Author Topic: who would have thought..  (Read 13110 times)

Offline smellinfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
who would have thought..
« on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:28 PM »
Two winters ago a buddy and I were out on a friends small pond and we had 4 poles total going in holes about 20 feet apart. We had the poles laying on the ice which we figured they would be ok since we weren't getting any bites anyways after a few hours. I just happened to look over and one of the poles was starting to move so I tried scooting my feet (there was no snow at all just smooth ice) as fast as I could without falling and just as I bent down to grab the pole the fish took it down and I slipped  :o and slid over the hole. I was just in street clothes (jeans and heavy coat) because it was a nice day. That day ended with cold wet clothes and no fish.

A year later...same pond..I saw the same guy I was fishing with out there so I stopped by for a minute to see how things were going and he happened to have an underwater camera so I was just drilling holes checking out different spots for him and in one spot I just let the camera sit on the bottom (about 7 feet) and something caught my eye....it was that pole we lost and the fish dead laying on the bottom still on the hook right next to it. The fish had got tangled in underwater brush and died. The guy who owned it had some saltwater rods so we were able to drill another hole and retrieve the pole back. It wasn't in any good working condition but with some cleaning up it turned out fine. Who would have thought that I would have found it and been able to get it back?   

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: who would have thought..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:33 PM »
now thats lucky. I guy lost a gas auger through the ice a few years ago, now if I could only remember which lake.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline iluvgillz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2010, 11:10 PM »
ha, good story. One summer on a mid sized lake, me and a few buddies were having some drinks on the pontoon when suddenly it became a good idea to drag a pile of us behind on some flotation device of some sorts. Well, one dude lost his shorts in the drunken mess. Low and behold, the next day while in an entirely different part of the lake, what do you think got caught up on the (what should of been up) ladder off the front of the boat? You got it! Thanks lake!

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:05 PM »
i lost a thermos full of coffee and baily's on my way out of a remote pond at the end of the season a few years ago
i didn't notice it was gone till i got home. it was too far to drive back to get it, so i counted it a loss.
the next year on my way back n there, i noticed something shiny in the brush- my thermos!!
i opened it up, and lo and behold- the coffee was still hot!!

i'll cool down my coffee if you lose the dead fish... ;D
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:10 PM »

Thats what I was thinking..... ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2010, 04:47 PM »
Sorry if you guys don't enjoy reading my story but i posted it to be one of my fishing experiences. If you don't believe me thats fine but don't post smart a** remarks. Thank you.
Easy there big guy, there just jerking your chain.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2010, 05:41 AM »
sorry, didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

i guess truth is stranger than fiction
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline Mounter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:00 AM »
i lost a thermos full of coffee and baily's on my way out of a remote pond at the end of the season a few years ago
i didn't notice it was gone till i got home. it was too far to drive back to get it, so i counted it a loss.
the next year on my way back n there, i noticed something shiny in the brush- my thermos!!
i opened it up, and lo and behold- the coffee was still hot!!

:roflmao: Hot coffee :roflmao: We had a Bluegill die in our aquarium while on vacation and it was just a bunch of scattered bones when we got home.

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2010, 05:33 PM »
I have seen someone loose a brand new 8" Lazer Auger because he drilled a hole half way then left the auger sit in that hole. Problem was there was only about 4" of ice. Wonder if its still down there???? Hope he is reading this.. HA HA HA
Gator Nation

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:05 AM »
We dropped one of the Frabil metal hangers down the hole in about 15 ft of water.  The next day we brought the Aqua-Vu out, located the hanger and hooked it with a swedish pimple.  It was one of the only things we caught that day! :)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2010, 12:07 PM »
How about this one... ;D

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:27 PM »
I wouldnt eat anything out of that lake if that fish was still there a year later...sounds lake it might be a lake full of formaldehyde

Offline Turbolance

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2010, 05:23 PM »
coffee was still warm lol

Offline walleyewhisperer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • hastings hero
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:33 PM »
i caught a lantern a few years ago eh.....can you believe the thing was still lit.  Both me and the unicorn i rode out on were astonished
hastings hero

Offline eyepod.barnes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • catch and release in hot grease
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2010, 12:05 PM »
 last fishing trip i bought a 12 pac of budweiser, i was shocked to find all the cans were empty??? figure that one out!!! ;)
I can't wait for hell to freeze over.... so I can icefish it!!!!

