked into the store to get the Nils and didnt cause of its heighth. Only auger I would reccommend not buying is the Lazer Mag Ultra. Worst Blade Under the Sun. That should be stamped into the cutting head. What a junker.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #18 on: Sep 16, 2004, 04:59 PM »
Lazer Mag Ultra blades $#@^%^&&^$@!!!!
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 16, 2004, 06:16 PM »
I would have typed longer Flash King.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2004, 07:42 PM »
I purchased my Nils Master at Fish 307.Com. Jeff the owner, had J.P. at Nils Master USA make shorter auger bits, the end of the heighth problem.

aqua-jet

« Reply #21 on: Oct 24, 2004, 03:04 PM »
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-If you can afford it; Get a Husqvarna or Normark Fin Bore III! These might be the most expensive ice augers; but the are simply the BEST, and you get what you pay for.

They are Light-weight, "Half the weight of other ice augers", comes equiped with a catalytic converter for no annoying blue smoke, low fuel consumption, an Air Purge system for Cold starts (re-circulation of hot exhaust gases, inorder to make starting easy in cold weather).
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 24, 2004, 04:47 PM »
I got to say Jiffy makes a quality auger heavy when your cutting 100+ holes a day but our 3horse is at least 15 yrs old and still runs like  a champ! My GF's uncle got a husky last year and says it is amazing half the weight and  cuts like a hot knife through butter i can't wait to try er out but as of now JIFFY RULES!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.