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2010, 05:51 PM »
Yeah, somethings smellinfishy...  :roflmao: :roflmao:
But i can beleive the hot coffee..   :whistle:  assumming the sun was shining.. it would heat up the coffee.. ever leave a garden hose lay in the sun ??   :

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2010, 03:58 PM »
Is it possible that the original fish was gone and 11.5 months later another fish ate the jig and that was the one he found dead lying there? Just a thought.
I have fished at Least three rods out from under the ice over the years. Last year I actually got the fish after the line snagged on the camera. The fish must have wrapped around the camera cable as we were lowering the camera. All rods were fished out within 1 hour of losing them.
One of the last times we went my Girlfriend broke off on a fish and @ 1/2 hour later caught the same fish a 16" Kokanee. She unhooked it and was wondering why there was still line coming out of the fishes mouth. We both got a good laugh after that one.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline spoxick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:32 PM »
dropped our camera battry down the hole this year ... sucked luckly my dad had his cam out that day too managed to catch it with a spoon  through the tiny little hole on the tab got it back out :)

and a few years ago i went up north and caught a rod took it to the lodge and the guys knew whose it was kinda cool ...

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:53 AM »
now thats a catch of a lifetime!!!  -moose
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline GiantSquid

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:21 PM »
We were fishing a pier in Tampa, Florida and my brother left a rod unattended for a minute or two while setting up another rig. It got pulled off the pier into the water.  He threw the other jig (a bucktail with a treble hook in after it and pulled it up on the first try.  It was a desperate attempt to save a good rod/reel but he made it look easy.  He says it was skill but quietly admits that it was just good luck and though the fish was gone somehow, he managed to get the rod back.  We still laugh about that one.

Offline KAJABA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoy life. No one gets out alive.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:19 AM »
Two years ago I was ice fishing Irondequoit Bay, New York. Had my rod, reel, and rod holder pulled in by some kind of fish. Never saw it again. Go figure.

Offline fightem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2010, 09:45 AM »
Quite a few years ago I was fishing for walleye in a river with a bit of a current. That morning I bought a new ice scoop,to clean out my hole. My brother walked by and kicked it in the water by accident . Well I was fishing for about an hour or so and and I was fishing just on the bottom. I felt something heavy and proceeded  to pull it up and I saw what I thought was my scoop. It was someone else`s scoop. I though cool at least I have a scoop now. Then I fished for about another hour or two and felt something else heavy. I couldn`t believe it it was my new scoop. So you never know what weird thing can happen out there. One time I was fishing off a dock and the fishing was slow.I started to cast around and got a heavy object on the bottom. I reeled it in and it was a stringer full of live fish. About thirty fish and they were all alive. That`s fishing ,at it`s weirdest......

Offline OUTHNTN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing makes a bigger fish than one almost caught
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2010, 01:41 PM »
ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO, A BUDDY AND I WERE NIGHT FISHING A SMALL RESERVOIR FROM A BOAT WHERE YOU COULD USE 2 POLES PER PERSON.  NEEDLESS TO SAY, IT'S HARD TO KEEP BOTH POLES IN YOUR HANDS AND STILL FISH SO SINCE WE DIDN'T HAVE ROD HOLDERS, WE'D JUST PROP ONE UP AND KEEP AN EYE ON IT.  IT JUST HAPPENED TO BE ONE OF THOSE NIGHTS WHEN WE WERE CATCHING FISH EVERY FEW MINUTES, SO THE ACTION WAS FAST AND FURIOUS.  AS I WAS NETTING A FISH FOR MY BUDDY, I NOTICED ONE OF MY POLES WAS GONE AND THE OTHER ONE WAS BENT AND BEING PULLED OUT OF THE BOAT.  WELL, AS YOU PROBABLY GUESSED, IT FLIPPED RIGHT OUT AND INTO THE WATER.  I TRIED TO GET IT TANGLED IN THE NET, BUT WASN'T QUICK ENOUGH.  IT'S MIDNIGHT, I DON'T HAVE ANY POLES LEFT AND MY BUDDY WANTS TO KEEP FISHING TO TRY AND GET HIS LIMIT.  SO I TOOK THE ANCHOR FOR A FEW MINUTES AND DREDGED THE LAKE BOTTOM UNTIL HE SAID ALL MY COMMOTION WAS RUINING THE FISHING.  I CHALKED THE EXPERIENCE UP TO A LESSON LEARNED AND JUST NETTED HIS FISH FOR THE REST OF THE NIGHT.  TWO WEEKENDS LATER WE DECIDED TO GO NIGHT FISHING AT THE SAME PLACE AGAIN(WE INSTALLED 2 ROD HOLDERS IN THE MEANTIME!) AND I JOKED WITH HIM I'D GIVE HIM 20 BUCKS PER ROD IF HE COULD SNAG 'EM AND GET 'EM BACK.  WOULDN'T YOU KNOW, THE VERY FIRST FISH HE CAUGHT WAS A 2 POUND 'BOW WITH 2 OTHER LINES COMING OUT OF IT'S MOUTH.  I STILL THINK I OWE HIM $40!!

Offline indyjones

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:26 PM »
How about this one... ;D

lmao that was good

Offline eyecatcher00

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:55 AM »
last year i had a rod get taken down the hole. went back 2 days later with the camera and found it. took me about 4 or 5 holes to get right on top of it but i managed to hook it and get it back.

Offline buttlesdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 19, 2010, 10:16 AM »
A few years ago in the salt water fishing about 70 Feet deep a rod with bait sitting in the holder started running. I was cutting more bait and picked up the rod with slimy hands and whoosh... the rod flew out of my hands.... gone... Nice Tica setup, probably about 300 bucks... I was miserable but didnt show it, I had 2 friends on the boat and took it like a man...

About half hour later we get a double hookup, I reel in 1 rod, a friend the other. I bring up a 12 lb Bluefish, he brings up.... the other rod... the other guy grabs the rod and reels in a nice 14 lb bluefish... we lauged our butts off... what are the odds in the wide open sea? I later gave the lucky rod and reel to my little cousin who is going nuts for fishing these days.... told him it was lucky and should serve him well.... told him the story, he name it boomerang.... lol

Offline swillerjig

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fish On!!!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 19, 2010, 08:46 PM »
I've lost several pairs of sunglasses down the hole, can't stand those straps but thats why I buy 5$ glasses ;D
Fishing is not a hobby it's a way of life!!!

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2010, 05:14 AM »
Whe we first started icefishing back in the 70's, we didn't own an auger...used a spud bar. Well 3 of us go out fishing one nasty winter day and we're gonna take turns cutting one hole at a time,set your tipup,next guys turn. Ice is about 2' thick, lots of chopping. My brother goes first, hole starts out the size of a pizza pan to get a big enough hole on the bottom to bring a fish through. He almost gets through, and hits a log!!! Next it's my turn...not gonna let that happen. Start off the same size as he did, chopping..chopping..fi nally break through, clear the hole with scoop and see the bottom of the hole needs a little more work. Forget to put the rope from the handle around my wrist, and in one powerful chop...sent the spud straight down to the bottom! Our buddy never even got to start his hole...maybe that's why some people call us "ICE-HOLES"!!!  I don't think an aqua view would have helped us too much that day...lol.

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 21, 2010, 09:01 AM »
Whe we first started icefishing back in the 70's, we didn't own an auger...used a spud bar. Well 3 of us go out fishing one nasty winter day and we're gonna take turns cutting one hole at a time,set your tipup,next guys turn. Ice is about 2' thick, lots of chopping. My brother goes first, hole starts out the size of a pizza pan to get a big enough hole on the bottom to bring a fish through. He almost gets through, and hits a log!!! Next it's my turn...not gonna let that happen. Start off the same size as he did, chopping..chopping..fi nally break through, clear the hole with scoop and see the bottom of the hole needs a little more work. Forget to put the rope from the handle around my wrist, and in one powerful chop...sent the spud straight down to the bottom! Our buddy never even got to start his hole...maybe that's why some people call us "ICE-HOLES"!!!  I don't think an aqua view would have helped us too much that day...lol.

Was getting ready to post one very similar to that.  I have a spud at the bottom of a lake here and every time I go out on a boat or walk by the area on the ice, for some reason I think I could still get it out of there lol

Offline stripers77

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • tip-up
« Reply #29 on: Jan 22, 2010, 06:42 PM »
ive caught multiple rods in the ocean... but the truly amazing story is the one about cod jigging. ok, so we were cod jigging in 75ft of water about 5 miles offshore and my friend loses a cod jig. he lost it because i was bring up a bluefish that circled under the boat and happened to have his mouth open when he passes by his line. we ended up moving around sliding from place to place traveling about half a mile when we move. about three hours later i caught a small perch. I could barely feel the fish so i didnt real it up immediatly. then i noticed a little more weight so i thought my jig was screwed up. when i realed up i noticed there was a line tangled to the jig... about 30ft and then our lost jig!! :o i couldn't believe it.. with the tide and all. truly amazing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.